1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always had a passion for the 1911, but I have strayed off the path, this last few years, trying the "modern", "better" pistols. Well, I am not impressed and have not found any, (and I shot literally over a thousand) that is better than a 4" 1911. Now the rub, I am going back to the platform and that is it, selling everything else. I use to love kimber, but had a period where they was having problem's, springfield just had a major recall. I am wanting a 4" no less barrel in a reliable concealed carry pistol, in .45 acp, in your humble opinion's for those whom shot them, where would you rank these;
Wilson
Detonic
STI
Les BAer
Dan Wesson
Colt
Smith and Wesson
Ruger

·
Registered
618 Posts
My Bill Wilson Carry is an amazingly well made, reliable, accurate, shootable pistol. It is my current EDC. You could definitely do worse, and it'd be awfully hard to do better.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have always had a passion for the 1911, but I have strayed off the path, this last few years, trying the "modern", "better" pistols. Well, I am not impressed and have not found any, (and I shot literally over a thousand) that is better than a 4" 1911. Now the rub, I am going back to the platform and that is it, selling everything else. I use to love kimber, but had a period where they was having problem's, springfield just had a major recall. I am wanting a 4" no less barrel in a reliable concealed carry pistol, in .45 acp, in your humble opinion's for those whom shot them, where would you rank these;
Wilson
Detonic
STI
Les BAer
Dan Wesson
Colt
Smith and Wesson
Ruger
Springfield's recall was only on the XDS wasn't it? I love the XD service and XDsc. Never had any sort of problem with either and never a malfunction of any kind.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Of the brands you listed, one could buy any three of the others on the list for what ONE Wilson costs(with the possible exception of Baer). Personally, for value for dollar spent, I'd pick STI, Colt, as a mid-price range option.

Bob

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Jack brings up a valid point. The Springfield recall was only for the XDs. No issues with their 1911's. As for the guns on your list, they would all serve you well, but I'd go Colt.

·
Banned
3,089 Posts
Wilson

Baer
Dan Wesson

Colt

STI
Smith
Ruger
Detonic

One would think if you have shot over ONE THOUSAND different guns in the past few years, you'd know exactly what you wanted.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I'll make things easier for you.

Only Wilson and STI make 4" 1911s of the list you gave me.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
If I were shopping for a 1911 I'd look at Guncrafter. But I'm happy with my Colts, OM frame and Commander slide for me...

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
You have to find what suits you but for me it is a Wilson CQB Compact Lightweight.

·
Banned
170 Posts
I`d choose Springer, ya I know it`s not on your list but that`s my pick. In fact I`m in the process of looking to purchase a SA Loaded target. And I'm may buy it in 9mm. Colt would be my second choice. Wilsons are over priced now, Ihad one back when I was shooting a lot but $5000 for one now, they can keep em. I have a Ruger Commander now, not a bad gun for the money. Jim

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Dan Wesson then a Kimber compact, oh you don't want a Kimber. I guess it's Dan Wesson. I'd really like to have a Baer but don't so I really can't comment on them.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Get a wilson stealth. The flange barrel tames recoil. It's my favorite concealed carry so far. In a milt sparks vm2 you forget it's there once you get used to it.

·
Super Moderator
14,987 Posts
My personal choice of the ones you listed is a Wilson. If you can afford one, they have really superb customer service, will stand behind their product regardless of how many times the firearm has changed ownership, and are really pretty much at the top of their game. If you shoot a Wilson (maybe you have a friend who has one that would let you shoot it) you will discover why they are one of the more popular semi-custom makers. Just rack the slide a few times - it feels like it is on roller bearings.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts