1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read an article a while ago that used the term "going heavy" in reference to carrying concealed. If someone asked me if I was going heavy, never having heard the term before and weiging in at 220, I would have to say yes.

That got me thinking of other terms for carrying. Other than the standard "packing" and plain old "armed", which slang terms or euphemisms do you know?

------------------
Glenn

·
Registered
223 Posts
My shooting buddies usualy ask each other "Are you walking"? I don't remember how it got started now.

Gunner
Originally posted by b540glenn:
I read an article a while ago that used the term "going heavy" in reference to carrying concealed. If someone asked me if I was going heavy, never having heard the term before and weiging in at 220, I would have to say yes.

That got me thinking of other terms for carrying. Other than the standard "packing" and plain old "armed", which slang terms or euphemisms do you know?

·
Registered
538 Posts
My answer is pretty simple when asked if I am packing--no, vacation is not until summer. Or if asked if I am carrying a gun, No, do I need to?

I tend to be very private about carry--with everyone. GLV

------------------
"Kindness to the bad man is cruelty to the good"

·
Registered
289 Posts
Are you hot?

Are you hoggin'?

Got flame?

Ready for the ATM?

Got the full kit? (Refers to knife, cell phone and firearm)

And one of my favorites...

Are you bored? Pun on "bore"

For those that always are anyway...

Metal or Tupperware?

------------------
Good Shooting, MarkCO http://markco.gunsnet.com

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
The regular terms I hear are:
packing
packing heat
carrying

For conversations between my wife and myself when other people are around who have no business knowing, I will sometimes be 'traveling with' or 'stepping out with Mr. Wilson or Mr. Kimber.'

I have noticed a strange bit of questioning that goes on in public between gun carriers. For some reason, if prompted with questions like "Whatcha got today?" somehow gun carriers know that their fellow carriers are asking which gun they brought with them, even if the conversation to that point had not been about guns.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Like GLV I don't advertise the fact that I am armed among my friends and relatives. They already know.

If someone I don't know well should ask if I'm packing, carrying, etc I might ask them "Why do you ask?" or maybe "Doesn't everybody?" As far as I'm concerned, it's none of their business.

But as far as slang for concealed carry, how 'bout:

"Hot to trot?" or "Got protection?"

Maybe "Got you covered." or "You're covered."

·
Registered
335 Posts
I understand what you are saying GLV. Most of my friends will never know one way or the other.

The friends who do know.. the ones I would expect to cover my 6 if needed.. will simply ask "CQB? TR? TiGGer? Operator?" And that is more to know if we can share mags.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do you have your American Express Card???

Don't leave home without it!

------------------
Never ask a man where he is from. If he's from Texas, he'll tell you; if he's not, don't embarrass him.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Originally posted by CJ:
When me and the wife are out and about she sometimes asks me if I have my LIL Buddy...
Are you sure she means your gun?

------------------
"Double-action in an auto pistol seems to me an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem." -Jeff Cooper G&A mag Oct. 1973

·
Registered
80 Posts
My father always referred to it as "being formally dressed." My wife calls it "bringing a friend." Outside my family there is only one person that I know whom I can trust to watch my back.....I let him know my status by whistling the AT&T song:

"Reach out, reach out and touch someone."

Len

·
Registered
150 Posts
I never let anyone other than my wife know that I'm carrying. My wife will only know for sure if she saw my rig on while I'm dressing or happens to put her arm around my waist. She usually just assumes that I am, since I always carry. On those rare occasions when I want to let her know, I just say I'm dressed.

I usually have two answers if questioned by anyone else, which I rarely am. My favorite is: "Not as far as you know." Since I use that answer in many topic areas, everyone just takes it as a joke and moves on. If ever anyone ever persists, I plan to answer that: "Etiquette dictates that you don't ask a woman her age or weight, nor ask a man if he's carrying."

Regards,
TBob

·
Registered
39 Posts
I usually get a "Got your buddy?" from my wife the few times she may ask. Most times she just assumes that I am (and I am). My buddies that know (very few) don't say anything, as I have asked them to be discreet about it. I wouldn't want some anti-gunner going nuts, after all.

I bought a Taurus PT-111 for my wife, and when she travels, I always ask her, "Are you taking the Taurus?" The only people to not automatically assume that I am referring to a Ford are the ones that know that I do not own one.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Only my wife would ever know. I dated her for three years before she knew(ankle rigs are slow but very 2nd level) As many friends of ours have vastly different political, socio, backgrounds, it pays to be "quiet" NEVER underestimate the element of SUPRISE.:D

·
Registered
403 Posts
A few I've heard or used:

"Toting"

"Prepped"

"Ready"

"Taking friendly fire"

"Everythings rosy?" - pun on elitist personality:mad:

Or con:

"alienated" - not packing due to legal restriction:eek:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Back in the "old days" ( I'm starting to feel my age now) In tribute to Joseph Wambaugh we always asked " got yer Roscoe??" Today my wife knows that I do, because she carries hers also!!! Remember, a family that packs together is not one to screw with !!! :) :) :) :D :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts