1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CCI 22 LR standard velocity loads are generally the default load for my Camden High Standard Super Trophy, as these older pistols are constructed from carbon steel and high velocity rounds can crack the frame. Anyway, I was in my local urban large gun store the other day, and noticed that they had 200 count CCI SV white boxes labeled as I described in the title: "Factory Seconds." My basic question is if any of you have any idea what these are like and exactly what the "Factory Seconds" means, i.e. are they manufactured loads with "mild" variation, or are they really reloads? In which case, I've always wondered about reloading rimfire cartridges, since there'd be a firing pin indentation which seems like it could be an issue to me. The other, obvious reason for the question is that at this gun store, they're half the price of the regular CCI SV loads that come in the plastic 100 count containers, though I've gotten my CCI SV through an on-line supplier in the past which come in the 50 count cardboard boxes and are a bit less than in the plastic containers.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I can't imagine that an ammo company when sell "seconds" unless it is a cosmetic defect only
Ditto. The problem has to be merely cosmetic. And if they're made by CCI they're likely good ammo.

·
Registered
22,874 Posts
Some poster made another reference to these a while back.

But if I remember correctly they purchased 5,000 of them and they were packed loose instead of the way that they normally come.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But if I remember correctly they purchased 5,000 of them and they were packed loose instead of the way that they normally come.
Yes, I think that's correct--I didn't shake the boxes, but it seems that they are loose bulk packed--that's OK with me--that's why the loads in the nice 100-pack plastic containers are higher than in the cardboard containers. Loose bulk packing is OK with me.

·
Registered
22,874 Posts
If I came across some at a good savings.

I would buy a box or two. I would then try them, and if I had no issues. I would not hesitate to pick up a bunch of them.

·
Registered
499 Posts
'factory seconds', could mean anything.

wrong powder, not enough, too much, none
(velocity out of spec)

goofed up bullets ... wrong alloy, center of gravity problems

problems with the primer reliability
brass problems, dimensionally out of spec, mismarked,etc

·
Registered
3 Posts
CCI Factory Seconds

To answer your question from 2011...…. We received a few pallets of these in Alaska's interior back then. The local hardware stores that sold guns and the Ft Wainwright and Eielson AFB Exchanges got a pallet each too. They were distributed by W. R. Grace out of Anchorage. I talked with a representative from Grace. CCI standards for these match rounds are .28" groups and no larger...…. and these Seconds did not pass testing they were .02" too large! I know, how horrible! They were sold in yellow bulk packed plastic boxes of 200rds for $11.99 a box. I got Lot:K11P07. The UPC label 1-007668310070-9

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
As far as the OP’s question about reloading 22......are ya nuts??:biglaugh:
Primer compound would be a nightmare....anyway, some say 9mm isn’t worth it, that certainly isn’t!
Thanks Glacier for the info...I have not seen them yet, but I’ll give them a run.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I am not going to reload any rim fire. The shellholder would have a charged case & you'd possibly put pressure on the rim. No thanks!

·
Banned
368 Posts
I would NEVER buy ANYTHING labeled as FACTORY SECOND in terms of rimfire ammunition.

And I sure as hell would never buy something labeled as factory second in a box with a CCI label on it.

I have 70 year old Russian ammunition that I consider to be higher quality then "factory first" rimfire from CCI.

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Oh C’mon Shaver, CCI is some of the best stuff available at that price point.
It beats the hell out of “Thunderbolt”, “Lightning”, “Bucket-O-Bullets” and a whole bunch of other cheap junk rounds. Even the old copper washed Winchester X-Pert that used to be good is crap.
We are not comparing CCI to Eley Tenex, but it works good!

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
I am not going to reload any rim fire. The shellholder would have a charged case & you'd possibly put pressure on the rim. No thanks!
Yeah, no way!
Besides, how many of us don’t have 2 generations worth rat holed by now anyway?? My kids won’t have to worry about buying any!!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Saw and copied this from another forum where the OP asked the same question via email to CCI directly:

CCI's e-mail response.

CCI seconds are rounds that do not meet our specifications for misfire rate, accuracy or velocity. These are rounds of ammunition that are sold on the seconds market at discounted prices. These rounds are still safe to shoot they just do not meet print specifications for quality and reliability.

·
Registered
22,874 Posts
At least they are being aboveboard about it.

Saw and copied this from another forum where the OP asked the same question via email to CCI directly:
A lot of these ammo makers would just package these rounds up with everything else and ship it out as premium ammo.

·
Banned
368 Posts
Id NEVER trust "seconds" from CCI. When I got a case of 22long ammo from them, they felt that 30% of the ammunition needing 3 or 4 firing pin strikes on different parts of the rim to ignite was acceptable. They also felt that the 1 in 5 that failed 4 firing pin strikes, was acceptable.

They also felt that bench resting the rifle, and at a range of 20 yards, having the bullet shoot 2 - 4 times at zero, then suddenly hitting 6 inches low was also acceptable.

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Are you saying those results are from the “seconds”?
Or, off the shelf standard velocity?
I have never had an issue with any of their ammo (or primers), although I have not tried their seconds. For what it’s worth, I have shot several bricks of CCI Blazer 22’s and was pleased with their performance in auto loaders.

·
Banned
368 Posts
Are you saying those results are from the “seconds”?
Or, off the shelf standard velocity?
I have never had an issue with any of their ammo (or primers), although I have not tried their seconds. For what it’s worth, I have shot several bricks of CCI Blazer 22’s and was pleased with their performance in auto loaders.
those results came from regular standard product youll find any shelf in America. Merely bought a case or two of fresh production that year. and CCI people felt that was acceptable.

They even had me send them a 100 round tray of unfired cartridges and save up an entire 100 round tray of cartridges that wouldn't fire on the first try.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts