1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks:

I use a Dillon XL-650 to reload 45 ACP. In addition, I have a friend that uses a Dillon XL-650 to reload 40. We both use Dillon dies. Now the Question: He is trying to convince me to lube my cases prior to loading. It seems a heck of waste of time and a large mess. He swears the cases are so easy to load I must try it. Before I make huge mess has anyone tried this? If so, what are the results?

Mark

·
Registered
259 Posts
I also use the 650.(9mm, 38super,45)
I only use lube when I am loading new "unfired" brass. I do not use any lube for brass that has been fired. When I do lube I use the Hornady spray can, I cannot remember what name other than Hornady is on the can but I believe it is the only spray lube they make(I'm at work so I cannot go read the can), it is a red can and you should find it at any gun shop that sells reloading supplies.
The only reason I use lube on new brass is so the powder die does not stick in the mouth of the case after belling. I guess lubing would make the sizing a little smoother but to me the trade off in extra work spraying and wiping off the brass does not justify the benefit. Being old and lazy it takes a lot of justification to make me add extra work to anything.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hey Mark,

Take a 1 gallon freezer bag and spray a LIGHT coating inside and then fill with brass. Toss the brass around for a minute or two (shake and bake). The key is applying a VERY light coat. If done right, no mess or need to clean brass after loading.
Try it...you'll like it! You shooting the match this Sunday?

Greg

·
Registered
54 Posts
I also load 45 acp on a 650. I found out right away that new brass was a problem and I just put a little lube on the powder/belling die and it smoothed right up. Repeat as needed. Only new brass has needed it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Guys try this. Get some Dillon case lube, take a old bullet box, put brass in it , pump a few squirts in it, shake the box a bunch, pour it in the case feed, and try loading it. You will be hooked.
Only problem with this is when you check your powder charge during your loading you will need to wipe off the lube on the case beller part on the powder feed and use a non lubed case to check the powder charge. This is so powder doesnt stick to the mouth of the case.
When you are done loading your rounds, take some old case cleaning media, pour a capful of laquer thinner into it, let it run for about a minute, and put the loaded rounds in the tumbler for about 15min.
Now, before people start the "flammable liquid around electic motors" and "the rounds will set off the primers" and "the powder will degredate" tirade, I would like to tell you to call Dillon's tech line first and ask them about it. The case lube was designed to make the progressive work more smoothly, so powder didnt spill out and make a mess, plus when you are loading several K of rounds at a time, it wont wear you out as bad! Also check out Brian Enos's tape on competition reloading on the 650, he says the same thing, and he has loaded a heckuva lot more rounds that me. I know I have loaded over 75,000 rounds this way and have had no problems, plus the tumbler makes the rounds all shiny and looking new, plus gets rid of any excess lube from the lead bullets.
If this makes you feel uncomfortable, give Dillon a call. Realize this does work and is not dangerous. If you dont to do this with your rounds, thats cool. I think you can tell by now this topic has come up before and gotten flamed pretty well! (lol) Good luck, DC

------------------
front sight is good, front sight is good!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have a 650XL and load 45 ACP and 9mm. I do lube the 9mm since it has a slight taper and it does run through the resizer easier. I just spread the brass out on a beach towel and give it a light spray with Hornaday One Shot. Shake the brass around in the towel a bit and dump it into the casefeeder.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts