1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caspian offers a full-profile slide (i.e. without the radius up front) as a no-charge option on it's slides. I'm planning on building a stainless commander as my next project, and I thought the full-profile slide might look good - maybe similar to the general appearance of STI's BLS (which is admittedly an officer-size firearm, but you get the idea). I believe EGW offers a full profile melt bushing which might work well with this (I don't have a lathe, so I have stayed away from bull barrels).

Anyone have any photos of work built using a Caspian full-profile slide, or any comments about working with them?

Thanks,
Jared

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Just for reference, you don't need a lathe to fit a bull barrel. I'm not sure how all bull barrels are, but Schuemann bull barrels don't need it. It shouldn't be so oversized that you need a lathe. Stones, sandpaper & files should do the trick.

Also, for reference as well, the BLS has a dustcover and slab slide together. Make sure your frame has a dustcover that will match otherwise you will have a squared front slide that has a right angle to the dustcover.

Good luck

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply - I'd always heard that you needed to lathe-turn the end of your bull barrel to fit barrel OD to your slide. if not, it sounds like it's less work then fitting a traditional barrel bushing where I have to ream the inside diameter and then turn the OD down to fit the slide (I can do the latter with a drill press).

regarding the BLS, my understanding is that the BLS does not have an extended dustcover to fit flush with the slide - the following pic is from STI's website:

This is actually the look I was looking for, although STI's frames and slides are quite different from Caspian in terms of dimension (for example, STI builds up their frames so the slide appears to sit flush on top of the frame as opposed to overhanging it on the side). I was wondering if anyone had built anything like this using a caspian frame and a full profile slide (wanted to see what that would look like before buying the slide...)

Jared

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
My bad, my memory indicated that it was a full dustcover on the BLS.

I saw an STI bull barrel fitted without a lathe and I personally fit a Schuemann without a lathe.

Good luck in your quest.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's exactly what I was looking for - thanks for the reply and photo! Doesn't look like you;ve got a bushing on the end, so I am guessing that you used a bull barell?

I was really expecting it to look a bit more like an STI, but the front end actually looks (to me) a bit like a high-power. I like the jeweling on the sides of the grip safety, very nice touch. Also - the front-strap treatment looks pretty distinctive. Are those horizontal grooves you've machined in?

Best regards,
Jared

·
Registered
194 Posts
I did use a bull barrel and the front strap was something new I was trying out. I milled the grooves into the front strap.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks for the extra photos, they really do the gun justice. I like the new crown on the barrel quite a bit - that thing must look bigger then the holland tunnel from wrong end. The detail in your photos also really shows off the nice work on the front-strap.

Dave - the contrast between the grooved (machined) parts and the ridges between them looks great - how did you do that? looks like you brought the front-strap to a high polish and then machined in the grooves using a ball-end mill, but the actual "grooved" part of the front-strap still looks like it has a matte finish - more of a matte finish then I would think the end mill would leave. However you did it, it looks great, and I'll bet it won't show dings or hard wear the way 30 lpi checkering will. Also really complements the mainspring housing treatment. I really like it!

Best regards,
jared

1 - 12 of 12 Posts