1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When did Colt adopt the cast thumb safety lock, grip safety, and magazine catch buttons? My 1978 Series '70 Government Model has the older parts, but all of the Series '80 pistols that have crossed my path appear to have cast thumb safety locks, grip safeties, and magazine catches. The older parts feel heavier and much better in the hand.

· Administrator
80,888 Posts
I once had an early Series 80 (1984-ish) with the machined parts, but my 1989 Gov't came with the cast parts. I can't remember what the '86 SS Gov't I had came with, but I think it may have been machined as I have a machined SS thumb safety in my parts box.

· Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The finish on the cast parts shows little voids (look like pinpricks in the metal) as the result of the casting process. The parts also show signs of the ejector pins used to eject them from the mould cavity, signs where the feedstock line enters the mould, and the parting line where the two mould halves meet.

The machined parts lack evidence of casting described above, show more toolmarks, and feel more solid. Finish is usually much more uniform on a part that has not been cast.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.