1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just had a Caspian 9mm 1911 (titanium race ready frame) built for my son. Gun is awesome, but having problems with magazines. Metalform 9mm mags (with rear spacer) were recommended. The mags won't drop free reliably when empty (loaded they drop fine). Checked trigger bow, disconnector, mag release, etc. All are Ok. Tried a Wilson 45acp mag for fit and it drops free when empty.

Anyone played with a Caspian 9mm and if so, what mags did you end up with? If metalform, did you have to tweak them to get them to drop free?
Thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
My colt mags wouldn't drop out of mine but the wilson and regular mags without the dimpled spacer in the back would drop free. I wrapped some 80 grit sand paper around a file and opened the well up a hair and they all work perfectly now.

·
Premium Member
20,305 Posts
I've got the same project going for my daughter. Let us know how it progresses.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Nick,

I just replied to your PM using the e-mail address you gave me; then I read this. I would add that my Springfield/Metalform mags come flying out of my gun, loaded or not.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2cats-Thanks for the feed back.

Richard- the pistol was built by Al Zitta (the Z-Man) of ZM Weapons. Al does not build many pistols anymore and did this one for me as a favor to me for my son. His prices are pretty steep ($3500-$4K) range for a pistol and most folks don't want to pay that price. They don't realize what they are getting and the hours of labor he puts into a pistol. He touches every part. His work is amazing if you know what you are looking at. Unfortunately, the week link in this pistol are the mags. I wanted 9mm so I could buy case lots of 115gr ball and have my son shoot it up. On a side note I found that Magtec 115gr ball is soft with a 130pf. The pistol is accurate as hell. Ragged (very small) hole even with factory ball ammo. We used a Clark ramped 9mm barrel. Al said he loves these barrels as they are very hard and shoot great. He was right.

AZ Husker- Where am I now? Al had originally used a Wilson 9mm side stop and we found that the portion of the slide stop that sticks into the frame was short. The follower of both the metalform (rear spacer 9mm magazine) and the Wilson 38 super magazines would jump the side stop when inserted empty or after the last round was fired. The slide stop would then hold the magazine in the gun, not allowing it to drop free. The slide would not lock back as well. He went through a bunch of slide stops and found a (Grieder SP?) that was longer. This seemed to fix the problem. I had already sent the metalform mags back to metalform for replacement (they were very supportive). I'm waiting for the new Springfield/Metalform mags to give them a try.

The Wilson .38super mags function in the pistol. However they only accept (9) 9mm rnds (instead of (10) 38sup. rnds). The 9mm rnds stack on the rim area and leave the nose flopping around. With a fully loaded mag, the 1st round likes to nose dive into the feed ramp as it has no support. Once the 1st round is chambered the gun runs and the slide locks back. I'm not comfortable with this as I think I'm only asking for problems. Hopefully the metalform (new style) mags will fix the problem.

If I had to do it over again I would have built the gun in .38super and just loaded ammo for my son. If all else fails, I can have the 9mm barrel rechambered to 38 super and run the Wilson mags.

Hope this helps.
Later,
Nick

·
Registered
21,770 Posts
Try a McCormick 10-round Super magazine.
Mine feed 9mm ball reliably in my Colt and my parts gun.
You do have to jump up and down on the tenth round to get it in but it can be done and with a good shove will seat under a closed slide so as to get to 10+1 for IDPA ESP.

Failing that, will Junior be severely handicapped by shooting only 9+1?

Tripp is advertising a high line of feed 1911 magazine. His www site is not clear, but he may have a 10-round 9mm or that style of 10-round Super might work with 9mm. More expensive than most, though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Caspian 1911 9mm magazines

I built a 9mm 1911 using caspian slide, caspian aluminum frame with steel ramp insert and Bar-sto semi drop-in barrel, wilson
ejector and 9 mm slide stop, brown safeties and all other parts
caspian. The only magazines that have proven to be absolutely
reliable are the metalform with the front crimped tubes. These
magazines present the cartridge in the proper position at the
back of the mag. I think these are made for and marketed by Springfield but you can also buy them from Metalform.

All mags drop free, empty or loaded with slide locked back and
all positively engage slide stop every time. I bought 10 with
welded base and rubber bumper pad and made in stainless. They all WORK.

I tried Colt , metalform, pachmayr all with the welded-in
spacer in the back of the mag and also 38 super mags from
Wilson and CM. The 38 super mags worked well if I loaded
long, unfortunately I could not use these loads in other 9mm
magazines like Hi-power or Glock.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Grinder

Did you coat the aluminum or try to have it anodized?

If so, what did you do with the feed ramp insert.

thank you

Richard

·
Registered
53 Posts
I left the frame as it came from Caspian and Just polished
the ramp insert.

Looks fine combined with a stainless slide.

Grinder

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the new Springfield/Metalform 9mm mags in and they look good. Two of the mags would not drop free, but I buffed the high spot on the mags and they work fine. Seem to lock the slide back with no problem. Keeping my fingers crossed. Just need to get to the range to give them a try. Will keep you posted.
Nick-

·
Premium Member
20,305 Posts
Can one of you guys post a photo of the top of the new mags please? I just bought three new Metalforms, but they're just like any other.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here are pics of the Spfld/Metalform mags. Your will notice a groove on the front of the mag. The older metalform mags have a spacer inside the mag that runs down inside the mag on the back.

The brighter spot on the mags is where I buffed it as it was hitting there on all the mags. This took care of it and they all drop free.

Nick-

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,305 Posts
Thanks Nick! So the main difference is the rounds are kept to the rear of the magazine instead of the front like the other style with the spacer to the rear?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Spoke to my gunsmith last night, and among other things we talked about these magazines. He told me another customer of his bought some when they first came out - about a year ago, when I got mine - and had to modify them to get them to work, but has more recently bought more, and they all worked as delivered. This fits in with the reports that Springfield was made aware of the problems early on. Looking at Nick's pix, and never having seen an old unmodified magazine, I'd say that the new magazine looks like my old, modified, magazine - whatever that means.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Yes, and the ridge in the front keeps the nose of the bullet from nose diving when the slide is chambering the round. It also appears to keep the bullet back against the rear of the mag.

The other mag that has the spacer in the rear uses dimples for lack of a better word, to hold the spacer in place. These dimples alter the shape of the mag and you get high spots. The new design looks to be better. IMHO.

Nick

1 - 20 of 30 Posts