1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know you thinner guys (say under 175 lb.) can conceal a handgun much easier than a husky guy (is that your 1911 Long Slide or are you just glad to see me? :D ).

I stand 5'11" and weigh in at 235. I can't conceal [email protected] in the summer! When it's cooler I use a Galco horizonal shoulder rig under a jacket.

You size XL & XXL people, please speak up if you have a way to pull this off.

Tom

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
6'4" and 275 lbs I wear a pancake for my HK USP, Just a long T shirt is sufficent to cover. It get's a bit more tricky when I ride the Motorcycle though. I have a vest for that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I to am 5'11" and 230. I use a Sparks VM-II right at 9:00 (3 for you righties), and haven't had a problem concealing a 1911 under a XXL hawaiian shirt or camp shirt in the summer. Comfy too!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am 5'11'' and 250 (down from 285 and falling:D ) and I currently carry a commander with a Milt Sparks Summer Special II and sometimes a small J-frame in my pocket. I used to carry a S&W m457 with a Kramer IWB (III?) When I started to carry I used to use an Uncle Mike's IWB until my love handles worked my smith out and almost on to the floor of Books-a-Million. I ordered the Kramer the next day. Moral: Don't skimp on a holster. The uncle mike's was very uncormfortable and allowed the gun to work around. A good holster makes thing a lot more comfortable and safer for us big guys and anyone else for that matter.

Carrying with an IWB holster for me is okay as long as I am standing but a little uncomfortable when sitting but I can deal with it. I must admit the colt/sparks combo is a lot more comfortable than the smith/kramer combo although the colt's hammer digs into my side sometimes. The smith is a wide gun and it pulls on my waistband a lot harder but the Kramer holster made a world of differance.

Sorry if I rambled:p hope this helped.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I'm 6'4" 240lbs, and I use a galco IWB behind my right hip. I've also carried small of the back alot. I've found that the pistol has a broader flater surface to be concealed against, and it doesn't dig in as much when you bend or sit. However it isn't quite as quick to reach, but with practice isn't bad.

Hershey

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'm 6'8" and 320. I can conceal damned near anything I want. An AK with stock removed fits under my jacket in the winter if I want that much firepower. I don't bother to do it much.

My primary is a Fobus paddle holster (available in left hand, thank the gods!) for my Springfiled 1911 Milspec.

For non-winter months, I just get shirts a size larger.

I'm already buying 5x, so I just order 6x. Most of it's for length, ironically.

·
Registered
877 Posts
A good quality IWB holster is the way to go, but you need the following:

1. A sturdy (double thick) belt to support the holster
2. Trousers that fit properly with the holster in place

Generalization to follow . . .

Most big guys who believe they can't carry IWB effectively just need bigger pants. You may have to wear them higher than you did as a teenager, but it will eventually be more comfortable (plus it looks a lot better).

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I am 5'9" and 220. If you can't conceal, you are dressing wrong.

For a class, I managed to demo 5 CCW at once, 3 1911s on the belt (1 full, one compact, one officers), 2 mag pouches of 3 mags (total), and two pocket guns (Colt Pony .380 and Colt 1903 .32 acp, spare mag for the Pony also). I concealed fine under a vest. I could not run without being beaten to death by the carry guns and mags. My belt dug in painfully and by the end of the day, I was sorry for the demo and by then, I had emptied all by one gun for shooting so as to avoid any potential safety problems. I would clunk leaning against a car, not silent, but concealed.

Dark colors conceal better than light, busy patterns better than plain, and thick fabrics better than thin. Not all holsters carry the same. For example, a straight drop Sparks BN55 projects the butt of the gun off and away from my frame and does NOT conceal nearly as well as the same hoster in an FBI Cant instead of straight drop.

On the belt, loops, and holster, the belt must be of sufficient length, width, and thickness. More importantly, the belt width must fit the beltloops on the pants AND the loops on the holster. If the belt is too narrow for either, the holster will end up moving around.

There are a lot of considerations and proper decisions.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I am 6'2" and 220. My favorite holster is the Safariland 027 IWB. I can conceal in winter easily and here there is about 9 months of heavy clothes weather. In summer its a little trickier, but I often get away with a T shirt and a shorts. The trick is getting a good rig and getting comfortable with it. Most people won't notice unless you constantly tug pull and readjust every five seconds.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Consider losing a couple inches around the waist - your pants will have extra room that will make an IWB much more comfortable. A big guy can also carry a snubnose airwieght in a Kramer pocket holster pretty easy.

Tactically getting into better shape make a whole lot of sense - I see guys spend thousands of dollars on equipment and training but they won't join a gym or try to eat a healthy diet.

·
Registered
877 Posts
nvcdl said:
Consider losing a couple inches around the waist - your pants will have extra room that will make an IWB much more comfortable. A big guy can also carry a snubnose airwieght in a Kramer pocket holster pretty easy.

Tactically getting into better shape make a whole lot of sense - I see guys spend thousands of dollars on equipment and training but they won't join a gym or try to eat a healthy diet.

I'm sure you mean that in a constructive way, but even if the guy can lose weight and keep it off, it won't happen over night. He'll still need a carry solution for the here and now, regardless of what he does to change.

·
Banned
575 Posts
I would think it would be easier to conceal on a bigger guy. More room to hide.

At 5'8" and 250 I very easily carry and conceal a full size 1911 in a Milt Sparks Versa Max II, two extra 8 round mags and a tactical flashlight!

In the summertime just a large, loose fitting tee, untucked of course.

Methos

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've been in the same boat, at one time I was up to 230 @ 5'10" and out of shape. I do think that phyisical fitness is part of the tactical equation.

While a 38 snub might be looked at as a mouse gun I find it the most practical carry piece, a pocket holster conceals well in baggy pants or a jacket, the bigger you are the better. The pocket holster have the advantage of being easy to remove and stash away if you can't carry in a particular venue.

rhino465 said:
I'm sure you mean that in a constructive way, but even if the guy can lose weight and keep it off, it won't happen over night. He'll still need a carry solution for the here and now, regardless of what he does to change.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
tomthbomb,

Let me start by saying it is easier to conceal and carry a small handgun than a large one. I usually carry a custom Kahr K40 in a Milt Sparks Mirage or Summer Special. My belt was made by Walton and a quality belt is a requirement for carry.

When it comes to carrying a large weapon (Colt Government) I recommend the following: KL Null UNS or VHH (Vern Humphrey Holster), Milt Sparks Summer Special, or Alessi CQC-I. These are quality holsters that work.

Want to know how good a KL Null UNS is? I cam carry a Glock 21 under a T-Shirt with this holster.

Regards,

Richard:D

·
Registered
533 Posts
6'2" 280lbs

I wear a Kimber Stainless II, or a Colt Gov't. Using a Milt Spark's Versa Max II, as well as a double IWB Mag pouch, between the belt and pants/shorts.
buy Pants(or Shorts) 1 size larger than you wear, and a belt 2" bigger than you would wear normally, Cover with a XXL or XXXL Tee shirt and all is well comfort, and concealment wise:cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
5'10" 220lbs.

in the summer I use a Safariland 518 paddle holster for a H&K fullsize USP but I really don't have to worry if it's that concealed due to the badge that rides on the belt next to it. I do keep it concealed for the most part but if it shows on occasion I'm covered. As for the winter, the same holster and a jacket works wonders for conealment.

Andrew

·
Registered
919 Posts
We all know you thinner guys (say under 175 lb.) can conceal a handgun much easier than a husky guy
When was it that "we" all found this out?

No sympathy and no apologies to anyone that uses their size as an excuse for not carrying well.

I'm 6'4' and 210 pounds, living in deep south, tropical Texas where cool winter days dip into the sixties. Typically, I wear shorts and short sleeved shirts year round but have no difficulty daily concealing my Springfield Officers Model under a tucked in shirt.

I wear at work every day and none of my associates are aware of it. I wear in Church every week and embrace the Pastor as I leave but nobody knows about it.

Make some room in your pants for a good tuckable holster and you can go anywhere. The only person who has an excuse for not carrying well is a ninety pound bone-rack with a wardrobe of skin-tight clothes. On second thought, bone-rack could dress differently.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts