1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very interested in the new Caspian frame with rails in it currently used for Army SF's. Caspian said it will be available in 10/01. Anyone see it yet? Pictures?

I have a Springfield Mil-spec new and fit exceptionally well, do you think I could swap frames in it with this new Caspian frame?
Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had talked to Gary of Caspian some time ago about his new frame with the accessory (Picatinny) rail milled into the frame, like the SA Operators, but I didn't realize they had already set a date for marketing them. I believe that they will be different from the rails on an SA; they should eliminate attachment points that aren't used normally anyways (ones towards the muzzle)-- someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

As far as interchangability, I know Caspian generally manufactures all their parts oversized so that a gunsmith can smith the frame and slide to a proper fit; but as far as simply swapping frame and slide, I don't know. I would think you'd want some smithing done on the frame/slide to ensure it cycles smoothly.

Anyone know how much this new Caspian frame is going to cost, and what steels/metals they are going to manufactured out of? Will it be cut out of barstock like most of Caspian's parts, or cast?

Lastly, what kind of wear would this frame receive if you use it in a Kydex holster? I figure the rail would mess up the lining of the holster, as well as jack up the finish on the frame (if it was a finished frame). Any advice?

------------------
GO ARMY!!!
BEAT NAVY!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I understand it, it will be cast. But Caspian ensured me that this cast frame is their STRONGEST frame yet! Any recs on who should do the parkerizing on this to match the rest of my mil-spec?
Thanks-

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Caspian has always had cast frames with lifetime warranty on the 45 I think...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

!!!Molon Labe'!!!

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Thanks for your interest in our new recon rail receiver.The rail is designed to reenforce the dustcover and trigger guard area while maintaing the smallest possible profile allowing the unit to be as holster friendly as possible. It will be machined from a cast blank and carry our forever guarantee. We should have them ready to go in November.
Gary

[This message has been edited by Gary Smith (edited 09-25-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts