1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am goign backpacking this weekend and I am taking my 1911 with me of course. my question is i always carry IWB but that will be very hard with a 45 lb pack on with the waste band on. I am concerned with comfort and fast accessibility. I do not have a shoulder holster or the money to get one right now so what would you guys recommend me do to carry?

Thanks

Eric

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
secure your holtser to your cross draw backpack shoulder strap..then add a towel or something simple like that which can cover/conceal it but look innocuous...you'll still have rapid draw access..other option includes securing the holster to the backpack waste band.
I have a matching belly bag with my rig..once I've got my pack on .. I put the belly bag on ...gives me relatively quick access for pistol, spare mag, bug spray, ID cards...etc

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really like the idea of straping it to the backpack shoulder strap or waste band that is pretty good thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I'd get a drop leg holster if you don't have to conceal it. Just picked up a really nice Spector on E-bay for $30.

·
Premium Member
7,079 Posts
When wearing a backpack I use a chest holster from Eagle Industries.
If I want more discrete carry I use a Biafran Mile Run chest pouch also from Eagle.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Would an appendix carry holster be of any benefit at this point? I know they are not suggested in general due to falling, but if you have a backpack on with soft goods inside, it could provide cushioning for a fall...

Just a thought.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
When wearing a backpack I use a chest holster from Eagle Industries.
If I want more discrete carry I use a Biafran Mile Run chest pouch also from Eagle.
Bingo, the old military style chest holster for the 1911. Or, later on, when financially practical, you might look into the S&W 325PD line, a scandium alloy 45acp revolver that weighs as much as a 1911's loaded magazine, or maybe even less. Last time I went backpacking I made the mistake of carrying a S&W 4" 500, NEVER AGAIN LOL. If I go backpacking again, I'll most likely carry my Glock 20SF or my FN Five-Seven.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Typically when I am "out in the woods" I dont care to much about concealing my weapon.

I like the idea of "lashing" it to the shoulder or waist strap. Maybe you have an old case for a portable cd player to use to cover the holster? or some other plain looking soft sided case with a zipper or velcro. Camera case maybe?

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
If you call Eagle Ind. ask for Jessica, and tell her I sent you. She will be able to fix you up.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
BigHandEd is a very smart and astute person. His advice is always well thought out and excellent.

I've got two questions:

1. Where are you hiking?

2. Are you going to be using your handgun for two or four legged predators?

·
Registered
136 Posts
+1 for the drop leg holster. I've got both Safariland and Serpa models that I really like.

If you cant wait for shipping you can jury-rig something if you have an OWB holster. You just need a strap to go through the holster and around your leg, and then two more to hang around your belt that drop down and loop over the one around your leg. Might not look the coolest, but it'll get you by.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
aw shucks coltman....(blushing).

one of the OP's criteria was NOT purchasing a new holster right now..that's why I suggested securing his existing holster to the backpack shoulder strap..but once finances allow..yeah..there's a ton of great options..many already mentioned here.

I imagine hiking might include places where you want to stay concealed in your carry...so leg warmers might not be the best...albeit there are leg strap pouches like the military issue trauma packs..you're still in a zipper mode..so not a fast draw...but secure...

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Drop leg holsters are pretty easy to find at any gun shop with a decent holster inventory, or a police uniform shop. I only bought mine on E-bay because ordering something left handed through those places is like pulling freaken teeth!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks you everyone for your posts. I do like the idea of a drop leg holster and will be putting one of those on the list to buy. Right now due to finances and shortage of time but mainly finances I will be attaching one of my holsters to either my waste band or shoulder strap. This will mainly be used for the 4 legged critter but I am not ruling anything out hahaha. It really just depends what would come my way but I am going to linville george and it is black bear season right now so I figure that they will be moving pretty good. I know something like a 44 mag would be more ideal but i have plenty of back up mags at my disposal and my buddy is bringing his ar15 so well just see what happens.
Thanks

Eric

1 - 20 of 21 Posts