1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 26 now, but I got my CWP when I was 21. When I first got my permit I carried the smallest, lightest guns I could carry, and didn't practice much at distance(past 7yds). I guess I wanted to have a gun, but didn't want it changing the way I dressed(light t-shirt and cargo shorts 99% of the time). Recently, I have changed the way I think a little, and the size of my carry guns have gotten bigger. I am 6'4" barefoot and 295-315lbs. depending on the season, and have begun to think that: I am bigger than MOST people that I come in contact with, and I don't believe that I look frail by any means, and I will probably be one of the last choices for a thug(unless there is a pack of them) to try to commit a forcible felony against, and if I ever do have to use my firearm to stop a forcible felony, it will most likely be in the aid of another person/s. So, I have started carrying larger framed guns(that I shoot far better) with a higher capacity and a longer sight radius, because if I am not in direct contact with the bg, then I may have to make a longer shot(7+yds) to stop a threat. The other side of that is: If I am attacked by a pack of mongrols I would like to have as much "help" as feasibly possible. My dress has changed a little aswell, and I almost always have a Columbia type, loose fitting fishing shirt over a t-shirt in the summer, or a button down denim type cover shirt when it's cooler. I still wear regular cargo shorts or jean pants, and nothing that yells "GUN"

So, am I totally nuts for thinking like this???

FWIW:
older carry guns: smith j-frame, Keltec p3at/pf9, Kahr pm9. rarely a reload on my person(not saying these are bad at ALL as I still have some of them and they DO have a use)

new carry choices: 4.25" or 5" 1911, Glock 19, Glock 30sf. ALWAYS a reload on my person.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
My philosophy has always been carry the largest pistol - in the largest caliber - that:
A) You practice with often and shoot well, and
B) You can carry comfortably and concealed for extended periods of time

Smaller pistols (and calibers) are normally carried only for comfort and concealability.

If you can carry greater firepower without carry or accuracy issues, more power to you. :rock:

·
Registered
14,940 Posts
Of the pistols mentioned by the OP, I'd probably prefer his G19 for my personal carry pistol. I carry a G26 daily. Occasionally, I carry a G17 or G19 magazine as a backup.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Right on track. I think your story is pretty common. My story for CC choices is real simallur. Started real small and gone up in caliber size and barrel length. The other thing I did, was starting to compete. I started, shooting USPSA, to get better, more accurate, more famillure with my gun. You put thousands of rounds down range, have to reload and under the clock, you will get better and more confident, in you and your equipment.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
My philosophy has always been carry the largest pistol - in the largest caliber - that:
A) You practice with often and shoot well, and
B) You can carry comfortably and concealed for extended periods of time

Smaller pistols (and calibers) are normally carried only for comfort and concealability.

If you can carry carry greater firepower without carry or accuracy issues, more power to you. :rock:
+1 to this.........

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
"I am 6'4" barefoot and 295-315lbs. .... and I don't believe that I look frail by any means"

Dude,that was friggin funny.

You're doing good,no worries.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I'm 34, and I'm a bit smaller than you. 5'9" and between 150-155 depending on when it is, but I can't for the life of me carry a full sized gun without feeling like it's as obvious as Shaq walking into a bar around here. I'd prefer to carry a full sized 45, because I shoot them better and I like the .45holes. Like an old motivational poster said, I see inmates with 9mm holes n them every day.

Summer is shorts and Tshirts, while spring fall and winter are hoodies and t shirts. I seldom wear a coat and don't wear a shirt with buttons on it or any pants other than shorts or jeans unless I'm at a wedding or a funeral. I see a lot of people saying they carry full sized guns and I wish I could figure out how.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Right on track. I think your story is pretty common. My story for CC choices is real simallur. Started real small and gone up in caliber size and barrel length. The other thing I did, was starting to compete. I started, shooting USPSA, to get better, more accurate, more famillure with my gun. You put thousands of rounds down range, have to reload and under the clock, you will get better and more confident, in you and your equipment.
I second that, we do a informal USPSA competition at my local club on Thursday nights and I find it great practice.

·
Premium Member
14,684 Posts
you have to dress around the gun

I see a lot of people saying they carry full sized guns and I wish I could figure out how.
I'm built like a stump, Rad
solid and low to the ground at 5'9"/220

you have to dress around the gun
I wear cargo shorts and polos or tees in summer.
I have no trouble concealing a full size 1911 IWB on my strong side
(though I regularly carry an alloy frame 4" 1911 due to less weight)

obviously I can't wear tight tees or polos and someone that was a very observant may notice I print "sometimes" (like on a windy day) or doing some movements
But 99% won't notice ...'ell 70% wouldn't notice if you open carried

1911s really lend themselves well to CC due to thin profile .
In the right holster, a FS 1911 is no harder to conceal than my XDs or M&P Shield

..L.T.A.

·
Premium Member
9,150 Posts
I'm 6' 4", I weigh 182 and I usually wear jeans and a t-shirt. I have concealed 5" 1911s, a 4" Ruger Security Six, a G23, an FEG Hi-Power, and these days an M&P 40 all of them in IWB and AIWB rigs that I can comfortably wear inside the waistband of 32x34 inch jeans. I refuse to join the polo shirt mafia as adulthood is for quitters...

Point being that a good IWB rig with a proper cant or an AIWB rig can conceal a gun easily when you dress around the gun and choose a quality holster. An LEO I'm friendly with was shocked to know that I had been carrying full sized autos and one revolver for years and that he had failed to notice. He was and is very pro-gun but he took great pride in his ability to pick out concealed carriers. He knew I was pro-gun and figured I had a permit but that I was carrying a sub compact. Like Cappi I just avoid wearing form fitting tees (shame, people cannot admire the imprint of my nipples on the fabric). I do confess to having the unfair advantage of a v-shaped torso that makes large t-shirts drape around my mid-sections. Duluth Trading Company's plumber shirts are an awesome option.

To the OP: I guess I've long been a fan of having at least one reload. I'm actually of fan of all the bullets I can get and my 1911 setup consists of one 8 round CMC magazines and two 10 round Power Mags in case nine rounds of handloaded gold dot fail to get the job done.

·
Registered
722 Posts
People sometimes talk about the progression people go through when they first start CCW. Often a person will get a big bada$$ gun, shoot it at the range and use it for CCW...for awhile. Then they get tired of the weight and the effort required to hide a really big gun. So they switch to a mousegun. Which is great...until they take it to the range and find out they can't shoot it well. Often the end result is a more midsized gun in the Glock 19/HK P30/Colt Commander range. Obviously this isn't universal but it happens a lot.

I'm a fan of having as much gun as possible. In the hottest months I've been known to carry a Beretta Nano loaded up 8+1 and hoping I never need to draw it.:rofl: That's the one reason I look forward to fall and winter- the ability to easily hide a bigger gun.

If you're a big guy you can probably conceal a pretty good sized gun with little difficulty. Sounds like an excellent plan to me.:rock:

·
Registered
380 Posts
I am 26 now, but I got my CWP when I was 21. When I first got my permit I carried the smallest, lightest guns I could carry, and didn't practice much at distance(past 7yds). I guess I wanted to have a gun, but didn't want it changing the way I dressed(light t-shirt and cargo shorts 99% of the time). Recently, I have changed the way I think a little, and the size of my carry guns have gotten bigger. I am 6'4" barefoot and 295-315lbs. depending on the season, and have begun to think that: I am bigger than MOST people that I come in contact with, and I don't believe that I look frail by any means, and I will probably be one of the last choices for a thug(unless there is a pack of them) to try to commit a forcible felony against, and if I ever do have to use my firearm to stop a forcible felony, it will most likely be in the aid of another person/s. So, I have started carrying larger framed guns(that I shoot far better) with a higher capacity and a longer sight radius, because if I am not in direct contact with the bg, then I may have to make a longer shot(7+yds) to stop a threat. The other side of that is: If I am attacked by a pack of mongrols I would like to have as much "help" as feasibly possible. My dress has changed a little aswell, and I almost always have a Columbia type, loose fitting fishing shirt over a t-shirt in the summer, or a button down denim type cover shirt when it's cooler. I still wear regular cargo shorts or jean pants, and nothing that yells "GUN"

So, am I totally nuts for thinking like this???

FWIW:
older carry guns: smith j-frame, Keltec p3at/pf9, Kahr pm9. rarely a reload on my person(not saying these are bad at ALL as I still have some of them and they DO have a use)

new carry choices: 4.25" or 5" 1911, Glock 19, Glock 30sf. ALWAYS a reload on my person.
Nothing wrong with your thinking, IMHO. I oftentimes see people change to larger guns after some training with a small gun & seeing how hard it is to quickly & accurately shoot in a high stress situation. I'm not saying you can't, just that it's easier for most with a full grip or close to it.

As to ranges, 7 yards & in is still probably your best bet (Most shootings are inside that range). I'm not saying don't train/shoot outside of that range, just that the bulk of your training should probably still be inside that range. It's good practice to shoot 15-25+ yards, though.

As for extra mags, to each his/her own, but I'd recommend doing so regardless if it's a small, med, or full size gun.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
You have to interject a tad of reality into your choices, as well.

First off, do you walk in "condition yellow" and pay attention to your surroundings? If so, are you sure you do not go into places armed that you would not go unarmed? Or, do you add a touch of macho to your decisions?

As for "enough gun," one of the pistols I shot the best was a 10mm Bren Ten. I never carried it or a Delta Elite--even when my employer permitted me to carry on site. Why? Because I'm not a sworn officer. My goals and duties were defensive only, and as such my first duty was to get myself and those in my care out of harm's way, not subject them to a vector of fire from anyone--myself included.

One of my carry revolvers is a scandium, J-frame .357 that can utilize both heavy rounds and any .38 SPL choices. I carry reloads in both calibers, and the revolver fits in just about any jacket, pouch or pocket sleeve.

The police officer at my credentials training for CCW permits stated that the guy with the gun should be the one with the level head making the best choices. I think that pertains to equipment options, as well.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

First off, do you walk in "condition yellow" and pay attention to your surroundings? If so, are you sure you do not go into places armed that you would not go unarmed? Or, do you add a touch of macho to your decisions?

As for "enough gun," one of the pistols I shot the best was a 10mm Bren Ten. I never carried it or a Delta Elite--even when my employer permitted me to carry on site. Why? Because I'm not a sworn officer. My goals and duties were defensive only, and as such my first duty was to get myself and those in my care out of harm's way, not subject them to a vector of fire from anyone--myself included.

One of my carry revolvers is a scandium, J-frame .357 that can utilize both heavy rounds and any .38 SPL choices. I carry reloads in both calibers, and the revolver fits in just about any jacket, pouch or pocket sleeve.

The police officer at my credentials training for CCW permits stated that the guy with the gun should be the one with the level head making the best choices. I think that pertains to equipment options, as well.
Not sure how to answer the "macho" portion of the question, but yes I am very aware of my surroundings. My better half often tells me that I am too nosey as I usually have my head on a swivel. Sometimes it is simply because I people watch, but I do feel that I see a lot of what's going on around me. If a prerequisite of the place I am attending is to be armed.... I'm NOT going!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
My comment relates to just knowing guys, how they think, and new toys. In the late 1970s I carried a full size, nickel plated Colt Government 1911 in .45 ACP in a JackAss rig. Talk about a show-off's toy!

I've seen some weird guns on guys with newly minted CCW licenses, especially here in Wisconsin. We fought so hard for so long to get the CCW provision that many guys wanted to celebrate and carry the cannon of their dreams.

Now that a year has passed it seems the larger framed guns are staying at home. The most common stuff I see now is some form of .380 ACP (or micro 9mm) and the J-frame Smiths.

·
Registered
296 Posts
obviously I can't wear tight tees or polos and someone that was a very observant may notice I print "sometimes" (like on a windy day) or doing some movements
But 99% won't notice ...'ell 70% wouldn't notice if you open carried
This pretty much says it all, and now with how big cell phones are getting even if someone does notice you have something on your hip a gun is not the first thing most people will think of.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I have carried guns off and on since the early 1960s. I open carried a .22 revolver as a teenager in California. I spent twenty-two years in the military. I have had a concealed permit while living in three different states since the early 1990s. I went through several small guns, different carry positions, and different carry methods.

I always went back to a full size handgun in a pancake style holster on my belt at 3:00 o'clock and a spare magazine at 9:00 o'clock. I carry a government size 1911 around 95% of the time. If I am spending the day in remote rural areas where help may be an hour away, I often swap the 1911 for a Glock G20 SF 10mm or an FNH FNX-45 Tactical and two spare magazines. If I am spending the day in wooded areas, I often swap for a four inch S&W 29-2 .44 magnum and two speed loaders.

I wear an oversized un-tucked t-shirt, polo shirt, winter shirt, or sweatshirt over my handgun. A LEO friend bet me that I could not carry my Desert Eagle 50 AE concealed. I carried it in a belt holster on my hip and two spare magazines on my other hip all day at work around senior LEOs. Nobody noticed until I was leaving to go home after work and showed them. You can carry more than most people think they can if you can dress around the gun.

·
Premium Member
9,150 Posts
Tourist, the 10mm while an impressive round is still a handgun round and thus it is wanting in a few key places used for offensive purposes. Also, due to a many, many year old court ruling LEOs carry for their personal protection and not so they can save your sweet ass. LEOs are not out there on the offensive, they are a defensive measure. So no, packing a 10mm hardly makes you Dirty Harry, nor is it an offensive-type round by any means. There's reality and there is hype and there seems to be a lot of hype around 10mm. It is possibly why whenever I think about buying one I am reminded of a friend who thinks his would take out the Death Star, go through that and travel back in time to strike Earth and extinct the dinosaurs.

I have never carried a small gun. The smallest I have gone is a G23 when I first started carrying. I went bigger and got a 1911 a few years later. My friends who began carrying either don't carry or they carry purse guns. A few still pack fullsized autos and almost eight years later I keep hearing, "One day you'll realize that gun is too big to carry!" I generally write this off as a case of "If you feel less manly then they do then make them join you," and I find it funny since I quit insulting their choice in carry guns years ago. I don't even call them purse guns to their face. What's the point? It turns into cases of butthurt and pissing matches because someone's ego got bruised because he feels his manhood is somehow at stake.

I find it funny to watch this evolution to but for different reasons. First it's "Yeah, I'm carrying, I own one gun for the range and it's a (insert name and model) but I can hack it." Then as they walk around using some crappy off the rack Sears or Wal Mart purchased belt, often a POS holster they decide the gun is "too-big" or "too-heavy" or "too-hard-to-conceal" or all three and they go out and buy a pocket gun and then try to brag up how uber macho their Ruger LCP is. I refuse to carry such guns, and those that do are welcome to it.

Half the people I know what have switched to tiny guns have balked when I suggest they need to invest in a decent holster and belt. They usually tell me "but I have a belt and I bought a good holster! I paid 29.99 for it plus tax!" When I show them something like my Incog from G-Code and tell them what I paid they go on about how that's just too much money...and the next week they go out and blow 400 or more on a new carry piece...too much money to buy a decent rig but it's not too much money to spend more on a new gun. I sometimes don't know whether to weep for our future or start stealing nuclear launch codes. It's not their carry choice, but rather their ability to say, "Oh, over a hundred for a belt and a new rig? So what? I can get a (insert name of purse gun here) for 359.99...who's saving money now?"

·
Registered
5,710 Posts

This post made my head hurt.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts