1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the verge of ordering a case of CCI Blazer ammo in .45acp. I was gonna use it to shoot a couple of IDPA matches at a local range to get the feel of competing. I'm a novice so, shooting match ammo is not necessary for me at the moment. Anyone ever use Blazer ammo? Is it gun friendly? I doubt if it's hard on the gun, but could use some advice. Natchez sells it for about just over 8 bucks a box (including shipping) and I thought it would be somethig decent to shoot at mass quantities until I get to my new home and get a reloader.
(I also have plenty of brass, so storing more brass is not an issue)

David

·
Registered
645 Posts
dsonyay -

I buy the CCI Blazer .45 ACP in 230 gr. FMJ from time to time because of the "low cost". It works just fine but is about the dirtiest stuff I have ever used. It's like shooting "black powder" at a Cowboy Action Event. I don't mind it being soo dirty because I clean my guns after every practice session. For only a dollar more per box you can get the S&B ammo that is much cleaner and the brass is reloadable.

MadDog

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I just found a local source that sells at great prices, esp in volume. I'm going to give them a call. I'd prefer buying locally vice the web. But I appreciate all the leads.

David

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hello fellow virginian, could you let me know your source? I live in Richmond, and am always interested in cheap ammo.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sure, that would be The Armory in VA Beach.
5313 Indian River Rd Virginia Beach, VA (757) 424-1617

David

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I don't think the issue is whether the ammo is gun friendly as much as whether or not the gun is ammo friendly to that particular brand. I have shot a lot of Blazer .45, several thousand rounds, and have had 4 problems, two out of round-rounds and two that took a strong primer strike and did not fire. I consider Blazer to be great practice ammo but refuse to carry it as a defensive ammo because of the 4 problems. Statistically, the 4 problems are not an issue, but it bothered me.

I actually have found UMC and S&B to be dirtier than Blazer. The cleanest practice ammo I have found is Fiocchi.

The cheapest prices I have found for .45 Blazer is from www.natchezss.com when the stuff is on sale. For me, there is $22 of shipping and handling over the price. It comes out to about $172 delivered the last time I ordered (1000 rounds).

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great info. They are out at the moment and I'm going to try to watch their website for when they get a fresh shipment. They even have the Blazer on sale at the moment.

David

·
Registered
347 Posts
I liked the 200grSWC which they don't make anymore. If you use Blazer at any public range, plan on policing all of your own empties because no one else will scrounge the cases. If you are even thinking of reloading, Blazer is a rather expensive choice. The brass from regular ammo is worth at least 4-5 cents a round as "once fired" - that's $40-$50 a case. Blazer is not usually $40-$50 cheaper than S&B or other similar choices.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
4-5 cents a case for brass? No kidding? We seem short of buyers here in North Texas. I would be thrilled to find such a buying source. Until then, Blazer is still cheaper. As for picking up all of my own spent casings, that is what I do anyway, regardless of the caliber or whether the casings are brass, aluminum, steel, or (mostly) plastic.

For those of you interested in the brass, my reloading pals thought highly of me for shooting Fiocchi which apparently leaves the brass fairly clean and reloads well for several times.

·
Registered
347 Posts
$40-$50 per 1000 is what I recall Dillon selling "once fired" 45ACP for when they had it a few years ago. New is more like $90/1000 before you get it delivered.

Of course it only matters if you reload.

I always thought Blazer shot OK in my guns, it was accurate and reasonably clean. I haven't bought any in several years. So I don't know what they are making now.

[This message has been edited by DBR (edited 12-06-2001).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts