1911Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
13,681 Posts
In case anyone here has ever wondered just how stupid CA carry laws can be, I have an amazing one for ya where they quote what is illegal.

Penal Code 25400PC, Subsection 2:

"Carries concealed upon the person any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person"

what the ????????????????????? Is that the weirdest & most redundant sentence ever written?

How much weed do these lawmakers smoke?

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
AZ is nice, no permit required for CCW or open carry. However, the benefits of reciprocity with other states and the ability to bypass the background check when buying, plus legal carry into some facilities serving alcohol will keep me renewing mine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
When I delivered medical supplies to the projects in Chicago I always carried, even though it was illegal. One day I was going around a corner and almost ran into a gangbanger, there was only 2' between us. He reached in his pants for a gun so I put my hand on his arm and drew my revolver. He pulled away and ran, the best kind of ending. What I took away from this (my edc is now a 1911) is to ALWAYS have a round chambered in condition 1. Being that close there is no way in hell to rack the slide.

·
Premium Member
942 Posts
When my boy turned 21 and got his concealed he asked to see mine.
I gave him a copy of the Constitution and told him I'm well connected, tight with the President, other elected officials and Cops.
He replied that I should get one as many of my older buddies have died.
I was saddened to learn that Washington had passed. :bawling: ;)

I did get one. :barf:

·
Registered
250 Posts
I carried without a license a couple of times, but that was 40 years ago. I hope the statue of limitations has expired.:) In 1995 Texas began issuing concealed handgun licenses. I don't know why I waited until 2013 to get one. Maybe one reason is the Texas Motorist Protection Act which allows the average citizen to carry a loaded and concealed weapon in his or her vehicle.

It is estimated that only about 5% of the adult population in Texas have a license to carry. How many actually carry under that license is probably way less than that. One good thing that Texas did was to lower the cost of the license substantially. IIRC it was $140 in 2013 when I got mine. It's been lowered to $40 for a 5 year license. And senior citizens and retired veterans only pay $25. Of course that doesn't include the cost of the required LTC classes which can range from $60 to $120.

It still feels like you have to jump through too many hoops to get a LTC. Take the class, get finger printed, submit the paperwork, and then wait, hoping you got everything right. That wait can be anywhere from 2 weeks to 8 weeks. One of the best benefits of the LTC here in Texas, is not having to go through a background check every time you purchase a firearm.

·
Registered
13,681 Posts
Ya know, I've been loosely involved in a few construction projects in other states & various CA counties.

The building codes I encountered were far more consistent in requirements than the crazily varied laws concerning guns.

Driving too. Not just in other states but in other countries! The consistency of law & requirements is amazing compared to the clusterfoo of gun rules.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Concealed Weapon Permit in Florida.....

Thanks to the help of Marion Hammer, we have some very realistic laws when it comes to getting a Concealed Weapon Permit:

1) there are no restrictions for any type or model of handgun...….I use different handguns for different reasons, since some conceal better than others.

2) A CCW permit allows the used to carry items for self defense other than firearms, such as knives with a blade length longer than 3", brass knuckles, etc.

3) There are common sense rules for where a concealed weapon is allowed and not allowed. For example, carrying a concealed weapon in a business where the main source of income is the dispensing of alcohol (a bar or lounge) is not legal.....but having a concealed weapon in a restaurant is fine.

It is illegal to have a concealed weapon in a post office......but I know a guy that worked with a precious metals dealer, and would regularly ship via the USPS, very expensive boxes of silver and gold bullion and coins....sometimes taking in 6-8 boxes on a hand truck that was valued over $200,000! :eek: He said he always carried a firearm but never divulged this to anyone, including the post office employees. I believe the product was insured through an outside carrier. so most post office people had no idea what the product was. He said he never took this delivery routine for granted, and each time he brought product to a post office, he had an AR-15 in the vehicle loaded with a 30 round mag, and once he got out of his vehicle, he surveyed the area (good situational awareness!) before he started to unload the vehicle with the precious metal cargo..... He said he would rotate going to different post offices! Fortunately for him, he never had an issue, and worked for the precious metal dealer for several years! :)

41 - 48 of 48 Posts