1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - so I've got my new to me Dillon 650 up and running. Very nice! But I'm a little unsure as to how many case the auto case feeder can handle at once. The manual says the hopper can be half full, but that would be about what? 7-800 .38 spl cases? Mine wouldn't handle that - about 2-300 seemed to work fine, but any more and the clutch started slipping. Am I on the right track here?

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
On my 650, I don't load .38 Special, but I do load a lot of .40 and .45 (using the large shell plate for the .45, and sometimes also for the .40) - I've always reached the "limit" of the shell plate at about 300+ cases with the .40, and about 250 with the .45. That's with the "Slow" setting. Can't say I've ever tried the "Fast" setting. :scratch:

I'd say you're right about on track. But that's just been my experience.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I put in about 150 cases, no matter if as small as .40S&W or as large as .44mag.
Everytime I refill the primer tube I put about 100 cases into the case feeder.
My case feeder can't handle well more than 200 cases in 357mag.

·
Registered
15,317 Posts
handfuls

When I start I dump in a few handfuls, and each time I load the primer mag I just dump in a few more.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I dump in 200 - 300 45acp cases at a time. I also have not run it on high, low keeps up with my reloading speed just fine.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks gents. I'll throw in a couple of handfuls when I refill the primer tube - good idea. I'll never get past the slow setting, but even at that this baby cranks out the rounds:rock:. One thing I will have to pay more attention to is the quality of my cases - getting hung up in the 650 is a lot more work clearing than on my 550.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have three 650 machines with the newest one being about three years old. On all of my machines I will typically put between four and five hundred 45's or 38's at a time in the hopper and have never noticed any issue with the motor being able to turn the plate. I do have the clutch on all of these devices adjusted fairly tight but not at the point they won't slip when stopped by hand.

A pal of mine got a new 650 a couple of months ago and for some reason, no matter how tight we make the clutch (even to the point that it can not slip), the motor is not able to turn the plate with much more than two-hundred 45's in the hopper. Not sure if Dillon has made any changes to the motor power, the gear ratios or to the motor resistor that is used on the low setting but my friends hopper comes to a halt if you put more than a couple hundred in the hopper.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
One thing I will have to pay more attention to is the quality of my cases - getting hung up in the 650 is a lot more work clearing than on my 550.
That's why I hand inspect every case before I reload. A little time now, saves more time later. Plus I cull the brass I don't want to reload (AMERC, WinNT, etc).

·
Premium Member
3,784 Posts
That's why I hand inspect every case before I reload. A little time now, saves more time later. Plus I cull the brass I don't want to reload (AMERC, WinNT, etc).
When you catch yourself loading your magazine with a round with a split halfway down the case, you will find that case inspection will suddenly move up your priority list.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I use a 1 Quart cottage cheese plastic container to dump cases into my case feeder / but 2 or 3 containers full of brass at a time seems to run better in the case feeder than filling it up 1/2 full. So I think you're just fine.

I keep my feeder on the low setting all the time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts