1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here I am staring down a .45 ACP/.45 Super project, and I want to know - which would be better, a $210 Caspian slide or a $160 STI? Aside from fifty reasons to go STI, which will last longer, stay tight longer, and what are the other differences? This is just for a straight slabbed side, no other work needs to be considered - just a baseline comparison.

Or should I go with someone else, like Wilson ($$$), Baer, or who?

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
loyalty

Caspian, of course.
Just simple pride of ownership.

(Yes, the STI product is excellent, too.)

·
Registered
525 Posts
I don't know if it has changed, but Caspian did make at one time the barstock slides for STI. The main difference was the alloy, Caspian uses 4340 which is supposed to be a little tougher, and the STI used good ole 4140. It may have changed since STI bought LSA machining. I don't think you will go wrong either way, both outstanding companies. Caspian is my personal preference.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Both are excellent choices. I`ve used both. Don`t lose any sleep trying to figure which one to go with.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
There are more options available with Caspian. I personally don't care for STI slide serrations, STI logo and the way they flare their ejection ports. But other than cosmetics, both are good quality parts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can get completely bald, no logo STI slides from Brazos; this was what prompted me to ask.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I went with an STI on my last custom build-up. I like the serrations and especially the scallop, but not the "Texas" logo--but a big ol' file took care of that problem just fine!

Can't imagine there's any significant quality difference between Caspian and STI slides.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts