1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, not my first report, but definitely my happiest.
This is the 5th time to the range with this gun -

1st time - Seized on second mag and used a rubber mallot to free the slide. Marvel Mystery oil. 20 rounds
2nd time - Seized, but I could slam it home with my hand. Sentry Solutions dry lube and MMO. 100 rounds
3rd time - Every other round would fail to go into battery by about a quarter inch. Mobil1. 100 rounds
4th time - One round per mag would fail to go into battery. Mobil1. 100 rounds
Today - No failures of any kind! FP-10 200 rounds

Now, it could be because I've put over 500 rounds through the gun, or, that I've lapped the rails, but that was done between the 1st and 2nd outings. Or, it could be the lube.

Today I fired WW 230 FMJ, 200gr handloads, Speer Gold Dots, and a mixture of a bunch of crap I had laying around. Other than I need to increase the powder in my handloads a bit, they ejected into my face, nothing went wrong, nothing!

Finally time to put it into carry rotation.

Thanks for all the help. I honestly believe it was a lube issue and I could have saved myself a lot of hassle by just using FP-10 in the first place. I didn't know.

Ken

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
Glad we could help you out, especially happy you didn't have no problems with your DW..............

Clyde

·
Registered
59 Posts
Good report and thanks for the Info! Glad to hear she's running for you now. Good comparison of the different types of lube you where using.

My CBOB should have arrived at Dan Wesson for repair or whatever you call it. It's not really broke, but it doesn't shoot either. :(

I'm going to order some FP-10 today so I have it when she comes back. I tried to use M-Pro 7, but she locked up smooth on the second round from the third mag. Oh well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Glad you got that shooting right. It's probably a combination of the lube and the break-in. FP10 is some slick stuff. So is Miltec, which is another favored lube.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pretty much. I spread it on the slide and frame rails, barrel, barrel bushing, barrel hood, slide stop, disconnector, barrel link, recoil spring plug, recoil spring, recoil spring guide, and the inside of the slide. I wasn't messing around this time!

Now I have to figure out how much to use since I believe the break-in period is completed. I used to go by the adage, "If you can see it, it's too much." I'm not sure about that any more.

Anyone have suggestions?

Ken

1 - 6 of 6 Posts