1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
just found several 100s of once-fired CCI brass cases in my stash...are they good quality cases or are they of the kind better used in matches (I'm not talking top-level matches here...for the Italian Championship matches I use fresh Winchester or Federal brass...still can't hit a lake standing on the bottom but at least the cases are something I won't have to worry about:p)and left on the ground?
TIA
Manny

·
Registered
720 Posts
I've reloaded 1,000s of them over the last 5 or 6 years - and buy the Blazer Brass ammo as a way to restock my brass bin - no problems to date.

JeffVN

·
Registered
170 Posts
I dont have any problems reloading them (1000), but they do have a larger flash hole.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot for the replies so far guys :) !
I do have noticed that the flash hole is a tad larger than on other brands...is it a con?
Further...I've found I've also got cases which are stamped "Speer" and which look 100% identical(same head,same brass,same flash hole) to the CCIs...just a case of what in the automotive world is known as "Brand engeneering"?I.e. the VERY same product but with a different name?
Thank you for reading
Manny

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am not having much luck with my once-fired CCI Blazer Brass in .45 auto. About 15% will set back with double-thumb pressure using various plated and jacketed bullets. They are probably mixed lots so do not know if I have a bad lot intermixed or not. My normal standard of IMI and Starline work great, along with Federal in .40 S&W. I have set aside the 1000 CCI as I got tired of messing with them.

Last night as I was pulling bullets from various OEM cartridges I have and documenting powder charges, when I pulled a bullet from the Blazer Brass 230, the bullet pulled out very easily using the RCBS puller. When pulling bullets form Double Tap and IMI, the bullets were difficultto get out. And from other manufacturers they were somewhere between the two extremes.

From my limited experience, the CCI brass I have does not have sufficient neck tension due to soft brass. It is MUCH easier for me to size and bell CCI brass vs. any others I have tried.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am not having much luck with my once-fired CCI Blazer Brass in .45 auto. About 15% will set back with double-thumb pressure using various plated and jacketed bullets. They are probably mixed lots so do not know if I have a bad lot intermixed or not. My normal standard of IMI and Starline work great, along with Federal in .40 S&W. I have set aside the 1000 CCI as I got tired of messing with them.

Last night as I was pulling bullets from various OEM cartridges I have and documenting powder charges, when I pulled a bullet from the Blazer Brass 230, the bullet pulled out very easily using the RCBS puller. When pulling bullets form Double Tap and IMI, the bullets were difficultto get out. And from other manufacturers they were somewhere between the two extremes.

From my limited experience, the CCI brass I have does not have sufficient neck tension due to soft brass. It is MUCH easier for me to size and bell CCI brass vs. any others I have tried.

Hi Sdefender,
I've loaded 250 cartridges using CCI brass and it does look soft and with no too high a tension to retain the bullet...lead T68s in my case!
Anyway..gonna shoot them this afternoon during my practice and see how they behave!
Cheers
Manny

1 - 8 of 8 Posts