1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My CCO seems to have a problem feeding my lead round nose reloads. The round feeds partially, but gets jammed with the slide liking about 1/2" from going into battery. When this happens, the slide completely locks up. It won't move back or forward at all. It's just stuck with a live round partially chambered.

It takes about 5 or 6 minutes of me wiggling the slide and jiggling the gun sideways and eventually it will break free and eject the round. I've tried all kinds of different mags and it does the same thing. I can shoot the same reloads in my other full size guns without any problems. Any idea what the problem is? The CCO shoots my SWC reloads without any problems.

·
Registered
187 Posts
200 gr S&G type wadcutter? And is is locking up like this?

For me, I find I have to load 200 SWC near maximum OAL or I get this type of jam. If loaded shorter, the case (rather than bullet shoulder) hits the top of the chamber and locks up pistol tight.

·
Premium Member
6,670 Posts
What type of follower in the mags?
It could be presenting the round at such an angle that the softball wants to stick.

How sharp is the edge on the chamber mouth? If it is real sharp you may want to soften it just a tad.

Bob

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Various followers. No rhyme or reason.

The slide is almost into battery, but not quite. You cannot see any of the round that is being feed. And when it locks up, it's tight.

·
Registered
784 Posts
have you tried taking the barrel out and doing the plunk test to make sure the rounds will drop in the chamber freely.I have seen where the crimp can be too much on soft lead and cause it(the bullet)to bulge up a little just above the brass.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haven't tried the pluck test. But my crimp is the same on the SWC reloads that feed just fine.

Brass looks normal when I finally clear the jam.

·
Registered
717 Posts
How tight is the extractor? If it's real tight I would try to adjust it out a little. Sounds like it's not allowing the the round to roll up underneath it.

·
Premium Member
2,366 Posts
Oly,
What is the overall length on your rounds? They might be a touch too long preventing them from transitioning from the ramp to the chamber. The MB Softball is a little blunt in the ogive. I set mine to no more than 1.260 OAL, the plunk test should help you figure it out.

Bill

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
We need to understand the exact stopping point. It sounds like it is either stopping going under the extractor or stopping going into the chamber the last 1/16" or so.

Going under the extractor could be extractor relief angles not cut enough, extractor tension high, or feed speed low due to recoil spring tired or OAL too long. I think my softball loads are 1.230".

Going in the chamber could be round in front of extractor, bullet bulge, crimp bulge, feed to slow to lock up barrel, breechface roughness....

Or there could be some other over riding issue with the round like loaded too light or too heavy. Since this is a Dan Wesson, I would get a similar factory hardball round and tell us every difference you can measure. I would measue 10 of each.
Base dia, max dia in bullet area, crimp dia, case length, OAL, OAL using a 40S&W case as an ogive finder, rim thickness...also plunk test. With the plunk test measure case depth relative to barrel hood.

For each measurement, measure 3 times in 3 locations to be sure it is right an take the avg measurement. Note any anomolies.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts