1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello to all my fellow colt fans, I have a question, I am a leftie( I know) but I have a NIB colt 1991 commander. I dont have a ambi safety on it yet. I still want to carry the pistol off duty. Would you carry it with the hammer down and no round in the chamber? I have been practicing clearing the gun from my Kydex holster, jacking the slide back and come onto target. I am getting better. what do you guys think? would you recommend that type of carry? thanks in advance for the advice.

.........."I prefer the old 1911." "served my country well." Robert de Neiro.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Good ol' Israeli draw, huh? I've never tried it, but supposedly it can be done very quickly. I assume you are leaving the manual safety off when you carry? Just rack the slide and you're ready to go?

I'd prefer to carry in condition 1, but then my thumb and the safety are on the same side.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I would go ahead and use condition 1.

Lots of 1911'ers, are righties, and have only single sided safetys, yet we still carry condition 1 and practice drawing w/ the left hand only. It only takes a moment to flip the thumb over and back.

Too, if you still want to stay condition 3.
Say your right arm is disabled, you can practice racking the gun off your belt after you draw. This can be done with suprising speed. But, don't practice it with live rounds!!!

Best of luck,
Elsworth

P.S. Why don't you start a movement to have a plunger tube put on the right side of the 1911 for lefties?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, i think you guys are right. I will start to carry "cocked-and locked" I tried it and it does only take a moment to flip my thumb over and manipulate the safety. thanks again!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Carry cocked and locked. Practice using your left thumb to take the safety down. I practice this way cause you never know when you could be injured and have to use your non-dominant hand.
Another solution would be to get an ambidextrous safety and install it. I've a close friend who is a lefty and that's the route he finally took.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Deception, what makes you think you are going to have both hands free to manipulate the gun when something bad happens? There is a good chance that you are going to need your off hand to fend off the bad guy in some manner, if even just to parry blows. You may need your off hand to be opening doors or to be carrying/dragging another to safety. How proficient are you as drawing your gun and racking the slide one handed while on the move?

If you can't draw and rack a round into chamber while on the move as quickly or efficiently as you can with both hands, then I suggest you not carry in Condition 3, but carry as the gun was designed, in Condition 1. In Condition 1, you can draw and fire one handed, leaving your off hand free to fend of blows, open doors, etc.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Well, you see this topic a lot. Probably because it always draws a crowd. The pistol was of course intended to be carried cocked & Locked (Condition 1). I doubt seriously that you will ever be required to "quick draw" but I guess it is a possibility however remote. In that case you would certainly want it C&L If you are lafthanded, you definitely need an ambidexterous safety.

OTOH, of late I saw several folks state that they wouldn't have a problem with cocked and unlocked. After all you have a grip safety! That's more than the GlochHeads have with C&L and no grip safety. Not sure I can recommend this but it is an option that has some logic and support.

Now if you expect to have plenty of time (i.e. as in keeping the firearm in the glove box of your truck) condition 3 would be fine. You could rack the slide while returning from the truck where you went to get the pistol. On second thought, if you have time to go to the truck, bring back the rifle instead. To me there is something inherently wrong with carring condition 3 when you have the pistol on you. If you are concerned enough to be carring, then be ready...Condition 1. Right or left handed.

Condition 2 is generally agreed to be unacceptable due to possible AD.

I really think you will find condition 1 will serve you best.......and go ahead an order the ambidexterous safety.......It isn't expensive as things go today and you can put it in yourself.

PigPen

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Cocked and Locked is really the best method. It eliminates a lot of extra manuvers that could be a problem.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,391 Posts
I REALLY don't like the idea of drawing the gun with only the fingers (as you would have to do if you were going to flip the standard safety off with the left thumb). You need the whole hand firmly grasping the gun when you are performing the draw. Condition 2, while the odds-on favorite for causing an AD, at least allows you to get the gun into action with one had (although you must also compromise your grip, if you are going to cock on the draw). Get the ambi ASAP.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I would go ahead and install the ambi thumb safety. There are trimmed "tactical" models for concealed carry that work well. Ed Brown or Cylinder and Slide make one. In a holster, Condition 1 is the way to go. An ambi safety will make it a viable possibility for you. Yet, a good smith could probably do a dedicated left-handed safety, if you prefer.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
This is off topic but I have a question for Decepticon about his 1911, de niro quote; when did he make that quote?

thanks,
greg

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Greg1911,

De Niro made that statement in the movie, Ronin. If you have not rented that movie, I recommend it highly.

Thanks,

WJR

1 - 15 of 15 Posts