1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had one welded to my loaded stainless. The project isn't finished yet. I de-horned all the edges and just finished masking it off today. I'm going to take it to get bead blasted tomorrow. I'll post more pics when it's done.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should be picking up the gun on Monday or Tuesday. The whole pistol will be glass bead blasted to a matte finish. I'll post pics of the completed gun ASAP.

The welder did a really nice job fitting the rail. It is both bolted and welded (silver solder) at Caspian's recommendation. I filed down all the sharp edges (there were quite a few) and had a dovetail cut for the front sight... the gun is "new" but it is a older Springfield with a previously pinned/staked front sight.

The M3 light fits the rail pretty well. There is no side-to-side play. There is just a hint of play, front-to-back, between the light and rail. I'm concerned that the slop will "open up" more under repetitive recoil so I'm going to epoxy some plastic shim-stock to the crossbar to tighten things up.

Other than those modifications the pistol is a stock Springfield stainless loaded. I didn't mess with the barrel fit, trigger group, or slide-to-rail fit because all were good right out of the box.

Pictures soon to follow...

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It turned out pretty well. The welds are solid, but have a little bit of "cupping" in the creases. The photos are a bit deceiving. The shallow spots on the welds are only a few thousandths deep. I might dress them up a little more with a needle file when I get some free time.

The entire gun was glass bead blasted by a friend who owns a body shop. He was afraid to be too aggressive and it could still use a little more blasting around the edges and on the slide release/lock.

The dovetail was a bit too tight and I broke the front sight trying to drift it in. That was definitely an expensive lesson about "forcing" things. I'll need another Novak tritium front sight.

Obviously, this is a Springfield pistol. I listed it in the Caspian board because the rail itself is manufactured by Caspian. The light is a Streamlight M3

·
Registered
14 Posts
The rail looks great!

I do have a question. The cut-out on the rear of the rail, can the cutout be placed more to the rear around the trigger guard? Would this require some contouring of the trigger guard and dust cover?

Like I said it looks great and may cause me to purchase a 1911 for my birthday.

96Ag

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you everyone.

Damond:

I'm not sure how new the rail is. I bought it a few months ago right off their website.

96Ag:

As far as setting back the rail into the notch... It could be done but you would either have to recontour the dust cover or the rail. Rails are cheaper so I would probably go that route. As it sits now, the M3 uses the very first notch for the crossbar. If it sat any further back the rear of the light would hit the trigger guard. Right now I only have a few mm's or so of clearance. Make sure you measure carefully before you alter the gun or the rail.

TrioFijo:

No, I really don't need all those slots... just the first one. I suppose the extra slots do lighten it up if weight is a concern. Maybe caspian was just trying to make something universal. Who knows? This particular gun is for "house" duty so weight or bulk is of no real concern.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The bead blasting was done very lightly so the metal isn't etched very deeply. I suppose that the edges will begin to polish out eventually, but the beauty of blasting is that to touch up the finish it only takes a few minutes in the cabinet.

The finish is bare stainless steel. No coatings.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts