1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havent found a way to carry in dress clothes that is functional and comfortable.

Anyone have any good ideas? Even google was meh on results.

everyone seems to say dont shoulder holster carry? But to me that seems the best option when in fitted dress clothes...under the arm would be the best place so it doesnt affect movement and poke out through fitted clothes.

·
Registered
12,380 Posts
Some people have made it work with IWB carry.

If your suit jacket is always on, you could consider OWB carry. With a very mall handgun, shoulder carry might work, but for many, self included, shoulder carry doesn't work so well.

With either of these, you need an understanding tailor.

Otherwise, this is one of those situations where off-body carry should at least be considered, despite its flaws.

Overall, your challenge is to the best combination of firearm selection, carry method, and quickness of access, all in the context of your own environment and most likely risk exposures in that environment. Each of these considerations affects the others ... they're interdependent.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
For me carrying while wearing a suit and tie was never an issue, and much easier compared to the clothes I normally wear when not in uniform.

BUT you do have to have your suits tailored for it. You can not wear slim fit suits and button them up. You have to leave enough room in the jacket so the weapon, regardless where you wear it, does not show.

Also you may have to have the pants' belt loops reinforced/rearranged. One tip I learned the hard way was on dress pants with a single middle rear loop you should replace that with two loops spaced about 1 inch apart. A gun belt can tear that single loop off if your even moderately active.

Finally darker colors "print" less the lighter ones, so depending on where you live and the weather you may have to adjust your wardrobe. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
A lot of it depends on your body type and what your definition of "dress clothes" is. I have no trouble with a small to medium size weapon in an OWB holster behind the strong-side hip but I don't wear fitted Italian suits either. There is always the ankle holster, as long as you don't have severely tapered pants legs. Shoulder holster would work too, especially if you have a fairly small or fairly flat weapon. Shoulder holsters are also good if you are going to be sitting down a lot.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im 6' 2", 180...tall and slender...and most of my dress clothes are fitted styled. I cant STAND baggy clothes.

Ive thought about off body carry...really would want to find something nice looking to do so. havent found anything yet (suggestions are welcome)

I also considered: http://www.sneakypeteholsters.com/kahr-pm40-sneaky-pete-holster-belt-clip/ but even as small as my pm40 is, it just seems like that would be big enough to scream "GUN HERE"

·
Registered
13,154 Posts
In no way would a Sneaky Pete scream "gun here'

I think that's your self-consciousness working overtime. Like a teen thinking the whole world will notice their pimple.

People are generally oblivious & only concerned about themselves.

Heck, I'm pretty observant. I find money / other items all the time & I see hobos under freeway bridges, wildlife, & other things that others do not notice.

But I've still only seen guns on civilian people twice.

Don't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
14,685 Posts
I bought a mouse gun in 380..to pocket carry on the rare occasions I'm in "dress cloths" ...weddings and funerals

if in a job/work related situation where "dress cloths" would be norm, think I'd check out one of those Sneaky Pete type holsters

http://www.sneakypeteholsters.com/

don't know anything about them personally, (no experience with them) but have thought if i was banker or worked in a professional office type environment . they "look" like they'd be as close to ideal as one could get

" ideal" conceal carry for me means strong side carry/fast access OWB in a cal larger than 380
(the way i carry everyday)

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I think the key is that if you are going to wear a suit, the jacket shouldn't be tight. Not baggy, but just not tight. I'm 5'11" 210lbs and solid. No one has ever spotted the full size 1911 on me. I also use a holster that has the FBI cant to it and my mag well heel has been rounded off. Makes a world of difference. Photo is of my commander, baby brother to my full size both built by Ken Crawley

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i had an lcp originally for pocket carry...but didnt like the gun. my pm40 is farrr better and i carry it much more often.

·
Premium Member
15,344 Posts
Guys have carried 1911s under a suit coat for a hundred years. To be even more 'svelte', think James Bond - PPK-size pistol/shoulder rig.

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
If you choose to wear tight, fitted clothes, you'll have troubles, particularly with a service sized gun.

My suits are English cut, more traditional than trendy. I do have a tailor that alters them a little, to aid in concealment when buttoned.

·
Registered
12,380 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you're willing to carry appendix, I highly recommend the JM Custom tuckable AIWB holster. Works excellent with single stack pistols like the Shield, G43, LC9, etc.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My suits tend to be slimmer fitted than sport coats and I wear a suit less however I do have two shoulder rigs, one horizontal and one vertical. Both work well with sport coats but behind the hip with and OWB works as well as long as I carry a compact like a 3" 1911 or my Sig 938.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My suits tend to be slimmer fitted than sport coats and I wear a suit less however I do have two shoulder rigs, one horizontal and one vertical. Both work well with sport coats but behind the hip with and OWB works as well as long as I carry a compact like a 3" 1911 or my Sig 938.
can the shoulder rigs be used under the dress shirt?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Have had no problem with a 1911 IWB under my suit, but I will often carry my Detective special, strong side IWB or OWB, as dictated by the occasion. Some great advice here, good thread. Honestly, most people are not aware of anything but themselves, much less if you have a weapon. If you can carry without fidgeting or touching it every ten seconds, then you're doing it right, and no one is going to notice. Some very good advice in this post, ie: dark colors, GOOD belt/holster, read the posts again. Shoulder carry under the shirt, not a good idea, IMO, slows your access a lot, and adds more layers over the weapon, actually making the Bulge seem larger. Ankle holsters, hate 'em, but that's just my opinion. Slow, slow, slow, and difficult to access. When you can almost forget that you are carrying, but still access your weapon readily, you are golden. It is as much mindset as anything. I have cc'd for many years, including a nickle Hi Power, only ever got made once.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts