1911Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Belongs to a good friend of mine. I've shot a couple of mags through this gun and it's sweet. I liked the bobtail feature so much I had a titanium one built very similar to it.
List of features:

Novak Lo-Mount bar-dot tritium night sights
Wilson Combat stainless steel barrel & bushing
GI recoil spring system
Slide customized with ball cuts and beveled lower edge
Caspian slotted Commander hammer, EGW sear, Videki trigger
Wolff springs through out
Front strap has Caspian 20 lpi checkering
30 lpi checkering on the front of the trigger guard
shortened and recessed slide stop pin
Ed Brown beavertail
C&S extended thumb safety
Ed Brown bobtail MSH, serrated 20 lpi
Extensive carry bevel
Full reliability work
4# crisp trigger pull
Davidson G-10 grips

·
Registered
735 Posts
dubb-1 said:
:yawn: Typical Harrison top-notch craftsmanship. Very few can make the aggressive slide beveling look good. John and Tim come to mind. A nice CCW piece, to be sure!

DW
Yes, but when you don't have one yet you long for one. Harrison/Precision Gunworks do mighty fine work. :)

·
Super Moderator
13,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This attached picture isn't of the gun in the thread, but it gives you an idea of what a Novak sight picture looks like. The front sight is a fiber optic orange insert.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
How does the "Bobtail" change the gun's feel in the hand? Does the recoil impulse feel any different? Any idea on how much weight is shaved off the pistol due to the "bobtail"? I am guessing less than an ounce, and I am guessing I could not feel any difference. BUT I have not YET shot a "bobtail". :)

·
Super Moderator
13,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The reason I like the bobtail is not due to recoil impulse one way or the other. I like the way it feels in my hand and the way it helps to conceal the pistol's butt. If you hold a standard grip frame 1911 in your hand in the shooting position, and use your other hand as a lever to raise the barrel/slide in an upward and rearward motion (mimicking the pistol recoil), the lower rear part of the grip frame does nothing to counteract the recoil. Most of the recoil is directly in the beavertail safety and webbing of your shooting hand. So chopping off a chunk of the lower end of the MSH doesn't lessen the controllability of the pistol. It does make the grip feel smaller.
As for the weight saving, I have no idea Scott. I guess you can weight a bobtail MSH and a standard MSH to see the difference, plus deduct a bit of weight that was removed off the frame (I imagine this part is less than an ounce).
Of course you have not YET shot a bobtailed pistol.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Ricky T,

Thanks for the information. I agree, that for my hands, the lower corner of the standard butt does not help me support the weight of the pistol. I can see how the reshaped frame can make concealing the frame quite a bit easier. I have been curious about the "Bobtail", but I have never been willing to specify it on a custom.

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Not Ricky T, but I can offer a wee bit of insight. The feel is going to be determined in no small part, by the shooters hand. The "butt" of the palm, in particular. For my meaty hands, this area contacts the bottom of the msh in a firm manner. Thus, the absence of that area that is removed for a bobtail doesn't feel "right" to me. Everybody is different, though.

Be well!

·
Super Moderator
13,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gary1911A1 said:
Ricky T, does the bobtail modification change where the front sight is pointed for your grip?

For me, I don't notice any change in the natural point of aim. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I finally got to shoot the pistol pictured in this thread, and I can say that the Bobtail does not mess with my shooting one bit. I had no trouble with fast strings of fire once I remembered that a Commander needs a little more grip rigidity to control the recoil. I also had to be reminded that a Commander will not tolerate some things that a five-inch pistol will. I find it much easier to shoot a five-inch pistol than I do a Commander.

In my opinion, the Bobtail has no adverse impact on my shooting, and it obviously is a positive for carry. I have long believed that a five-inch slide on an Officer's ACP frame is the ne plus ultra for carry. Now I am inclined to believe that a Bobtail five-inch gun is the answer for me.

After I spend some more time with this pistol, I will write a more comprehensive review.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.