1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For about a year, I have considered ways to carry what most would define as two main guns. That is two guns, each of which would be considered of good capacity and in a meaningful cartridge. I am a 1911 and revolver guy, so some combination of these are the confines of things I've thought out so far. There are three combinations that I think will work for me.

First, two 1911's are an obvious choice. A friend loaned me his Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster to try out. It seems that a 5" is too long, but my commander is OK. The 5" pushes against the back of my cover garment. I can't get enough up muzzle cant to get it all in my lighter weight jackets w/o it's muzzle pressing a noticable bump to the left of my shoulder blade. I also spent some time working on the draw stroke (unloaded, of course). It seems helpful to have the muzzle tilted a little upward in the holster. It feels better, is smoother, and I can better avoid covering my left arm when making a presentation from this horizontal carry holster. I could not get the Galco MC adjusted to the best place for this. As long as the SH mag carriers are fairly high on the right side, there is no interference with my normal vertical OWB, a Rusty Sherrick Gochenhour Extreme Hig Ride @ 3 o'clock, or, even better, my IWB, an Andrews MacDaniel II @ the same spot.

So, Shoulder holster options for a 1911? My preliminary look through everyone's offerings leads me toward Alessi, Andrews, and Galco Jackass. The two critical things appear to be: 1. the ability to have a slight upward pointing muzzle for a slight downward initial pull from the holster, and 2. a mag carrier that is up, probably horizontal vs vertical.

Your input on this first option would be appreciated. (For later: option 2 = 2 revlovers, option 3 = 1911 @ 3 and rev in SH.)

Thanks,
Tapper

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Trying to make sure I understand what you are asking - Are you looking for options for carrying a primary and a backup? So your primary would be IWB or OWB and your backup would be the shoulder holster in some combination of 1911 and revolver?

Or are you saying you would alternate between the two as a primary carry?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes

DirtyRod, More or less, yes. When carrying two, the primary, or maybe better said, the first place I'll go to, is the one @3. The shoulder holster is the backup. However, I would like to have the option of a bigger BUG than the 642 in my pocket that normally serves that purpose. A shoulder holster seems to be the way to go. Also, if it is impractical to carry on the hip, but a SH based weapon would work, then the one in the SH is the primary.
What I'm wondering is what shoulder holsters will allow for the clearances from the one @3 to get this done. I have noticed that the cant of the Miami Classic isn't optimum for me. So, given the info from my first post, does anyone have any thoughts on which SH might fill this niche?

Option 2 --> is a 4" 686+ @3, and a 2 1/2" version in the SH.

Option 3 --> is a 1911 @3 and the 2 1/2" 686+ in the SH

With the consideration of having the primary @3, things that need resolved are:

SH for 1911
SH for 2 1/2" 686+
More concealable grip for my 4" 686+ (the square conversion rubber grip on it is way to long. I'd like shorter, but how short while still maintaing control is the issue.)
OWB holster for 4" 686+ (some open front on it would be helpful)

Thanks

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Have you looked at or tried a vertical shoulder holster? Less of an issue with the muzzle printing out your back. Only real drawback is you need to wear a longer jacket, not a waist length windbreaker or sweatshirt.

Both Galco, and of course the classic Bianchi X-15, are readily available.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, but

Mark2734,
I have thought about it, but I don't have one to borrow. With the commander .45 as the buddy gun/backup, and a 5" @3, a horizontal would work, so I'm not sure if a vertical is in the picture. And, if I go vertical under the left arm, the muzzle end will be near the front edge of any mags I havr on the belt over on that side, so I'm not sure it would combine up well. Hard to tel.

Meanwhile, anyone have any ideas on what shoulder holster for the 2 1/2" 686+ and for the 1911 referencing my previous +/- comments on cant and horizontal mag pouches?? How about some feedback on a good, concealable, but still provides control for the 4" 686+, grip I can replace this huge "square butt" hogue rubber grip with. It's a round butt revolver with the make it square grip on it. That has to go in order to be able to conceal it.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Tapper, if you have a MacDaniel, than you know who to go to for a Horizontal shoulder holster. Just got my Monarch 2 weeks ago. It's the best made holster I have ever tried, and I have tried a lot of holsters. I have at least 5 other shoulder holsters that I don't use, due to fit issues. Sam is a great person to speak with and I lucked out and he had it in stock so it took about ten days to get it to me. I have worn it everyday since I received it. I am amazed at how well it carries the load without putting undue weight on my neck and between the shoulder blades. While I haven't carried my 5" in the holster yet, the muzzle will NOT print though the backside. My 4" hits just short of the arm pit, so I don't think the 5" will stick out to far. While the Monarch is expensive IMHO it's worth every penny. I did a full review in the holster threads titled Andrews Custom Leather.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks, and...

guysmith, thanks for the input. I read thru your post and remembered it from when I was getting serious about this set up.

Do you know how he does a speed loader set up on the off side when the holster is for a revolver? I only see dump pouches on his web site.

Thanks,

Tapper

·
Registered
705 Posts
I carry 2 commanders, left and right on a separate gunbelt in Galco pancakes

·
Registered
49 Posts
Desantis has a 2 gun sholder hoslter, It is a balsitic nylon one size fits most handguns, no hold down straps and each side also has a generic mag pouch.
I wouldnt recomend it for carry around people without a heavy coat.

The rig fits my purpose, I play in the Oregon desert alot by myself on a atv and I carry my colt commander on one side and a fnh 57 on the other. the 57 round gives me a long range simi auto, when sighted in at 25 yds it is only 4-5 inches low at 150yds it weighs less than 1 lb with a 20 round mag. I don't have room for a rifle and also it woud get choked in dust.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
filling a niche

OK, some good inputs. What I'm trying to do is privide myself an opportunity to carry two guns, each of which is a capable main gun on it's own. There are only a few times when I find that I can't carry a 1911 @3. When that happens, the one in the shoulder holster is the main gun. The S&W 642 will be the BUG in a front pants or coat pocket, as it serves now. The 2 1/2" 686+ in a shoulder holster will also be a good set up for when I'm fishing. It's hard to get to something @3 because that spot is about a foot or more down inside the waders. Either a 1911 or the snub .357 will do nicely when it's the only thing I can hide well and still get to. They also make a great BUG. One more thing: I believe that the BUG is also a buddy gun. I am often w/ folks who are shooters, may have a CCW, but don't normally carry. If time permits, I can hand something to them for some support. But hand a 1911, or ANY semiauto to someone, and they won't be sure how to run it even if it is point and click. Hand a revolver to someone, and you can bet that they will be able to employ it w/o hesitation or confusion.

A review,

So far the nominee for shoulder holster(s) is the Andrews. Any other inputs?

I still need a concealable grip sugesstion for the 2 each 686+ revolvers (4" OWB and 2 1/2" shoulder holster and OWB carry)

and a good, open top and reduced front OWB for the 4" 686+.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I carry at least two guns everyday...once I'm out my front door. When I'm working I typically carry 3. One I usually carry on my waist (right side about 3:15) and then one on my leg and another one concealed deeper. If I carry in a shoulder holster (which isn't always an option in Florida...I wore a sportscoat most of today - but it was still hot!!! Not practicable in August!) then I'd also carry on my off-side (right) and another in a leg holster and then another hidden one (so 4)

Yes...I readily admit I'm paranoid...and someday hope not to have to be!!!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some fine tuning

I think I've got this pretty well figured out.
Oh, and CelticWarrior, you're my kinda folk.

Anyhow,
On the shoulder holster. One of the things that is helpful, is horizontal arrangement of the mag pouches for the 1911. It seems like the only one out there is Andrews. Some others are horizontal, or close to it, but there is a bunch of space between the two mags, meaning that their location would be in the way of the draw of the 1911 that's primary and @3 o'clock OWB.

Does anyone have any other SH suggestions that place the spare ammo well above the belt line AND doesn't need a belt anchor?

Ref a SH for the 2 1/2" 686+, two speed loader storage capacity on the off side will be good, if they, too, are carried fairly well up and clear of the primary @3's draw stroke. Andrews doesn't have a photo for this. Does anyone have any info before I call Sam and keep him from building your holster????

Any input for concealable grips for the 686's???

Thanks,

Tapper

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Tap,

No input on the 686 since I had a 66...and haven't toted a revolver in over 20 years (still have a couple though!)

But - Andrews leather is top notch...affordable and worth it. Sam's not as polished (or wasn't on the 1/2 dozen rigs I've got...) as say Alessi, Knull or Arratonian but his work is as good and holds up well. Most of mine are more than a decade old and still work well). Value for the money = +1

1 - 13 of 13 Posts