1911Forum banner

Casbian $400.0 ?

1K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Nathan 
#1 ·
I was in a local shp today and he had a 1911 with casbian slide, I dont know who made the frame, But it needed some work,, I was told that it needed a barrel link PIN, and I believe that was it, The shop was asking 400.00 for it,,,
Is this a reasonable $
I dont know anything about casbian parts,, I didnt pick up the gun and really look at it.. I can get there next friday, Dec 7,, To take a better look if it is still there, Shop closed sun and mon,,,
Thanks for any info!
Peter.

#2 ·
Searches and inquiries will find more if you spell it Caspian. They make good parts, used by some of the top custom gunsmiths in the country.

Thing is, Caspian doesn't make anything but parts and they can be assembled well or poorly. A klutz could take $1000 worth of parts and produce a $400 gun... or a pile of junk to be hidden in the back of the gun case. I would not pay $400 for an incomplete parts gun unless I was darned sure I could fix it.

#4 ·
My concern is why the shop wouldn't replace a link pin then command more $$$ for a working pistol. Perhaps the pin is loose in the barrel lug link pin hole? Could be as mentioned above, botched job and they don't want any part of making it work.

#6 ·
If all it really needed was a barrel link pin to make it right, and the shop knew enough about guns to state that all it needed was a barrel link pin, yet wouldn't simply put one in and sell the gun for double that makes me agree with Magnumite. Sketchy.

#9 ·
I think I will have to agree with the sentiment here. Caspian makes good parts and has a great reputation. That said, good parts are easily ruined by not so good gunsmiths. You will most likely end up with a pile of parts which cannot be easily fit together to make a working gun.

To be fair to the shop. . .Most shops will buy anything they think they can sell. They bought it because it says Caspian on the side. Most likely they do not know any more than it doesn't work. If you want to seriously study this for a buy, you will know you are capable of making this decision.

I once bought a rough looking Springfield Armory Compact. I detail stripped it as far as I needed to and tried to guess what I would just clean and what I would replace. I got lucky. Some of my replacement parts, I ended up being wrong and able to use the part anyways.

For a gun which I was sure was a custom build gone wrong, I would bring my Kuhnhausen Manuals, calipers and all detail strip tools. I would measure every key dimension and take notes of dimensional failures. Then I would have a detailed understanding of the gun's value. Then I would make an offer based on what I wanted to spend on a working gun - what I knew I was going to have to buy. The dealer would hate me in the end, but that is how you tell what it is worth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.