1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks!

I will be going to my CCW class in the next few weeks, and have a question regarding what type of holster to use.

Since I have not yet decided on a carry rig, what would be your suggestion for a class holster? Should I go with something like strong side high-ride or with something like an IWB?

By the way, I'll be carrying a full size Kimber.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

[This message has been edited by sicorican (edited 12-06-2001).]

·
Registered
724 Posts
I'd suggest an on the belt instead of IWB for training and range use. You will probably end up with several of both sooner or later.

Be sure the trigger is covered and you can re-holster one handed (no cheapies).

I have lined Sharkskin ordered from http://www.raftersgunleather.com/
He's reasonable and gets goods reviews on this board and does not seem to have too long a back order. His belt holsters have a 15 degree FBI cant BTW.

How many shots are required to qualify? - You will probably need mag pouches and spare mags too.

We had to qualify with 50 rounds per caliber and type of firearm applied for. Made for an interesting day - I did six different combos. Good Luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Since you are in TN, you won't need to qualify with a holster. If your class is like the Level I class at Rangemaster in Memphis, you will not even use a holster for the CCW course. Call the place you are taking the course and ask them for advice.

·
Registered
152 Posts
fatctycycl is probably right that you will not need a holster for your CCW class. I started with an OWB holster since it is easier to use. However, I quickly learned that it is much easier to conceal an IWB holster, which is what I currently carry my full size 1911 in. The IWB I use is a Milt Sparks VMax 2 ( http://www.miltsparks.com/ ) and I have been very happy with it. It is comfortable to wear all day, conceals well and is high quality.

You will also need a good belt. I have been using a belt from http://www.thewilderness.com/Pages/home.html , and like it better than my leather belts which cost more.

Good luck, and practice, practice, practice.

Alan

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the suggestions!

I think that I'm going to go with a OWB type as a training and range holster.

We are required to qualify with 50 shots, so I'll probably get a mag carrier as well.

Thank you for the links and other helpful information.

You folks are the best!

:D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey, bud, before you go, you may want to consider getting a permit from Florida instead.
Tennessee reciprocates, and it's accepted in many more states than TN's.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I agree with Iceman's choice of holsters. Practice with the holster you plan to carry. You might as well start out with the Sparks, otherwise you will end up with a box of holsters and still have to call Sparks later.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I love my Milt Spark's Summer Special2. Incredibly comfortable for a Govt model IWB hoslter. I use it a lot and it won't set you back a bunch of $$. :cool:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again for all the suggestions.

I picked up an Uncle Mike's paddle style for range use. Nice fit, feels good, great retention. I'm seriously looking at the Milt Sparks VM2. I also really like the Watch 6. Hmmm... Decisions, decisions... :D

Thanx to all!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I took my class in Ky, we did not need a holster. Most of the time we were in a classroom watching stupid videos on when you are authorized to use deadly force. As for the range qualification. We only fired 25 rounds. Five were practice and then we fired the other 20, five rounds at a time. You had to hit the target, which was the size a barn only 11 out of the 20 rounds @ 21 feet. Talking to the owner of the range. They actually had a blind person pass the class.

·
Registered
559 Posts
youngun said:
Hey, bud, before you go, you may want to consider getting a permit from Florida instead.
Tennessee reciprocates, and it's accepted in many more states than TN's.
how do you get a permit for a state in which you are not a resident?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Iceman said:
You will also need a good belt. I have been using a belt from http://www.thewilderness.com/Pages/home.html , and like it better than my leather belts which cost more.

Alan [/B]
Iceman,

I went to the Wilderness link and am impressed by their belts. I am interested in the 1-1/2" width. They offer a standard 3-stitch, a 5-stitch and a very rigid Combat Shooter's Model. Which did you get or which would you recommend? I am going to be using a Milt Sparks 55BN OWB holster, carrying a full-size Kimber.

Thanks!

·
Registered
136 Posts
re: Wilderness Belt

John,
The Wilderness belt gets my vote, too!
I got the 1.5 inch 5 stitch and it'll hold anything comfortably, IWB or OWB.
They're also great folks to deal with.
ChefBob

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
Iceman, John M, and Chef Bob--

Not to belittle the Wilderness product, keep in mind that Iceman's BN holster is a Milt Sparks creation. Sparks purposely designs their belts with a slight curve (contour) end product--Comfort.

Craig

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
I guess its too early in the morning. Correction that should have been John's BN holster.

Craig

·
Registered
106 Posts
lasports said:
Iceman, John M, and Chef Bob--

Not to belittle the Wilderness product, keep in mind that Iceman's BN holster is a Milt Sparks creation. Sparks purposely designs their belts with a slight curve (contour) end product--Comfort.

Craig
Craig, I appreciate your advice. The Milt Sparks belts look very comfortable. Some day I will probably own one (or more). For now, I can see several applications for the Originals Instructor belt, in addition to being a sturdy platform for my Sparks holster. No reason to stop with just one good belt!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I choose the 1.5 inch 5-stitch version of the Wilderness belt after speaking with the people at Wilderness. The type of belt they recommend will depend upon the belt length, holster and duration of wear. The 5-stitch variety is stiff enough to support my full size 1911 in the VM-2, yet comfortable enough to wear all day.

Milt Sparks leather belts are very good, having used both the 1.25 and 1.5 inch versions. I really like the 1.25 inch belt as it is stiff, yet comfortable. However, the Wilderness belt is stiffer than the same size leather belt, and I therefore prefer the former.

Alan

·
Registered
106 Posts
Alan, based on your feedback, I ordered the 5-stitch model. I currently have nothing that looks like it at all, so it will be a good addition.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts