1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like Bob's new model picture thread was hijacked.

I wanted to start a new one perhaps actually discussing the NEW PISTOLS.

First of all major kudos to Bob for building a couple of models that we asked him to do. Any other mfgs. paying attention out there?

The only complaint I have with them is the external extractors. I can't abide them. Can we get them with internal extractors? If so I'll take one of each in 10mm and one of each in 45acp.

I don't care for the comp. grip safeties or the sights,but those are easy fixes. :D

Thanks again Bob Serva and the folks at Dan Wesson.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Thanks for starting a clean thread on this, I'd like to see more discussion of the new guns myself.

Hopefully DW will follow up the 4.25" Patriots with other models with internal extractors to give people choices. I don't have a problem with them myself, but I know some people do. I guess I am used to them from my Glock and other guns I have had.

I was so relieved to see no FCS and no bells and whistles that I didn't even think about the extractor. How sturdy is the pin that retains the extractor, have any Patriot owners had problems with them? What are they like to disassemble, hammer and punch time I assume?

I can't wait to see these in the gun stores. I think that they are going to be DWs big seller, the models that get them some good attention, both in the comic books and word of mouth.

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
A few observations:

First, you can tell that the guns were prepped for the photo shoot in a hurry. Of course, there is the considerable gap at the top of the CCO mainspring housing. Phil has already told us that this MSH was hurredly machined just for the photos, and that the production version would be better-fit. Further, take a look at the back, lower edges of the rosewood grip panels on the bob-tail. You can see that the wood was burned as the std. grip panels were sanded down using a belt sander. I'm certain this will also be rectified on the actual production version. Next, notice that the grip safety on the bob-tail appears in the nearly fully-depressed position. Looks as though the msh on that model is also not quite finished. Also notice both blued and SS ejectors on the different guns. Would like to know who's ejector will be used on each.

Would really like to see some better close-ups of the grip safeties, particularly their fit/blend with the frame tangs.

Notice the fit of the slide ways to frame rails, as evidenced at the rear of the pistols. Excellent. Also note the mating of the rear of the slide to the rear of the frame at the rails. Again, excellent. Standard CMC rosewood grips and std. CMC hammers evident on both. Assume the thumb safeties to be std. CMC parts also, but hard to see on the pics. All SS pins used as best I can see.

Edited for spelling, as usual...

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Any chance of either of these being offered in a lightweight model? I would buy either one if it came with a ltwt alloy frame. .45, 9mm, 10mm... Whatever you've got.

·
Registered
281 Posts
potthawg said:

The only complaint I have with them is the external extractors. I can't abide them. Can we get them with internal extractors?
I'm with ya but, IMO, all signs point to NO.

First the RZ's caused some problems. Then the move away from the lower-line guns which eliminates all the remaining internals except the RZ, which may well fall by the wayside when some of the new 10mm models are intrduced. Last and not least are some comments on the DW Direct Gunbroker ads which describe the external extractor as "flawless". It just seems to me that DW's future course in this regard is well telegraphed.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Parker Dean

I sure hope that you're wrong about internal extractors.
Those new models look great to me and are very tempting.

It's amazing to me that Bob is still willing to build us what we suggest here on the DW page.

This is just like Burger King. :D

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: For ease of reference, here's the pics again...

Thanks for moving those pics over here Diver.

They are pretty aren't they?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
As I posted in the original thread, before taking part in its high-jacking (due to a house mouse's coarse behavior).... I don't care for the sights or beavertails, but especially dislike the exteranl extractors, and won't consider buying a 1911 outfitted with one, be they DW, Sig, S&W or Kimber.

Change to an internal, and I'd give 'em a second look though, since the goofy express sights and beavertail are an easy change.

I can find Colt's NRM stainless Commander for under $600, and do the sight cuts/beavertail myself, but it would be nice to have a series 70 style commander with that already done... expecially if available in calibers other than .45! :D

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
dpcdiver wrote:
To you new guys...keep asking questions.
I'm always happy to show my ignorance for a good cause! I read the descriptions in Bob's original post but didn't know what they meant. I don't speak the Lingua 1911 too well. What sizes are these guns? How do they differ from the Patriot?

I think the one with the square grip has a 4.25" barrel. Is its grip the same size as a Patriot?

What about the other one? Does it have a 5" barrel? It is really a bobtailed Patriot?

What else is different about these guns?

Larry

·
Registered
280 Posts
XES...

...you beat me to it.

Anyone care to enlighten me on the differences between the two and a "full-size"?

Even though I've owned a Colt CCO in the past, I'm not familiar with the Bobtail modification version.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Banned
5,947 Posts
The two pistols pictured both have a 4.25 inch Commander barrel. The pistol with the square grip has an Officer sized frame. The pistol with the rear corner of the grip shaved off has a Commander sized frame (full grip).

The smaller of the two would be in the Colt Concealed Carry Officer (CCO) category.

The larger of the two would be in the Colt Commander category.

The full size Patriot (not pictured) is in the Colt Gov't category (5" barrel, full size grip which is also the same as a Commander grip).

Regards,
Sam

·
Banned
5,947 Posts
As Potthawg has already pointed out, the possible lack of an internal extractor offering has also somewhat cooled my jets. Maybe when I actually see the new DWs in the flesh I'll change my opinion. One thing I would suggest, if DW is going to use carbon steel ejectors (blued), satin nickel plate them like Colt has done in the past to get a near match to the stainless. I'm not too hot on little blue parts on stainless pistols. But, if I had to, I could live with them.

I can live with the XS sights now that I know that they are using real Trijicon night sight inserts. They'll last a long time.

Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I will probably hate myself for posting this - but here goes.... I'm a real traditionalist, and thought I'd only buy a 1911 with internal extractors (which is all I have ever owned). But - the more I look at the pics - I'm not finding the external extractors bother me all that much on these two???!!!

I still like the Bob-tail version as my "preference", especially for a CCW and 10mm - dual tone (not a blued frame on a SS slide, but rather the more common SS/hard chromed frame with a blued slide). I'd like to see some "options" as well, knowing both the price & wait time would increase - such as GS checkering, undercut trigger guard, perhaps a "grip" option (traditional/slim and type of wood), etc...

Other comments - fit of the GS, blued small parts of SS guns, etc. - I agree with as well....

(BTW: Thanks Potthawg and Diver for moving this into a new thread with the pics!!!)

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
As long as JD is commenting....

I do not like the external extractor on a 1911, also I have given up on Stainless steel.

I know that both are practical and good, but I just do not like the "look" of them. I guess I can now see why some of you all did not like front cocking serrations or FLGR's.

Sorry to say I am going to have to pass on this one even though it is a 10mm. No more stainless for me (unless it is an automag or something really unique).

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Hey Peter and all...

OK - here is roughly what they would look like with an internal extractor...? I did this as my own "sanity check" - but since.. :)

Awww - nevermind... ;) Here is the pic...

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
But they are still STAINLESS!

Can't good blued steel guns be made any more or has the EPA killed the industry because of the environmental issues?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am glad to see the CCO in 10mm. I will be placing an order for one.

I was going to order a Kramer IWB#3 for a S&W 1076...my Christmas present from my wife. This new DW puts a wrench in that plan. I would prefer to use a CCO as a carry gun vs. the S&W.

My question, which gun does the CCO match on the Kramer gun list??

COLT 1903 Pocket (380,.32) 3.75"
COLT Mustang, Mustang Plus Two
COLT Pony
COLT .380 Government Model
COLT Pocket 9
COLT Officer's ACP
COLT Defender
COLT Commander
COLT Double Eagle 3-1/2",4-1/4",5"
COLT Government Model .45 ACP***
COLT Combat Elite & Delta Elite
COLT Gold Cup
COLT 2000

I am assuming the Commander would be the one, but I am not quite the Colt fan as some on the board, just a 10mm fan.

I guess the other question would be, are the DW guns the same dimensions in the various calibers??

·
Premium Member
6,641 Posts
Those two pistols are real honeys.

I have no beef with the external extractor at all. It was one of JMB's fixes of the original design and he used it in the High Power. That set-up has worked for quite a while now.

I really do like the CCO style.

Bob

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.