1911Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
A lot more frequent cleaning needed with lead - both field strip and detailed.
Theoretically the barrel lands last longer than with jacketed.
Bullseye shooters use almost exclusively lead bullets, more smoke with the lube but a lot cheaper to load.
Some indoor ranges don't permit lead or even jacketed if the base is exposed. Due to fears of lead in the air, they want encapsulated heads such as Rainier's or Berry's for reloaders or the WinClean commercial line.
/B

·
Banned
91 Posts
This is from an old fart, years back people mentioned accuracy could be an issue with lots of soft lead in a 1911 because the Browning designed barrel has rather shallow grooves. On 20+ year old Colt's it was an issue, not sure if modern barrel makers still use JMB's barrel design.

What does that mean, use harder alloys. Don't try to make a cast +P load. You have to clean the bore a bit more then if you are shooting ball or JHP's.

If you reload and you don't have to cast the bullets yourself, go for it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Used to shoot a lot of lead, but have switched to jacketed after buying a Glock 7 years ago. (Lead & Glocks don't play well together)

The main reason I got away from lead though, is the clean-up. After shooting a few hundred rounds of cast bullets, especially out of a revolver it's a bear to clean, especially when the lead has plated all over the forcing cone/cylinder gap.

Jacketed bullets don't cost a whole lot more than lead (unless you cast yourself, which I don't) Guess it's just my laziness, but I'll stick with jacketed, thank you

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I have cast and shot more lead bullets in my 1911's then I ever want to try and think about. Dirty, smoky and a heck of a lot of fun :) I can shoot much much more shooting my cast bullets. If you push the bullet at anything near a normal load your not going to have any problems.

Stacey

·
Registered
117 Posts
I shoot almost entirely LRN 230 gr thru my springer 1911A1. They work well. Leading in the barrel can be an issue, but I almost always shoot four to six copper jacketed rounds (usually winchester white box stuff) at the end of every range session. It makes barrel cleaning a lot easier.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.