1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my FL CCW permint since September and have been packing every so often.

So far I have simply carried the weapon inside the pants with no holster (never for more than 15 minutes) and in an Uncle Mikes holster with a large shirt covering it.

Is there a comfortable way to conceal a full size 1911 - where I can sit down with it, walk normal, and where the weapon's shape is not visible at all?

I live in Miami so under the shoulder would rarely be an option - I only wear jackets down here two months out of the year. Some people have recommended Inside the Wasteband Holsters and I am looking into them.

I hope some of you can share your methods and experience with me.

Thank you.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I recently bought a Galco NSA II IWB holster for my Les Baer TRS. Granted, I don't carry concealed (Damn PRK), but it's comfortable enough for me to carry on me when I'm inside my apt. The reason why I got it is because I always have it on me when I'm at home, and I occasionally have to venture outside my apartment to go do laundry, dump trash, just do stuff within the complex. I didn't want to attract attention, nor did I want to keep taking off my BladeTech. Plus, the BladeTech was leaving plastic crap on my gun.

Anyway, the NSA II is great. It's slender, and it doesn't print at all when I have it properly placed (roughly over my right a$$ cheek, with the rear sights approximately in line with or just behind the seam of my pants leg). The only complaint I have about it (which may be due to the fact that it's new), is that when it's all in my pants, I can't draw; the leather grips the gun so well that it won't budge unless I hold down the holster in a certain way with my other hand. Trying it one handed won't work, and it gives me a wedgie to boot. :grumble:

·
Registered
128 Posts
IWB (inside waistband) is DEFINITELY the way to go. I am fairly thin and tall, but with a kramer IWB holster just at the side of my hip (not behind or in front) my fll size SA 1911 is completely undetectable under the lightest concealing garment (even a decent tshirt).

The best thing about the side position is that it allows you to bend forwards more without 'printing'. The 1911 is thin enough that it stays hidden against your body when worn IWB.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have a GALCO IWB for my 1911 and Beretta 96. It works pretty well. But the holster that I probably honestly use the most for CC is a cheap Uncle Mikes, left hand IWB nylon holster, size 5 that I carry in the small of my back. Used it for years, and I carry pretty much daily. The left handed when used in the SOB allows me to postion the butt toward my strong side for a comfortable draw. The only drawback is that since it's not reinforced it takes to hands to reholster. But if/when you have to pull it that will be the least of your problems. It's not, boned, its not leather, it didn't cost 1/3 the price of the gun, and it wasn't handmade; but I've used it for about 5 years daily and it works.

Just my .02

Hershey

·
Registered
152 Posts
I carry a full size 1911 in a Miltsparks VM-2 (IWB) everyday. It’s not cheap, but is comfortable and conceals well.

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
Im a decent sized guy and I personally cant stand IWB. It always feels like my pants are either too loose or too tight. I carry OWB and havent had any problems properly concealing with Tshirts and the occasional Sweatshirt, but I understand its probably harder in warmer climates.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Invest in a good holster and belt from someone who really knows their product. I personally use Milt Sparks Holsters and carry a 5" 1911 on a daily basis. I've found the #1H (IWB) is the best solution for me. It may or may not be your best solution. Click on the link for Lightning Arms Sports and call Craig or Audrey. They really know their stuff and will help you find what you need. They usually have most of the models in stock and it will save you a 6-10 week wait.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Also,

Stop right now, repeat right now, carrying without a holster. Of all the ways to carry, that is the least safe, (read dumbest.)

Follow the above advice, take the trouble to learn what is a good holster, buy one and use it.

Put it on in the morning with your pants and take it off when you go to bed at night.

Cheers!

·
Registered
972 Posts
After doin this for over 30 years (I have a small foot locker plus a tool bag full of holsters) I have recently begun carrying all my 1911s in the Threat Solutions "Ultra Concealment Rig". It is an IWB made of Kydex and follows the style or pattern of the Milt Sparks Watch Six.

It is thin, light, comfortable, fast to draw from, and I can hide full size 1911s under a Hawaiian style shirt.

www.threatsolutions.com

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I carry my CQB-C nearly everywhere unseen in a Comp-Tac Tuckable. I imagine the same holster for the 5" Gov't. Model will do the same.

Among leather IWB holsters, I've found the Burns/Alessi GWH to be the most comfortable and concealable holster out there for a Government Model. (In all fairness, I've not tried the Versa-Max II from Sparks.) The GWH has replaced my Sparks EX - unless I forsee the need to take off the gun & holster during the day.

Regardless which holster you choose, be sure and get a (matching) GUNbelt from Sparks, Alessi, or Rafter S. The 1.5" belt width is the most versatile. Be sure the holster loops are sized for your belt, too. Having loops larger than the belt width means the holster will rock out of position and/or move around on the belt.

Buy single magazine pouches w/the appropriate belt loops, as well. They're easier to position on the belt than the double mag pouches. Unless you're in law-enforcement, at a match or shooting school, you will likely need/want to carry just one reload, anyway.

Regards,

Andy

·
Registered
215 Posts
I agree with the previous poster who stated NOT to carry w/o a holster. It's too dangerous. For CCW IWB is the best. I don't like them due to discomfort reasons (I'm not over weight either). I use an OWB of various designs based on the time of year (weather). you'll probably go through all sorts of $$ to find the right one for YOU, but its worth it. Good luck!!! If it matters I have been CCW for the past 25 yrs (LEO).

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I tried carrying a full size steel govt 1911 in a Milt Sparks IWB and was totally impressed at the concealability and slimness of the pistol in the holster. The 1911 just kind of disappears.

One caveat: the full size steel 1911 is heavy, and when loaded, is pushing three pounds.

I've got a lower back injury that comes and goes and if I wear the 1911 IWB, even on a good gun belt which I totally recommend, the weight is a problem for me. Others have no problem at all.

I went to a Sig P239 357 Sig that weighs unloaded 27 ounces, about the same weight as an alloy 1911 or a lightweight Commander. I too carry this in a Milt Sparks IWB and the weight difference is startling (about one full pound) and I can easily the carry the Sig IWB.

Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What Iceman said!

I'm sitting here in a VM-II and a 5" 1911 right now.

The right holster makes things very comfortable. Also try running pant and belt sizes about 2" bigger than normal. This well help with the comfort issue also.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
259 Posts
Full Size carried daily

I went from no holster to Desantis Inner Piece-IWB. Smart move. I like it a lot 50.00.
Garry

·
Registered
189 Posts
Iceman said:
I carry a full size 1911 in a Miltsparks VM-2 (IWB) everyday. It’s not cheap, but is comfortable and conceals well.

Ditto. Even in the summertime with nothing more than a t-shirt and a light button up short sleeve shirt.

·
Registered
56 Posts
try this. get a belt, an IWB holster (it doesnt matter if its cheap or mega expensive: i got mine for $4), position the belt just above your belly or just below your chest, insert the holster in the belt just like what you do to an IWB. voila! the super concealed way to carry a gun. the gun is almost a part of your body now. you can wear almost anything with this technique. (cyling shorts, ultra tight leather pants, swimming trunks, boxer shorts, even a damn T-back - as long as u wear a not so tight shirt). beat that!:D

·
Registered
972 Posts
"I've got a lower back injury that comes and goes and if I wear the 1911 IWB, even on a good gun belt which I totally recommend, the weight is a problem for me. Others have no problem at all. "

I too have a low back problem (3 herniated discs) which comes and stays. I have long needed to use the option of light wieght 1911, primarily alloy framed Commanders. After cracking three of them from lots of shooting I switched to Glocks (light weight in 45 ACP) but the bulk and the trigger pull did me in.

Got back to the 1911 with Wilson's KZ-45 and KZ-45 Compact. Light wieght, better than average capacity, slim as a traditional 1911, and a trigger pull to die for (or in this case to live with).

Still, the Threat Solutions UCR works better than anything elso I've tried. I can even hide the full size KZ-45 with its 11 round capacity.

Holsters are such an individual thing, it's kind of silly for any of us to recommend one to some else. You have to find what works for you.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts