1911Forum banner

Should someon offer lasergrips or internal lasersight for your double stack .45?

• no

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 29 70.7%
  • not sure

Votes: 2 4.9%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use a para p12 with night sights as my carry gun and it has been excellent. However I recently had an experience that convinced me that a laser would be a benefit not a crutch. Crimson trace and Lasermax seem to be the only legitimate offerings for the ccw market but only offer a model for single stacks(crimson trace) or only for full size 1911's (lasermax).

Any one else out there have a double stack 45 and wouldn't mind if there was a laser option?

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Lasers are more "gimicky" than practical.
No thank you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
As soon as you light up, you become the target.
Not true, there are lasers out there that only the point of impact is visible, not the full track of the laser.

I am buying a P14 right now and would love to put a laser on it. Since I am in the Marines, one with an IR setting would be nice also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. I am just trying to rally some support so that companies like crimson trace and lasermax would produce a compatible lasersight for para ccw guns. They make them for kimber,colt,SA, and all the other single stacks so why not double stacks?

Yes. some people out there say all you need is practice and some good iron sights. That is true, however there are certain times when a laser sight can be valuable. The fact that police units or military use laser sights in certain situations attests to this.

In the rare instance that if some attacker approaches you from a distance at night are you going to shoot if they get close enough to really aim at you or yell at them and tell them you have tritium sights and you practice a lot ? Why not have the option of flashing a laser in their eyes or on their chest if you decide it would be to your advantage.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
I think it can be used as a tool to help the shooter with his basics. I had a friend who had a laser on his 686, and Jason and I could actually see what was happening when he pulled the trigger. (jerked on it hard.) If someone watches what the laser does when you fire, I think it could help you fix some of the basic shooting problems.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Not true, there are lasers out there that only the point of impact is visible, not the full track of the laser.
Who said anything about the beam? As soon as you light up, the source is eminently visible. I'm not talking about what you're holding your spot on, I'm going to shoot directly over the top of the source that I see. Good night!

·
Registered
11 Posts
But if you are training as you should be, then the laser will illuminate your target for less than 1 second before the muzzle blast blinds them. Same principles as shooting with a light at night.

The laser should never be used as a sighting device. That is where training comes in, even with my eyes closed throughout my draw, my sights still come up aligned. But a laser would still be a good confirming indicator as I extend out my arms, right before my shot breaks.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Played with my new laser sight last night. The beam becomes visible after the first shot or so. I was in fairly low lighting but I use Complete Metal jacket ammo. That is no exposed lead and the rounds when fired outside don't seem to be very smokey. If you pulse the light it would be very difficult to back track.

But as they told me many years ago "tracers work both ways".

Ed

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
parap12 said:
Ok. I am just trying to rally some support so that companies like crimson trace and lasermax would produce a compatible lasersight for para ccw guns. They make them for kimber,colt,SA, and all the other single stacks so why not double stacks?
Actually, Lasermax now offers a Para converter accessory to go along with their 1911 model guiderod laser, so double stack 1911 users (well, P-14 users, you're still stuck with a full sized gun, with a 5" barrel) now can use Lasermax.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I think they work OK as a training tool. I was at the range and the guy next to me was shooting like crap. Even with his laser, he couldn't tell he was anticipating the recoil...big time. If lighting were an issue, I would prefer a tactical light in my weak hand.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I really like night sights over a lazer. Does anyone have Para factory NS's? If so how would you compare them the the brightness of green Meprolight? Wanting to get some and have never seen a set of Para's.
Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
348 Posts
Schlange,

I have the Carry 12, bought NIB last week, and I'm not impressed by the brightness of the P-O night sites. The sights on my Glock 26 were a lot brighter.

I have a set of CT's on my Smith 340SC. They are a big help. There are "pros and cons" to lasers. I used to believe that they were a crutch or gimmick, but now that I'm older and have age-related sight problems, I am now a believer in their value. Back in the `70's, I was "pointman" on a large number of forced entries. I could have used them then. Now that I'm retired, they serve a different purpose: Personal and family protection,

John

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
The Para NS that I've looked at seem to use a smaller diameter vial. I thought they were quite dim compared to Mepro or Trijicon.

Being able to align the sights still doesn't resolve the problem of identifying the target.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks guys.....:)
Well now I know, I sort of thought that by looking at the pictures of them but could not really tell. I have a set of Mepro's that are 6 years old and still as bright as the day I got them, and they are BRIGHT...
Now just need to find out if them make em for the CCO, hope so.
I hear ya John about age and eyes, what a bitch it is at times. Them Mepros have a fairly large white circle around the vial's that helps me a lot durring the day also. So it is not just for evening ware for me, it is an aid in the day to get a better sight picture.
Take care
Steve

·
Registered
954 Posts
When y'all get old and your eyes can't focus on sights or night sights without your glasses, you'll quickly see the merit of having laser sights on your self defense gun! RedDot sights on your range guns then start making sense too.

Laser sights can help with "instinctive" point shooting and in other imagined, but unlikely scenerios. As to any other criticisms, you don't have to turn them on, they are just one more tool in the old toolbox. But I agree you young guys could probably spend your money better on other things, for now -- but when the presbyoptia kicks in (hits in the age range 40-50 for 'bout everyone) you'll think differently.

--wally.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just another old guy who votes with the senior crowd. Once you've tried them, you will like them - either for training or for active use. CT is the best!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
lazor sights

I have two carry weapons, a CA undercover lite 38 sp, and a SA 1911-A1 both with CT lazer grips. In a tight situation or when you want to be VERY sure of a kill shot its the only way to fly.......................

1 - 20 of 27 Posts