1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a beautiful Dan Wesson CBOB yesterday. Taking it apart I noticed it was very hard to pull the slide from the frame. I thought at first it was a tight slide to frame fit but when I put it back together without the barrel noticed that while it was a very close fit (The closest I've seen in a 1911) but was relatively easy to slide on and off. Then I noticed that the barrel locking lugs showed a trace of rub marks, and the inside of the slide lugs do too. I'm guessing that this will correct itself. The barrel link looks correct. Before shooting it I thought I'd see what the general opinion of whether this is possibly something to be concerned about first. Thanks,
Glen

·
Premium Member
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To anyone who wondered but didn't venture an opinion. Today I looked it over again. It appears that the barrel link gets jammed over center in the milled groove in the frame, it is very subtle unless it gets jammed. Once it gets jammed bad it takes a knock at the rear of the slide to get it to go over center far enough to release the slide. While this won't likely happen if the frame and slide are tilted barrel down before trying to slide the slide off it may happen again, and once more may be enough to damage the link pin. I expect I should mill the recess another .010" deeper. Has anyone else had this problem. Thanks for any responses.
Glen

·
Premium Member
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, rethinking this again, but I feel like I'm talking to myself, (Is that really indicative of mental problems?) I looked up the specs on 1911's for the groove, checked my Colt, it was over spec (But within tolerance) by about 4 thousandths, then checked the new gun, it was just within tolerance, about 9 thousandths deeper than spec. The specification allows + or - .010" on depth.
Now it's back to being a mystery, though the link definitely was jammed when the slide wouldn't move.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts