1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of getting my CCW and I have a Milt Spark IWB being delivered in the next month or two. Like many people, my work does not allow me to carry, so my sidearm will need to be secured in my vehicle during my working hours.
For those of you in a similar situation, my question is, do you remove your holster as well, or just your 1911? Between the way my pants will fit and not being sure how much room I'll need to lock up a full sized in a Criterion holster, it would be a lot easier to leave the holster in my waistband while I'm at work, but I didn't know if that would be bad for the holster.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Why don't you just wait til you have the holster then wear it empty at work and see what you think?

Personally, I carry my Dan Wesson ECO in a kydex holster I made myself. I used a Vedder metal clip. It lives in my center console when I'm not wearing it. I can pull into a parking spot, shut the car off, clip the holster on (AIWB) and be out of the car in under 30 seconds. If I'm going to be driving for a while on the highway, I simply remove it and store it in the console until I'm ready to exit the car. Although the pistol is perfectly comfortable while I'm seated and driving, I've always wondered how much damage would occur to me if I were in a wreck and the hard pistol were trapped between the seat belt and my body.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why don't you just wait til you have the holster then wear it empty at work and see what you think?
I guess the question is, over time, would wearing an empty holster hurt it? Am I likely to collapse the holster that way? Comfort is a whole other issue and I'll have to decide after I get it whether it's worth it to wear it empty all day, every day.

·
Registered
Trumark Wrist Rocket
400 Posts
I faced the same situation that you are describing. I locked my firearm in a console vault in my truck and kept the holster on my belt. I was in compliance with company's No Firearms policy that way. One day, I was hauled out of work on an ambulance gurney due to heart problems. My empty holster was in full view of everyone and I received no discipline. I advised the Medics that I was wearing an empty holster and their response was "We like empty holsters."

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I faced the same situation that you are describing. I locked my firearm in a console vault in my truck and kept the holster on my belt. I was in compliance with company policy that way. One day, I was hauled out of work on an ambulance gurney due to heart problems. My empty holster was in full view of everyone and I received no discipline. I advised the Medics that I was wearing an empty holster and their response was "We like empty holsters."
Yeah, my work is pretty 2A friendly. At orientation, head of security said "company policy is that you can't have a firearm on company premises. However, legally, your car is an extension of your home, so you're free to keep a legal weapon in there. Just leave it in your car"
Most of the guys here are vets and talk guns on their lunch breaks. Half of them will openly state they have a CCW, the other half just give a knowing smile.
My guess is, if my shirt rode up and someone saw the holster, the worst I'd get would be "that's empty, right?".

·
Premium Member
5,309 Posts
Criterions are very easy to take on and off. I’ve had a few times that I’ve taken my gun out of the holster and left the Criterion on before heading out of the house again with the gun. I have found that the empty Criterion is less comfortable than the full one.

·
Premium Member
20,303 Posts
I'd also be concerned about weakening the leather over time without the support of the pistol inside.

·
Premium Member
2,526 Posts
The holster will not be damaged wearing it empty, but I would not advertise the fact that my gun is in my car. Doing so advertises that info to the thieves you work with.

Reactions: webley 455

·
Premium Member
1,589 Posts
If I was going to be at work all day I would leave the gun in the holster in my glove compartment. If I was going to the Doctor’s office or somewhere like that where that I would not be too long I would leave my holster on and just leave the gun in the truck.

-

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I was going to be at work all day I would leave the gun in the holster in my glove compartment. If I was going to the Doctor’s office or somewhere like that where that I would not be too long I would leave my holster on and just leave the gun in the truck.
In principle, I agree with you. The problem is I drive a Jeep Wrangler with a soft top. It's never locked and the glove box can literally be ripped off with your bare hand. Without the holster, it'll fit in my steel, lockable center console. With the holster, I'll need a separate lock box of considerable size, and I'm not sure where I can hide that.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I think you will weaken the holster, and especially the sweat shield by wearing it empty for long periods of time. It [the sweatshield] may start folding over when the gun is drawn which will make reholstering tougher and possibly dangerous at some point.

from an older but similar thread:

From Milt Sparks website:

It is not a good idea to remove the gun from the holster while sitting down over extended periods. If you would rather not wear the gun while sitting, then the holster should be removed with the gun.

These recommendations apply not only to the WS-1, but to any IWB holster.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
In principle, I agree with you. The problem is I drive a Jeep Wrangler with a soft top. It's never locked and the glove box can literally be ripped off with your bare hand. Without the holster, it'll fit in my steel, lockable center console. With the holster, I'll need a separate lock box of considerable size, and I'm not sure where I can hide that.
Can't really hide it but you can secure it. You can replace the console with a hardened unit or buy one that can fit in the existing console.

just 1 of many options:

https://www.consolevault.com/console-vault.html

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would have a holster for the gun to be in, in the vehicle. I also wouldn’t wear an empty holster around. I just don’t see how any good can come of it. At best, you advertise you have or recently had a gun, somewhere. At worst, a situation occurs and you have to convince a bad guy you didn’t stow your gun somewhere, before they kill you as a potential threat.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can't really hide it but you can secure it. You can replace the console with a hardened unit or buy one that can fit in the existing console.

just 1 of many options:

https://www.consolevault.com/console-vault.html
Yeah, I've got a similar one already. Unfortunately, Wranglers have a very narrow console and most of the height is taken up by the factory subwoofer.
Looks like I'll just need to get a decent sized lock box.
For good or bad, I expect the holster to arrive about a month before my CCW is finalized, so I've got a little bit of time.

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,863 Posts
Nothing says that the gun has to be in the holster when the gun is secured in the car. If it won't fit in the lock box, secure the gun, hide the holster.
I don't think wearing it empty all day is a good idea.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have the same holster, two in fact. One commander, one government. I have to leave the gun in the vehicle at work. I just take holster and all off. If I’m not carrying, I don’t want the holster riding me all day.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Nothing says that the gun has to be in the holster when the gun is secured in the car. If it won't fit in the lock box, secure the gun, hide the holster.
Good point. Most thieves will not steal the holster

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Tim,

That's an excellent suggestion. It'll take a few extra seconds, but I think it'll do the trick, at least until I have an epiphany about something else, or get a different vehicle.
I'll probably get a very small, soft "holster" to put the sidearm in while its in the center console just to prevent it from getting scratched up. The holster could probably go in a ziplock bag (rain, top off, bad combo) in the map pocket behind the seat.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I am a Wrangler owner also and might suggest that Tuffy Products make a locking case that mounts to the back door of the Wrangler that is steel and lockable. There is also someone who makes a steel locking insert for the storage area under the back carpet if yours has that. I would also be apprehensive about wearing a empty holster and letting everyone know I have a pistol in my Jeep. You might try a different holster/gun combination that will fit in your console vault. I have found that my X9S in a Kydex holster will fit in mine though I rarely take mine off, Federal buildings is about the only reason for me.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts