1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past week I was sent on a business trip back east. When I arrived at my destination I proceeded to the rental car counter for my reservation. Once I was there the associate asked me for the typical items, my credit card and a valid driver’s license. I handed him my Visa and my Texas DL but when he grabbed my license he looked at it a little funny and continued to process the rental.

For some reason he wasn't too comfortable with my driver's license and picked it up again but this time he turned it over and got a glance at my CCW permit. He then stated "I was wondering why your driver's license was so thick". You see I’ve always used double sided tape to keep my DL and CCW together. This way I don't forget my CCW or lose it.

His next comments were that he also had a CCW and thought it was a neat idea to keep both together like that. He then gave me a free upgrade on my rental and told me to be safe and have a nice day. I guess having a CCW has more perks than I thought.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

RJM

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
It seems to me that taping it to your DL simply allows everyone that has access to your DL know that you carry a gun. I don't see the benifit.

·
Super Moderator
14,938 Posts
eljay45 said:
It seems to me that taping it to your DL simply allows everyone that has access to your DL know that you carry a gun. I don't see the benifit.
In Missouri, a concealed carry permitee has the option of an individual CCW card or an endorsement on your drivers license. I chose the drivers license endorsement, so that if I'm ever stopped in my vehicle by an LEO, it will be readily apparent to him (or her) that I have a CCW license.

·
Banned
976 Posts
The benefit is finding out that another person who is basically a stranger has the same kind of likes/appreciations/mentality as you.

You being a gun owner/collecter/conservative/defensive/prepared, etc.

I notice attitudes suddenly change when I discover another gun owner or competitive shooter, or hunter.

It's like being a part of the same club. Kind of like we're on the same team and don't like anti's..

There is already a basic connection established between. A common ground.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
To each his own, but the purpose of carrying concealed (something I've been doing for almost 40 years) is to prevent people from knowing you're armed. I don't want anyone to know I'm carrying, especially strangers. That nice guy you're bonding with at the car rental place may be a parolee for all you know and that's the point, you don't know who you're dealing with no matter how friendly they may seem to be. The best criminals are also the best at deception.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Loco38SUP said:
Anyone else have a similar experience?
The few times I've been stopped for traffic offences since I've had my CHL, it was like a "get out of jail free" card - got a verbal warning and pleasant conversation every time.

Other than that, and buying new firearms, I've never showed it to anyone else.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
When I carry, I have my CCW badge in a special badge holder clipped on my belt -

I also keep my CPL and DL in one of these (comes in handy when I can't carry or want to more discreetly notify someone that I am a CPL holder) -

I get all kinds of "upgrades" and "perks" when I'm out. I've been able to go through the 12 item or less checklanes with more than 12 items. I've had my oil changed in less than 15 minutes at the 15 minute or less quick oil change place. I've even found money just lying on the ground before.

Try one for yourself and see. You too, can begin enjoying the many benefits they offer.

"Membership has it's privileges", but you need to let everyone know your a "member" to enjoy the benefits, right?

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
RetiredRod said:
In Missouri, a concealed carry permitee has the option of an individual CCW card or an endorsement on your drivers license. I chose the drivers license endorsement, so that if I'm ever stopped in my vehicle by an LEO, it will be readily apparent to him (or her) that I have a CCW license.
Frankly, I did just the opposite. I got a non-driver ID with my CCW on it.

1. In Missouri, you don't have to tell the police you have a CCW unless they ask. There are a couple of jurisdictions here that are harassing CCW holders by trying to confiscate their guns during traffic stops. Why would I want to volunteer that info?

2. I don't want everyone that asks for my driver's license for a check or credit card knowing I might be carrying. None of their business. It scares the ignorant sheeple if they think you have a gun.

·
Registered
40 Posts
"concealed" bout says it all. I wouldn't be too surprised if some places they could construe showing your license as brandishing, the clerk could certainly say he felt you were threatening him by implying you had a gun. Not good.
I never showed my CHL to anyone and now that I live in a truly free state (don't even need a license) I still don't let people know.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a CCW in Kansas. I chose the option of a seperate CCW and DL. Why?

If my DL is ever confiscated, for whatever inane reason someone conjures up, I still have my CCW and can still legally carry.

If my CCW is ever confiscated for a shooting, or any reason, I can still drive using my DL, otherwise I have to wait until I can navigate the insane KS system to get a new one. You might want to check out the rules on this in your state, because in most states that offer CCW, you will lose your right to carry and have your CCW confiscated following a shooting and until the legal system determines if you were justified in doing so or not. This way if that ever does happen at least I can still drive myself to the courthouse!! :grumble:

Everyone that sees my DL doesn't know whether I have a CCW or not - it is my choice if someone knows, not the state government's choice (except where you must legally inform a LEO or if you choose to in other states).

If I lose one, I haven't lost both. :eek:

Just my reasons for doing that in case it is of interest.

·
Registered
98 Posts
LEO Impersonation Hazard ?

kevins_garage said:
When I carry, I have my CCW badge in a special badge holder clipped on my belt I get all kinds of "upgrades" and "perks" when I'm out. I've been able to go through the 12 item or less checklanes with more than 12 items. I've had my oil changed in less than 15 minutes at the 15 minute or less quick oil change place. I've even found money just lying on the ground before. Try one for yourself and see. You too, can begin enjoying the many benefits they offer. "Membership has it's privileges", but you need to let everyone know your a "member" to enjoy the benefits, right?
Kevin's Garage, please do not misunderstand this post as an intent to "flame" or be offensive or insulting - I offer my thoughts only as "food for thought" and for your possible sake & benefit.

I see from your tag line that you joined the Forum circa 2004 so it certainly seems you're not a "Newbie" by any means. Even so, I hardly know any CCW licensees (or LEO's for that matter) who don't strongly disapprove of so-called "CCW badges" - unless you are current or retired LEO and unless that's a legit Law Enforcement Officer badge you're flouting there.

From the content of your post, it would seem there's a distinct possibility that all the "upgrades" and "perks" and "benefits" you are enjoying may be occasioned by people mistakenly (???) misconstruing you as a Police Officer rather than simply a CCW licensee.

First off, if you flash that that thing in the wrong company or with BGs in the periphery, you might easily be mistaken as an undercover "narc" and that could tend to get you dead.

Secondly, if you haven't already done so, I would urgently suggest that you thoroughly rtesearch your residency-state laws and verify whether or not your actions could be considered as the crime of impersonating or attempted impersonating a police officer. If you have any doubts about the personal local LEO opinions on your described habit, ask a few LEOs and I'm sure they'll inform you of their opinions on the subject.

Again, no insult intended, just a hope that you'll stay careful, and stay safe, and stay within the Law, for your own sake, as well as for the sake of all yout other fellow CCW licensee compatriots . . .

Best Wishes & Happy Holidays to all !

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
RTC1911 said:
Kevin's Garage, please do not misunderstand this post as an intent to "flame" or be offensive or insulting - I offer my thoughts only as "food for thought" and for your possible sake & benefit...
I think some one does not know when his leg is being pulled...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Unless I am mistaken the "perks" he listed were meant tongue in cheak and could have happened to anyone.
Thanks for the info about LE perspective on "CHL" badges.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ben B. said:
I think some one does not know when his leg is being pulled...
Perhaps Not.
Probably Not.
I sure as hell HOPE not, LOL !
Who knows?
I don't. Not for certain, anyway.
So I just thought thought geez, in that case, maybe I oughta lend a clue, just in case someone wasn't just having fun at my expense.

Oh okay - maybe I just "got a clue" too -
yeah, I can laugh at my Self, too.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
RetiredRod said:
I went the other way Rod. I have the separate Nondriver License with CCW endorsement. I don't see any reason to advertise that I have a CCW when cashing checks, etc. using the DL for ID. If you are stopped in MO the LEO will know if you have a CCW when they run the plates (if it is your car) or your DL. The DL and Nondriver License will have the same license number.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
JohnC said:
If you are stopped in MO the LEO will know if you have a CCW when they run the plates (if it is your car) or your DL. The DL and Nondriver License will have the same license number.
Actually, they are not supposed to know that info simply from running your license plate. Driver's license maybe, but not your plates. Of course, the state tends not to follow it's own rules.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts