1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was weighing 340 gr cast bullets I considered the parameters I was using which is .5 gr . I couldn't remember where I came up with this so I went back through the literature that I have and found that in the RCBS manual .

This seems a little questionable as I think that it would be a percentage of the weight versus a set value .

So , my question is , how does everyone else segregate/cull their cast ?
This is for my .454 by the way ......

Thanks in advance !

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
For most of my loads it just does not matter. + or - 5 grains (that's 5 not 0.5gr) just does not make an issue at 25 or even 50 yards. I'll weigh a percentage of any new cast bullets I buy (new weight or new style) just to see how consistent they run but other than that I've found no noticeable difference in performance.

Long range rifle bullets would be a different matter. However few long range shooters use cast rifle bullets.

Grumpy

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Unless you're shooting in precision bullseye competition, there are just too many other factors more important to worry about than a few grains variation in bullet weight.

Same thing for powder charges. Unless you're right up there against the maximum, a few tenths of a grain either way isn't worth worrying about.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Even in Bullseye competition, weight variations of UP to 3 grains will still go into a group of under 2" at 50 yards.

I'm pretty anal about my 50 yard cast bullets and have done a lot of Ransom testing.

Subject to the pistol's accuracy potential, the quality of the load, one's ability to use a Ransom rest, they're usually good to go as long as the bases are perfect & there's no visual flaws . This would also require your casting technique and lead mix to be consistent.

At 25 yards, you can pretty much load anything & they'll stay in the 10 ring with most in the X.

Al

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even in Bullseye competition, weight variations of UP to 3 grains will still go into a group of under 2" at 50 yards.

I'm pretty anal about my 50 yard cast bullets and have done a lot of Ransom testing.

Subject to the pistol's accuracy potential, the quality of the load, one's ability to use a Ransom rest, they're usually good to go as long as the bases are perfect & there's no visual flaws . This would also require your casting technique and lead mix to be consistent.

At 25 yards, you can pretty much load anything & they'll stay in the 10 ring with most in the X.

Al
when I'm casting I reject the bullets that the bases don't look perfect (square) in the mold and then use gas checks .

So maybe I'm thinking too hard , time to quit weighing and start shooting .
thanks for the response !!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts