1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I noticed my alot of my brass showed some interesting dents, I don't know if this is normal but I'm starting to save my brass for when I start reloading I won't have to buy'em.

Is this normal?
Would I still be able to use this case for reloading?
Or is it a sign of a weaking reoil spring?

Gun: Springfield Champion, about 1,500 round thru it.

PIC

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
Perfectly normal.

Cartridge cases are one-time-use items and remain on the ground after firing.

You'll need to have the ejection port lowered and flared if you want the cases unharmed.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Perfectly normal.

You'll need to have the ejection port lowered and flared if you want the cases unharmed.

-- Chuck

Yup, as Chuck S said. I'd also check the tension on the extractor and make sure the claw is clear of any debris...

DISCLAIMER: The preceding personal opinions are just that -- opinions. They were derived through study & reading, from conversations with other firearm enthusiasts, and by finalizing my own experiences regarding the subject at hand; the comments are not intended as a slight against any other opinion/opinions from forum members or administrators...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perfectly normal.

-- Chuck
It is, My gun is a SA Champion Loaded. I thought maybe my recoil spring was getting weaker causing faster slide movement, guess not.

I'll leave my cases on the ground as soon as chucks starts buying my ammo...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Wow, I never though a lowered and flared ejection port could still leave dings that large.

I too like to save my brass for reloading. Maybe you need new recoil springs. At any rate, when you start to reload and download your ammo, you should see the size of that ding decrease.

·
Registered
535 Posts
YMMV as my experiences mentioned are a different caliber but hey, you let Glock talk into your thread so please don't blackball me for mentioning my Razorback 10mm 1911.:biglaugh:

I have had almost that same crease/dent show up with hot loads such as Doubletap 1300fps 180gr Gold Dots that eject all too far telling me I need a stiffer spring to use them. "Normal" factory loads do not suffer as much or bear the dent and eject appropriately. Except for the fact that where I have been shooting indoors it is impossible to tell how far away they would land. If you can shoot outdoors let the ejection distance be another indicator besides the crease but I think you might be onto something with the spring.

:Insert typical 1911 newbie disclaimer here:

Robert

1 - 9 of 9 Posts