1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Minn and have my carry permit,,and do!I was looking on one of those sites that tells you what states have reciprocity with your state,,,Minn has very few states that I can carry in but if I have North Dakota permit by the way I can't carry in has many more states they can carry in??Is there a push to get all the gun friendly states on the same page?What would this take to get done?What does ND do different so they can carry in more states?Clark.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Usually has to do with training/background check parity.

Bob

·
Registered
472 Posts
What would it take ? You need to contact the MN Legislature, and the Governor, and tell them what you want, as their boss, and as a law abiding and voting citizen of the state. The reciprocity rules in MN are restrictive, and for no valid reason.

In the mean time look into acquiring a non-resident permit from another state that has wider reciprocity than MN does. Utah and Florida permits are relatively simple to obtain and even as a non-resident, they have greater coverage than the MN permit.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sounds just like Oregon. The permit here is easy enough to get, with requirements like most other shall-issue states. But then they don't accept any other state's permit, so those states reply in kind. I would say your best option would be to go for the Florida or Utah non-resident. I got the Utah a while back, so I would be legal 3 miles away from home in Washington. Seems illogical, but logic is never a strong suit of law makers it seems.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
First, appreciate that your state does not deny you the right to carry, like my current place of residence. Even though I can not carry in my home state, I have a Utah and Florida non resident permit that allows me to carry in many other states. Sometime next year my home state will issue them but will not have reciprocity with anyone, so the non resident Utah and Florida permits are still needed for out of state carry. Use google, you will find the website that shows reciprocity

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
I live in Minn and have my carry permit,,and do!I was looking on one of those sites that tells you what states have reciprocity with your state,,,Minn has very few states that I can carry in but if I have North Dakota permit by the way I can't carry in has many more states they can carry in??Is there a push to get all the gun friendly states on the same page?What would this take to get done?What does ND do different so they can carry in more states?Clark.
It took many years for the interstate compacts that allow driver's licenses (especially for commercial trucks) to be established.

More restrictive states would like to think they are 'better' (as in safer).

There are almost never any actual studies to show they are.

They mostly seem to be responding to the anti-gun ninnies.

It is about not giving the people to many 'privileges.'

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
If you go with a non-resident permit from another state, BE CAREFUL,
there are states (CO is one) that DO NOT HONOR permits from other
states that the permit holder does not reside in.

For example: You reside in MN, get a UT non-resident permit, it is not valid in CO . . FOR YOU.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Handgunlaw.us may have some info for you that would be helpful. Dave

·
Registered
97 Posts
I like what the legislature did here in NC 2 years ago. NC automatically recognizes every state permit regardless of whether that state recognizes ours. Ideally I'd like to see Constitutional carry in all 50 states but at this point states should at least do what NC did and recognize everyone.

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
In most cases you need to look at the requirements in both states and from that you'll usually see why one state doesn't recipocate with another, but the reverse may be OK. It makes sense once you see it.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Usually has to do with training/background check parity.

Bob
But it shouldn't. The 'full faith and credit' clause of the Constitution should take effect, just as it does with all other licenses. Training requirements for driver's licenses are not the same for every state, but your DL is good everywhere. More people are killed by cars than guns.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
But it shouldn't. The 'full faith and credit' clause of the Constitution should take effect, just as it does with all other licenses. Training requirements for driver's licenses are not the same for every state, but your DL is good everywhere. More people are killed by cars than guns.
Are there any states that don't require some type of training and licensing before you can drive a car?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Pat above was right on the money --- Be careful with a non-resident license... Michigan is another state that doesn't honor them in any way.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Colorado, Michigan, Florida, South Carolina, New Hampshire and Maine only honor Resident permit/licenses from the states they honor. There are SOME Non Resident permit/licenses that Pennsylvania will not honor. If you want to see all the quirks in how some states honor others you can see them Here: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/CreateAMapNotice.pdf

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
The 'full faith and credit' clause of the Constitution should take effect, just as it does with all other licenses.
Licenses are not the court actions that "full faith and credit" applies to.

My PE licenses is not valid in other states, nursing licenses, doctor's licenses, plumbers, el;electricians.

The states are soverign in these areas.

It is only through interstate compacts that even driver's licenses are valid in different states.

No federal law is involved.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Are there any states that don't require some type of training and licensing before you can drive a car?
Driving a car is not a right.

Licenses are not the court actions that "full faith and credit" applies to.
1. "Full faith and credit shall be given in each state to the public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other state." Clearly a license is a record implemented by a public act, (law)
2. Actually, Ohio has been successfully sued to force recognition of same-sex marriage licenses from other states. (Not saying I agree with sae sex marriage.)

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Driving a car is not a right.
Yes it is a right to bear arms but don't expect national reciprocity until there are reasonably consistent standards throughout the country like there is with a drivers license. Some states feel that just letting someone buy a gun and walk around with it on their hip with zero training is a bad idea, just like buying a car and driving off the lot with zero training. People may disagree with that premise but it is what it is. Until the states come to agreement, as they did with drivers licenses, you can stand on Constitutional principles all you want but it's not going to change. Given that an Idaho permit makes me legal in 37 states though, I would say we're getting closer to that goal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts