1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished my concealed carry class. For the practical portion I brought my comped Colt 1911 race gun. It was just a pleasure to shoot and it ran like a scalded dog. BUT it is not practical to carry. :rock:

I am willing to spend $2,000 total on a new 1911 and will consider a Glock. I am looking at several different manufacturers and models. Give me some recommendations backed up by experience so I can start the search. :scratch:

I already have a Browning Hi-Power in 9mm that I haven't had a chance to shoot yet, but I am considering it as an alternative.

Thanks much

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
With your budget I would consider a Baer UTC. Going down in price from there, Dan Wesson, STI, Colt and SIG.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Start by going to your biggest local gun store (or two); looking and holding as many pistols as possible, find a few that fit your hand and feel good. Next research your picks, next are you: large, big, small or thin as this will more than likely impact your decision on, full size, compact/officer size, or Ultra (I hear the groans), if your hands are large an Ultra may not work and similar if your hands are small a full size may not fit.

Now look at you price point - BUT - somewhere add in a QUALITY HOLSTER and BELT (quality is not cheap and you want quality in both holster and belt). I won't even get into IWB or OWB. Somewhere along the line you need to decide if new or used is the way to go. Used you could find a Colt Gold Cup, WC, STI, SIG, or a multitude of other many fine 1911 .45 ACPs pistols available. New, much more is available but at a higher price point. Take your time - do not buy the first pistol you see!

Enjoy the hunt, best of luck. For me fit and feel in my hand is everything! (No, LOL, I have no Glocks, they just don't feel good in my hand but that's just me and plenty of people like them.) Disclaimer: I own Colt, Kimber, Wilson Combat (s) 1911s in .45 ACP and a variety of revolvers with Ruger topping out that grouping.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I prefer Government size. Today I prefer my Les Baer Custom Carry. I have acquired a Colt CCG and I am a few hundred rounds and a few more hours of holster drills before I begin to carry it. Price range for those two is $850 to $1800. Love them both. Baer is WAAAY better in the dehorn department than the Colt, but you stop noticing it after shooting the Colt a few times.

When I started in 1911's I was convinced I needed at least a Baer. Now I think it's the grip fit and the sights that matter most, as long as it is reliable.

leave $300 of your budget for a gun belt, holster, and mag pouch. You could spend more for these things, but you probably shouldnt spend much less. $180 minimum, just by adding up the cost of my most inexpensive belt, holster, and mag pouch that I think are very good. Oh, and don't forget time! Time to practice with it and time for the carry gear to arrive. 4 months for some!

Edit: both to the above guns were good to go right out of the box. However, I like to test a carry gun with different ammo and different drills. its fun, and practical.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I have a few options to choose from but usually grab a Springfield RO Compact - it pairs very well with a Tucker belt and Milt Sparks Criterion IWB holster for me.

All above are great suggestions as well.

Have you decided on size? Gov't? Commander? Officer? CCO?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I carry one of following 1951 Commander in 9mm , LTW Commander 45acp, Colt officer 45 and a Colt Defender . I usually carry each a week at a time. I have a Dan Wesson CBOB , and couple 5' Government I never carry the 5" When I sit they bottom on chair booth and push up . Commander doesn't do that. I never carry the DW I really like my Colts better.

No matter what you carry a good holster and belt is a must. I only carry leather holsters Most made by UBGholsters. and I prefer IWB

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
All are very good choices for you. Now you will have to find what you will work for you.
I have a Browning Hi Power 9mm, It's reliable and accurate. If i could carry, (cannot in the Islands) i would carry it. Right now it's my Home SD Gun. When i move, it will be my carry gun, after i complete my CCW Course as well.
Like i remarked earlier you will be able to find what works for you, a lot of good options!!
Best of luck in your search, and enjoy.
Scott

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
If you're going to carry a 1911, for me, I prefer one of the lightweight commander size models with a bobtail. This is light, "short", and conceals well with the bobtail, but offers a full grip and 8+1 rounds. For your price, you could get a Springfield LWCO and send it to their Custom Shop for a few personal tweaks. If you're going striker fired (you brought up the Glock, not me ...), I love the M&Ps, particularly my 9c. FWIW, a full-size M&P9 is dimensionally about the same as a Colt Commander. The M&P 45c is also about the same size, but offers a short mag and then an extended 10 rounder on your hip (or add an extension for 13)!

As a previous member suggested, if you don't have one already a dedicated gun-belt and good holster is a must for comfortable CCW. I like A&G Gunleather for belts. Holsters ... well, that's like Pandora's box. If you need a quick turnaround and quality product at affordable options for both belt/holster, try Comp-Tac.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
DW VBOB in Duty Treat.

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
Start by going to your biggest local gun store (or two); looking and holding as many pistols as possible, find a few that fit your hand and feel good. Next research your picks, next are you: large, big, small or thin as this will more than likely impact your decision on, full size, compact/officer size, or Ultra (I hear the groans), if your hands are large an Ultra may not work and similar if your hands are small a full size may not fit.

Now look at you price point - BUT - somewhere add in a QUALITY HOLSTER and BELT (quality is not cheap and you want quality in both holster and belt). I won't even get into IWB or OWB. Somewhere along the line you need to decide if new or used is the way to go. Used you could find a Colt Gold Cup, WC, STI, SIG, or a multitude of other many fine 1911 .45 ACPs pistols available. New, much more is available but at a higher price point. Take your time - do not buy the first pistol you see!

Enjoy the hunt, best of luck. For me fit and feel in my hand is everything!
I agree with getting some hands on time(range time if rentals are offered), though for different reasons. Dimensionally, a 1911 grip is pretty much a 1911 grip; the Officers/Ultra frames are just a touch shorter, Unless you have hands like 20# hams, or dwarf hands, the size shouldn't matter much. Different grip panels (which are easy to swap out), different beavertails, arched vs flat mainspring housings or Bobtail frames will affect how the gun "feels" in the hand.

Weight, and to some extent, slide length, are the 2 biggest considerations for a 1911 carry gun for many. If the 1/2 of an inch of frame length matters for concealability, look at an Officers/Ultra, or a CCO. If weight, but not size, matters, perhaps an alloy framed Commander/4" gun. If neither are critical to you, a 5" steel gun may work...

Another consideration is body type and manner of dress. While I firmly believe that any adult within normal size and weight ranges can CC a full size 1911 IWB, it may be less comfortable for some. I'm 5'6"/145, and it doesn't bother me. Others may not like the weight, or the longer barrel...

Finally, how important is total concealment to you; what, if any, consequences are there if someone 'makes' you carrying? While I try to be discreet when CCing, for the most part, I don't worry too much if my T shirt shrunk in the wash and I print a little. IWB conceals much better than OWB... but at the cost of some comfort. If absolute, 100% concealment is a MUST, then waist carry is out, as are 1911s. A micro 9mm or .380 in a pocket is a better option.

Good advice on carry gear, figure you'll drop another $200+ on a good belt, holster, and magazine pouch- then decide the holster just isn't right, and get another....

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I'd suggest a Dan Wesson Guardian. It's a very nice pistol for the money, and at your price point you'd have enough left over to get a good holster, belt, extra magazines and some ammo.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I love shooting a 1911, but I prefer something else for EDC. My .45 of choice is a SIG P220 Carry with a DAK trigger. The Carry is about 3/4" shorter than the full-sized version, a little lighter, but with much better balance, IMO. The DAK hammer is full-time DA, but with half the trigger pull (6.5#) of a DA/SA or DAO model. It simplifies the manual of arms when re-holstering, and maintains a consistent trigger pull.

The DAK trigger has a short reset point for a quick double-tap, but I practice using it like a revolver - full stroke each time.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I have a Colt Wiley Clapp Government. If you venture to the Colt sub-forum, you will find plenty on the WC Govt.

Fit and finish is at custom level. Reliable, accurate, and a good buy.:rock:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Wow!

Thanks guys!

I currently wear a belt made by Bullhide Belts http://www.bullhidebelts.com/Black-Double-Prong-Basket-Weave-BullHide-Belt_p_362.html which I really like, so that aspect is covered. They have frequent sales and these are HEAVY DUTY belts.

The comp on my race gun adds an extra 1.25" and does work very well, but I am thinking of a 4.25" 1911 frame. I do have a Colt Talo CCG, But It is going to finishing school...err ivory grips, engraving, Colt Royal Blue refinishing, etc. :rolleyes:

Please keep the suggestions coming because I will have to make a 340 mile round trip to Denver, CO in order to look at a variety of guns.:eek:

I am going to practice after joining the local range. I belonged to another club, but never found the time to go as it was 60 miles round trip. I used to work in that town so it was easy to access.

I figure on spending about $2700 after all is said and done. Muscle memory and a great pistol helped me go through the course with flying colors after not shooting for over two years. If you have ever had traumatic rotor cuff surgery...you really don't know what you are missing! But I am back in the saddle again.

The place where I am most likely to carry? Church! I work in remote areas in the Rockies and really don't feel a need to carry at work.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
I just finished my concealed carry class. For the practical portion I brought my comped Colt 1911 race gun. It was just a pleasure to shoot and it ran like a scalded dog. BUT it is not practical to carry. :rock:

I am willing to spend $2,000 total on a new 1911 and will consider a Glock. I am looking at several different manufacturers and models. Give me some recommendations backed up by experience so I can start the search. :scratch:

I already have a Browning Hi-Power in 9mm that I haven't had a chance to shoot yet, but I am considering it as an alternative.

Thanks much
Lots of great guns for sale on 1911 Addicts.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
If your budget allows I'd say order a Springfield Custom Carry. Just a little more and you'll be abe to spec it the way you want.

If my budget allowed I'd order a Custom Carry Range Officer Compact, tritium front sighte with white outline plain black rear, slim magwell rounded, full thickness grips and short trigger.

Anyway you could go with whatever you want, within reason, and it would be yours, not some marketing guys, ideal gun.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts