1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am just wondering - what public lands can you still carry a gun on?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
There is no prohibition, as far as I know, to carrying firearms on National Forest or BLM land if you have access to it. National Parks and National Monuments are another story and firearms are prohibited.

State lands vary with each state.

I have not looked up the laws specifically, but I live in a state, NM, where most of the recreation land is either Nat Forest or BLM. I have never seen anything that would prohibit carrying there.

That is one reason that I like the Feds owning most of the lands in the West. Where they don't the access is very limited or costs money, and you are at the mercy of the state or owner.

Jerry

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm certain that others are more familiar with the regulations, but it is my understanding that you are NOT permitted to carry in a National Park. BLM and National Forests are OK.

I'm not an attorney, but I AM staying at a Holiday Inn Express tonight!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hah

thanks for the replys guys - my 70 acres here in the shenandoah has national park land on the east side and national forest land on the west side. Just wondering which one I can open carry on.

Thanks!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'd recommend contacting the USFS Forest Supervisor or one of the Forest Service LEOs to make certain that their are'nt any local rules, regulations, or restrictions. While there may not be an agency wide restriction there may be local issues that apply only to that particular forest.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Just to be on the safe side, be sure that you are not on Tribal land. This is particularly important in the southwest, where it may not be very obvious, especially where tribal lands adjoin public lands. The tribal nations can have some very harsh rules about weapons and/or shooting on their lands.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice

No tribal lands anywhere near me so I'm good to go, after I call the local authorities about loaclca regs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts