1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have mentioned that I was going to perform some upgrades to my .45 CBOB and I wanted to report on the progress to date. I had the lock up issues early on (first 100 rounds) but have worked (and shot) through them. The next 750 rounds have been flawless when using Wilson mags. I also mentioned that the trigger on my CBOB was bad (really bad) so I swapped out the hammer, sear and disconnector (and springs) for a Cylinder and Slide Tactical II kit. I hated the black hammer on the 08 model and had some fear of breakage so that, combined with a need for an improved trigger pull forced a need for a change. Results are spectacular! The trigger is perfect and breaks clean. At the same time I changed the trigger to a long solid C&S piece that looks (to me) more correct on a commander sized 1911 used for carry (personal preference). Upon reassembly, the thumb safety required a minor re fit to work smoothly. Fortunately it was a steel off change and was accomplished with a few file strokes following a mark up with a blue Sharpie. I am not a gunsmith by any stetch but I am a mechanical engineer with quite a bit of machine work in my past so these kinds of things don't really scare me and I enjoy the heck out of it. After performing all safety checks (dozens of times), I have positive (click) engagement and somewhat stiff dissengagement of the thumb safety coupled with the perfect trigger. While it was apart, I also swapped out the MSH for an Ed Brown chainlink model. Not sure it affords any better grip but the look is "cool". Here are a couple of pix ...

Wish I had the photo skills of some of you guys ...

Next move is an EGW bevel bushing which will get ordered today and a new grip safety that I can fit to stop the rattle in the poorly fit stock unit. When I install the new bushing I will face off the barrel so it is flush and re-chamfer the bore.

Grips are slim VZs and holster is a Sparks Summer Special II.

Love this forum. Love this pistol. Can't wait for the 2010 models to become available.

·
Registered
230 Posts
You can work on my Bob anytime!

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
The black VZ's look real nice on your CBOB and solid triggers are my favorite. Your CBOB is nicely done sir. Add a flush magazine, and I'd say she's close to perfect.

Wes

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
looks like a nice job to me, I think that is really something that so many of you folks can do allot of your own work to your weapons. because mine is for carry I would not myself attempt to do my own work as my CCW instructor said that in the event of using your weapon in defense you might have allot of explaining to do to a jury:eek:. but that aside I do not have the experience to do it.:(

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
Very close to Perfect, would be Perfect if it was mine.........:biglaugh:

Very Nice Mods........

Clyde

·
Premium Member
6,669 Posts
Well done.

I used a grip safety from STI and it fit perfectly. Rattle be gone.

Enjoy,
Bob

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The black VZ's look real nice on your CBOB and solid triggers are my favorite. Your CBOB is nicely done sir. Add a flush magazine, and I'd say she's close to perfect.

Wes
Yeh, I like the flush mags too but the CMCs I have are giving me trouble with feeding the last round with hollowpoints. The Wilson's have been 100% so I'm gonna stick with them. Anybody know if they make a flush fit 47D with the polymer follower?

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice job!
Have you modded other 1911's?
I am a tinkerer. I have done a lot of work on competition shotguns, ARs, Glocks ... including building a compensated Open Class G17 (please, don't hate me) and a couple of other 1911s ... a SIG, a Colt and in due time, my DW SSC .40.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Very CLASSY look to it!!! You have done a great job finishing off the CBOB to set it apart from any other CBOB!!!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Thanks for the pics..Now I can see the EB housing you picked has the same profile as the smooth one..I notice from other pics that the checkered one has more of a corner or heel rather than the nice sweeping curve of the stock housing..I wish they were all the same because I'd like checkered to match the front...At least I know your choice works if I want to fancy it up a bit too...
The pics on the EB site/housings are worthless with no detail...Nice job on gun and pics...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts