1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
217 Posts
I'll assume that you've got the correct recoil spring.

But I'm wondering about the lockup. I'm assuming that .460 barrel is new with new link. I'm not sure how to measure this, but perhaps an old technique of using prussian blue? Coat the lugs on the barrel, reasseble, cycle once, dissassemble and measure area wiped free of blue.

The barrel slide obviously needs to stay together for awhile. When they part company too early, the slide will be extracting a case under a lot of pressure. You might want to check those cases for gouges on the front of the rim - indicating a serious tug-of-war between the extractor and a case under pressure.

Very good photography.

------------------
Have a great day!

·
Banned
217 Posts
Good point Patrick about the primer/brass. If the barrel/slide is moving apart during initial firing, i.e. the case head is not squarely against the breachface, then the primer will wipe the firing pin channel. This tiny movement should still show on the extractor groove. I'm also thinking that this rearward movement basically allows the case to separate from the rearward thrust.

Now I believe that Starline's .460 Rowland brass is a lengthened .45Super. But I believe this brass is supposed to under go a heat treatment. Standard 45acp pressures probably won't identify a brass process problem, but .460 Roland could. Starline makes a 45acp +P case which has a thicker web but doesn't undergo the heat treating.

I wish you well in this endevor and I look forward to reading the analysis/solution.

------------------
Have a great day!

·
Banned
217 Posts
AKM: What is a leade? I'm currious as to how they modify the barrel to achieve correct headspace.

I'm interested in the resolution of this problem as I just might learn something

------------------
Have a great day!

[This message has been edited by dla (edited 10-09-2001).]

·
Banned
217 Posts
AKM: Forgive my ignorance, but I thought a .45acp headspaced off the extractor. In other words, I thought the headspace is really determined by the grip the extractor has on the case as it holds it against the breachface.

------------------
Have a great day!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.