1911Forum banner

Carry Load vs Practice Load

1298 Views 12 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  gordo63
*Note* I noticed that the reloading section has been closed down - I understand that, I am not looking for a load - please do not respond with a load. TIA

The last couple of sessions I have been grooving my eye box shot at various distances. When I switch back to my carry load my shots are low (4" low at 50 feet).

Without giving a load - can someone help me out:

I carry 230 grn Gold Dots - standard pressure

I practice with 200 grn semi wads that run at about what mil spec ball does

I want to continue using both.

Generally speaking do I need to reduce the charge weight in my practice rounds to get these two loads to zero the same? Will I still make min power factor?

TIA
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,428 Posts
HP, . . .

I won't give you a load, . . . just my personal attitude at 60+, . . . I carry what I practice with, . . . and I practice with what I carry.

Yeah, . . . I could save a few bucks by having two loads, . . . but this way, . . . I know where it shoots and don't have to question anything.

Just my $.02

May God bless,
Dwight

· Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Dwight55 - I understand what you are saying but, um..... I uh..... shoot between 8k and 10k handgun rounds per year.....

I have considered loading my own SD ammo - but feel as though I have read enough to see the folly in this in the event of an actual defensive shooting. So, for me - it has to be two loads - practice fodder and factory SD ammo.

As you might expect - the reason I want POA / POI to be the same - kind of silly to be able to put them on the nats ass with a practice bullet but have to guess at the amount of drop for a defensive shooting....

Anyway, thank you for the response.

I guess I will just start to tinker. If anyone has been down this road and would care to PM me, please do so.

Thank you

· Registered
690 Posts
Dwight55 - I understand what you are saying but, um..... I uh..... shoot between 8k and 10k handgun rounds per year.....

I have considered loading my own SD ammo - but feel as though I have read enough to see the folly in this in the event of an actual defensive shooting. So, for me - it has to be two loads - practice fodder and factory SD ammo.

As you might expect - the reason I want POA / POI to be the same - kind of silly to be able to put them on the nats ass with a practice bullet but have to guess at the amount of drop for a defensive shooting....

Anyway, thank you for the response.

I guess I will just start to tinker. If anyone has been down this road and would care to PM me, please do so.

Thank you

Your ammo should be similar. ie... 230 grain, standard pressure, +p what ever floats your boat.

I shoot Wally world white box for training and competition and carry Golden Saber or Gold dot (it's a gold thing) all in 230gr standard pressure.

The functional POA is identical for all loads in all my 45acp cal weapons.

I don't shoot bullseye anymore so the differences aren't enough to be considered a practical difference.

You could always load a practice/target/competition load to match your carry ammo. The bullet should be of the same weight.

If you can afford it, carrying what you shoot is the ideal. But since uncle sugar and the state of Florida stopped buying my ammo, that's how I do it.

Just my way

Fred

· Registered
1,668 Posts
I carry 230gr RA45T and 230gr Speer GD. Mostly I practice with what I carry, but for those occasional lean times when i can't afford it, I've found that almost all typical 230gr FMJ loads hit within an inch of my carry loads at 50 feet, so I use whatever I can get cheap, and is decent quality. My favorites are Federal American Eagle, Federal XM1911 milsurp and Wallyworld WW WB. It's all good.

· Registered
3,320 Posts
HP12C...If you are reloading your own practice ammo I don't quite understand why you are shooting 200 grain SWCs for practice and 230 grain JHPs for carry. The whole point to reloading being that you can taylor your practice load to your carry load. In some cases you can even buy the same bullet used in your carry load, match the velocity a dn LOA so you can be pretty sure that what you are carrying will work.

I carry a Commander in .38 Super and load 100 grain CorBon PoweR'-Ball for defense. Since there are no factory 100 grain practice loads I load a Berry's plated 100 grain HBRN bullet to 1400 fps and it matches POA to the carry load perfectly..it also recoils about the same.

If you carry 230 Gold Dots go buy some 230 Gold Dot bullets, get a chronograph and duplicate the load....

Bob

· Registered
2,524 Posts
HP12C

I think Superman gave you the basic idea for a course of action. You need to match the characteristics of your practice and carry loads. So your options are:

1. Change to a 230 gr bullet for your practice ammo and adjust your practice load (bullet and powder type/charge) to similar performance to your carry ammo.

2. Change to 200 gr Gold Dot ammo (a good choice and the most accurate ammo from most of my 1911's) and adjust your practice load (bullet and powder type/charge) to similar performance to your carry ammo.

In either case you will want to match your practice ammo to the performance of the carry ammo.

Edited to add: In addition to the above, you should chronograph your practice loads and your Gold Dot ammo. If memory serves me Gold Dot ammo is loaded to higher performance standards and it may be flying faster than Mil-Spec ammo will. You may only need to adjust your carry ammo if the adjustments will stay within your reloading manual guidelines.

· Registered
1,379 Posts
HP12C said:
*Note* I noticed that the reloading section has been closed down - I understand that, I am not looking for a load - please do not respond with a load. TIA

The last couple of sessions I have been grooving my eye box shot at various distances. When I switch back to my carry load my shots are low (4" low at 50 feet).

Without giving a load - can someone help me out:

I carry 230 grn Gold Dots - standard pressure

I practice with 200 grn semi wads that run at about what mil spec ball does

I want to continue using both.

Generally speaking do I need to reduce the charge weight in my practice rounds to get these two loads to zero the same? Will I still make min power factor?

TIA
PM me. I have the answer for you.

· Registered
14 Posts
carry loads

with out sounding like a smart-alic,i make sure the two loads are as alike as possible by trial and error untill i get them alike.or as the other posts reccomend practice with what you carry!its cheap insurance and whats you life or well being worth?:scratch: just my 2c

· Registered
215 Posts
Found this.........

A Substitute Load for Hardball Practice

The following represents recipies to duplicate a true .45 caliber hardball load.

The NRA has published some load info that should fill your needs.

American Rifleman 6/93 pgs 44-45
Loads to simulate Hardball recoil and energy 850 +/- 30 FPS vel

200-220 WC lead (such as Lyman 452460) OAL 1.16"
4.6-5.0 gr BE, Red or Green Dot, 700X
6.0-6.5 gr Unique
5.5-6.0 gr WW231
The above loads can also be used with a 230 gr FMJ bullet to get 850 FPS
+/- 30 with overall length of 1.25"

American Rifleman 1/87 pg 66
Loads to Duplicate Military Ball Ammo

230 gr FMJ
4.6 gr BE
5.6 gr WW231
6.5 gr Unique

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.