1911Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having received a CCW in MI, I have been trying out various methods of concealing my Kimber UC. I have a Mitch Rosen straight drop type holster (UPL) which is very comfortable and can be used for both strong side and cross draw. (My wife carries in a purse but I don't have that option.) She tells me the UC prints when I wear a loose shirt over it. What type of clothing will conceal besides a vest? What do you do?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I carry IWB with a Wild Bills Southern Comfort. It carries high on the strong side behind the hip. I carry a full size 1911. No problems while wearing an untucked polo shirt.

------------------
Simian

NRA Life Member

·
Registered
50 Posts
I, too, carry a full size 1911. I use a Milt Sparks VersaMax II holster (IWB) on the strong side, just behind the point of my hip. I have no problems wearing a polo shirt, both untucked and tucked. I've also had no problems with dress shirts using this configuration (tucked in).

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
<><> philip63, check out the Strikeback, by www.waldonholsters.com. I have an UC, and a Compact. The Strikeback, conceals very well. It is also stable, comfortable, and very well made. It is the only holster that offers me total and complete concealment, and I have a drawer full of holsters.
--------------------------

Raspy

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
You ask what conceals besides a vest. What is wrong with vests? You don't have to get the stereotypical photo/safari vests and so there are a lot of ways you can go with vests.

Another option I tried and did not care for too much was buying spare sportscoats. The conceal fine, but just weren't right for me so much of the time.

If your gun prints, then you have several possible means of dealing with it. First is to not carry it or replace it. I figure that is the worst option. Second, change what you are using to cover it. I find that darker colors and thicker fabrics do a much better job. Dark colors with patterns are great because they break up the print shadows that are caused. Thicker fabrics are great because they offer less detail if they do print and they tend to last longer. As the temps drop there, you will find that baggy sweatshirts are great. Third, change the method or location of carry. It will likely take a little time to find the idea carry spot that both conceals well and is comfortable. Fourth, carry more items on your belt such that if someone notices a print, you can whip out your cell phone, PDA, or show that you have a nice knife in a sheath. Sometimes I have my leatherman there. Often when I see someone print, what is printing is not a gun and surprisingly, cell phones can look like guns if you are looking for guns. And yes, I know they have had cell phone guns, but I wasn't going there.

Personally, I do like to wear vests. While I have the nice photo/safari vests, I tend to only use them when I am doing child duty at the mall and will have all sorts of things stuffed in the pockets like diapers, wipes, cream, bottle, munchies, toys, gun, knife, cell phone, spare mags, compass, etc. People are amazed when they see me pull out all the necessary stuff for a diaper change and I am not carrying a diaper bag. Let me tell you what, under Huggies diapers, you could conceal one of those giant Desert Eagle .50 guns.

I have three vests that are made of canvas and have a few pockets, but don't look like safari gear. I have a couple of leather vests as well that each have a couple of pockets. One of the leather vests is great because it is made with some nice thick leather.

I have seen all sorts of sizes of people who carry with an untucked Polo type shirt. I do it as well. While that works, it often looks a little too casual. Try to find some nice polo type shirts without the tails, in other words, shirts made NOT to be tucked in. The look a little less slouchy. Once again, consider the colors, patterns, and thickness of the material. Darker colors and busier patterns tend to conceal the best.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I carry full sized 1911's also. IWB by Blade-Tech and Leather Arsenal...and can't wait until SideArmor brings out their IWB for GM 1911's. Usually under untucked Polo as well. Also, frequently under untucked t-shirt. Where I'm at in East Texas, that is pretty common dress during the summer.

Have had several folks who know I shoot, ask me if I ever carry...while I have one on. (Typical response is 'Oh, sometimes'). Gun toters could tell if they paid attention when it was my Para and a spare mag. Now it's a Baer TRS (has slim grips), or Kimber with slim grips, and I can't tell.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Summertime: Guauyabera Shirts (they're specifically cut to be worn untucked, and come in casual and dressy type designs), untucked polo shirts.

Wintertime: Sweatshirts, Sweaters and untucked rugby type shirts which are available from Lands End in good quality.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Another thing.. pants. I wear Dickies, and they have the carpenters pocket on the r/h leg. Perfect to carry an extra mag in without having to have something else on your belt. And as far as I know, Dickies are not anti's.

·
Registered
284 Posts
What Double Naught said...

Too, most people have little trouble with the sleeveless T under a button up shirt routine. It will print if you bend over too far, though. The government model is not a glock 26, sorry.

Have some nickels sewn into the front hems of the button up shirt (two nickles, to a side, w/ a piece of fabric in between, or they will annoy you by clicking together all the time!). This will keep the wind from blowing your shirt open so easily.

In a strong breeze, you can button a button up above your belt. This allows you to hike up the shirt easier than a lower button.

BHP, or Government, in a Bianchi Pistol Pocket now, 24/7, for me w/ few concealment worries (and I'm quite thin at 6'0" 150lbs). Good holster, but thinking of going outside the waist band for awhile to see if I can get a little more comfort. The wieght of the all steel government bothers me at times.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Something else that you may consider. Cabela's seems to have a nice line of pants. They are nice looking and casual, but most have 1.5 - 1.75 inch belt loops and the material is just heavy enough to stick a gun in with out printing. To me these qualities were hard to find. Most good summer shorts and pants are too light and have wimpy belt loops in my opinion.

Good luck finding the right shirts and tell us when you do!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I carry a fullsize 1911 also in a oldworld leather belt slide with the FBI cant. I wear a light (in color and fabric) button down shirt to cover it with no problems. My local gun dealer was amazed at how well it works. I have also just stuck the gun between my belt and pants in the same location as the holster would be with about the same tilt with the same results. I might have to look into the dickies mags are hard on back pockets!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I want to thank everyone that responded. All of the suggestions were great and gives me a lot of options to think about and to try.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I've just started wearing Hawaian shirts with thier gaudy designs over jeans for IDPA competition. The naseous designs break up outlines pretty good. As an engineer, I can be justifiably proud of a total lack of fashion sense for these IDPA competitions. I have even come up with a new saying for my newfound attire.

"With a hawaian shirt, nothing will print but bad taste!"

------------------
-Electric Armadillo-

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hey Electric A, I'm sure the nausea your shirts induce in your competitors doesn't hurt your record either, eh?

Seriously though, what about us poor schmoes who have to wear 'business casual' (an oxymoron if I ever heard one), which means for me tucked in polo shirts and slacks, no jacket. I'm looking hard at Sparks' VM2. Any opinions?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Originally posted by AllenTC2:
Seriously though, what about us poor schmoes who have to wear 'business casual' (an oxymoron if I ever heard one), which means for me tucked in polo shirts and slacks, no jacket. I'm looking hard at Sparks' VM2. Any opinions?
You might look into the Smart Carry or Thunderwear holsters. Both are about the same, but different companies.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I carry a Beretta Mini Cougar, 8040F, and usually have my shirt tucked in and vloused over an IWB (either an ARG-Slim, Undershirt or Talon). With pratice, you can blouse a little of the shirt out around your belt and nobody notices. One key is finding a holster & belt combo that keeps the grip fairly tight against your back.

-- Chuck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts