1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is the latest project that I completed. Although I specialize in IPSC pistols, mostly Open, I still really enjoy building singlestacks!

Some details:

Caspian slide and frame
Schueman Classic barrel
Many Ed Brown and EGW small parts
Extreme Engineering trigger group
BoMar and Dawson sights
Ahrends Dymondwood Raspberry grips
HK Black DuraCoat finish

The frame is checkered 25lpi. The slide is flat topped with an "Arrow" pattern serration, french border at the top of the flats and a 30 deg. bevel on the bottom edges. The sight blade is fully serrated and the back of the slide to match.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Caspian

I really like the deep dark black finish on the pistol, the grips really make a nice contrast with the finish.

Who is going to be first to take it out for a test drive?

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,296 Posts
JPL has done a lot of work for me, from trigger jobs to sight dovetails. Excellent quality, and easy to work with.

·
Registered
51 Posts
What sort of trigger is that? I've seen it before, but can't place it...(and obviously not in red...although the coloring of a trigger IS giving me idea...)

-Ghent

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
WwwwwwwOW! Now THAT is something DIFFERENT! I can't recall having ever seen a pistol that uniquely interesting. Can you imagine being a builder and being commissioned to build a single-stack carry gun that has a modern look, but is still all-business? That would be a pretty tall order and would take quite a bit of imagination. This gun sure fits that description!

Obviously the detail work is superb on all counts. But what really gets me is how different - and how cohesive! - the whole design is. For example, the treatment of the back sides of the slide are very thoughtfully done! Often when I see Bo Mar sights, they just seem to look added on. On this pistol, the rear serrations, french border, Bo Mar rear sight and even the roll-over notch just seem to go together - the sight looks like it is part of the whole, rather than just added on.

And color schemes don't usually catch my eye much, but the red grips, trigger and front sight really stand out against the black finish and help bring the whole machine together visually.

The work on the recessed pin hole and the flat-top serrations are also obviously very precisely done, and with what looks like deeper cuts on the outsides of the top flat, even the dovetailed-in front sight seems to disappear into the slide, so that, like the rear sight, the front one doesn't look added on either.

Also, look at the third photo - I can't describe what I see, but it's something about the combination of the ball cuts and the beefy muzzle set up that I REALLY like - it's beefy, but absolutely not clunky looking - just thick and slick.

And then, in the second-to-last photo, the uniformity of the lines of the back of the frame. Can't tell what GS was used, but there was obviously a LOT of detailed hand work done there! The memory pad looks like it has been substantially contoured, and then as the GS goes up into the tangs, it just disappears.

Beautiful pistol, sir. Thanks so much for posting photos of such a unique design so well executed!

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
374 Posts
Very impressive- I particularlyl like the flat topped and lining on the top of the slide--- it just looks great! How about some benchres 25yd targets?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you, all, for taking the time to look and for your comments.

Bill and Bob's mean a lot to me. Bill, because he is always referring people to Heinie:) and Bob because I have long admired his work.

To answer a couple of questions:

BigJon, the grip safety is/was an Ed Brown Memory Groove.

RRA and blsexton, it hasn't been benched. It has shot quarter sized 10 shot groups at 10 yards, offhand, but not by me!

Ghent, as Bill said, it is a SVI Interchangeable trigger, short curved insert.

·
Banned
672 Posts
That one really grabs the eye. The contrast reeled me in, and the great work on the details blew me away. Fantastic work, looking forward to seeing more.

Dave

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
John, it should tell you something about your work (IMHO) that while Dick Heinie has always built my guns, that I have hade you working on other guns. I may just need another gun in the future.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts