1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction but does anyone know generally if a CCW permit allows you to carry other types of concealed weapons such as knives etc?

It would be crazy if you were allowed to carry a handgun but not a knife.

·
Registered
921 Posts
In MN, our carry permits are "permits to carry a pistol" which does not include knives or any other weapon.

·
Registered
26 Posts
5 years ago when I was taking my test for ccw,the instuctor had a table full of weapons that we could carry.Anything from knifes to brass kuncks and anything inbetween.This is ky very friendly ccw state.

·
Registered
953 Posts
In West Virginia, the permit states concealed pistol/revolver. We were instructed that the permit is good for nothing else.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Michigan: CCW is handgun only.

Though, it is legal to carry a single bladed knife up to 3" blade length.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Florida CCW is for anything that is considered a legal to carry weapon. Guns, knives etc. It is also legal to carry any other type legal weapon openly, other than a gun. Hence, it is legal to walk around (unlicensed) with a Broad sword or a cross-bow on your belt so long as it is carried openly. Freaky...

H

·
Registered
257 Posts
I think every one carries a knife......you dont need a permit for it. Maybe if your in kalifornia LOL. My CCW instructor is a cop and he says when he goes where guns are not allowed (off duty) he carries a big knife, I agree with that premise but I have always figured if its concealed no one should know you have it on...I dont take mine off for anybody.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
In Florida you can carry a "common Pocket Knife" concealed. That means opens in the traditional manner ie folder and is less than 4 inches in length. Anything that falls outside these parameters requires a CCW to carry concealed, or you must carry it openly. Switchblades are again legal in Florida but requires a CCW to carry legally.

H

·
Registered
427 Posts
In Idaho, it's anything except a shotgun or rifle. That is, you can conceal a shotgun or a rifle without a permit - if you're big enough ;)

"For the purposes of this section, a concealed weapon means
any dirk, dirk knife, bowie knife, dagger, pistol, revolver, or any other deadly or dangerous weapon. The provisions of this section shall not apply to any lawfully possessed shotgun or rifle."

Some of the exotic wierd stuff I've seen here is downright funny, all carried under the 'Concealed Weapon Permit' - someday I'll have to work up a joking tac vest that contains everything listed in this section.

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
rfurtkamp said:
Some of the exotic wierd stuff I've seen here is downright funny, all carried under the 'Concealed Weapon Permit' - someday I'll have to work up a joking tac vest that contains everything listed in this section.
In addition to all the pistols and extra magazines and strange melee weapons make sure there is at least one laughably obsolescent ranged weapon like a throwing knife,shuriken, or small blowgun.

:biglaugh:

·
Registered
427 Posts
I was thinking crossbow, like the $30 ones you see that shoot plastic and metal-tipped "bolts". :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
mr_dove said:
This might vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction but does anyone know generally if a CCW permit allows you to carry other types of concealed weapons such as knives etc?

It would be crazy if you were allowed to carry a handgun but not a knife.
Here in Connecticut, the CCW is valid only for the carrying of handguns. At one time, any other "Weapon" required what was known as a dangerous weapons permit issued by and valid only in the individual towns.

This permit (Dangerous Weapon) however has gone the way of the DoDo and no longer exists. Therefore, it is illegal to carry any knife with a "Cutting Surface" over 4" in length and it does not matter wheter or not the blade is fixed or movable. However automatics (Switchblades) are legal to own but NOT to carry on your person.

Be Safe

Bryan S. Williams
Williams Associates Protective Services, LLC
www.wa-protective.com

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Colorado's is a Concealed HANDGUN permit. That's it.

No knives >3.5" blade can be concealed.

Bummer too, because I used to have some really nice 3.6" and 3.75" knives but I sold them. Just not worth the trouble.

Mike

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I believe according to North Dakota law there are two different concealed weapons permits. One for handguns and one for "deadly weapons" whatever that means.

Anyways if I got a concealed handgun permit I could carry a Desert Eagle .50 caliber in my wasteband, but if I had a cheap 3.6" folder in my back pocket I would be in violation of the law.

It would be funny if it wasn't so sad....

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Washingtons has Concealed HANDGUN permit.
No knives 3.5" blade can be concealed.

That it we call our CCW's "CPL"

con. pistol. lic.

·
Registered
22 Posts
In CA a folding knife of any size can be carried concealed. The section of the law that deals with this states that folders are only considered "dirks or daggers" (which are prohibited) if carried in the open and locked position. If carried in the closed position it is not considered a concealed weapon. There is no limit on blade size. If you're interested, you can find the law on the below site.

http://caag.state.ca.us/

1 - 20 of 25 Posts