1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking my ccw class this weekend and have a few questions. Firstoff, does anyone use the Smart Carry holster system and how do you like it. My carry gun will be a Colt Mark IV Officers 45ACP 80 series. This of course has the grip safety as well as the safety on the slide. My secong guestion is should I carry with the hammer in the down position, the cocked position with the slide safety on, or cocked relying only on the grip safety. Thanks for the help Brandon

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been told by people that teach defensive pistol classes that you would better off carrying it cocked and locked (safety on).

·
Registered
691 Posts
Agreed, cocked and locked is usually the way to go, and thats how I carry with my IWB holster, however...

Can you tell me more about the "Smartcarry" system you're referring to? I hesitate to suggest anything without knowing all the details.

------------------
-Electric Armadillo-

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Originally posted by bars full auto:
. Firstoff, does anyone use the Smart Carry holster system and how do you like it.
I've tried belly bands before and the "Pager Pal",,never worked!! uncomfortable to say the least and hard to access no matter what they say. Get some good leather your comfortable with.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Cocked and locked is the way Browning designed it to be carried. Some feel uneasy about it and so carry with the hammer down and nothing in the chamber. This is ok, I guess but you give up a round, and must rack the slide on drawing the pistol. Hammer down on a chambered round is never a good idea in my opinion -- you have to ease the hammer down on a live round which invites accidents and the pistol is no more ready than hammer down on an empty chamber. To get used to the cocked and locked carry, or for your piece of mind, you can try carrying cocked and locked with an empty chamber for a couple of days to reassure yourself that the safety won't swipe off in your day to day activities and to get used to the "look" of the hammer up.

I use a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 IWB holster and am happy with it's comfort, security, and ease of draw. I carry only cocked and locked.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Imo, BTB (Smartcarry,Thunderwear) is a GREAT way to go! It is the only carry method I have found that is not only comfortable, but also concealable with regular clothes. I for one am neither willing nor able to alter my style of dress just so I can lug around 38 oz of metal strapped to my belt...

Fortunately, with my Thunderwear and Ultra CDP, I don't have to. I think you'll like it too. Btw, it is NOTHING like the pager pal stuff. I have a couple of those and they are worthless.

The 1911 is designed to be carried cocked and locked. If you are going to have a round in the chamber, do not carry with either of the other two methods you described.

·
Registered
809 Posts
The 1911 should be carried fully cocked with the manual safety engaged or with the hammer down on an empty chamber, one or the other, nothing else. For what it is worth, as of a couple of years ago the official carry of the British S.A.S. was hammer down on an empty chamber, not a bad endorsement, and not a bad idea while you build up some practice time at the range.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm fairly new to single-actions...

How about carrying it half-cocked with a round in the chamber? Isn't that the purpose of the half-cock? It allows a live round in the chamber without a chance of impact fire?

Just wondering.

·
Banned
217 Posts
T_Smith: I was bothered by the sight of the Cocked & Locked carry when I first started to carry a 1911. But I took the advice of the Old Codgers and carried it C&L'd.

One day I bent over to lift something and the pistol (Kimber Classic) fell out onto the concrete from about 4' up (cheap Uncle Mike's IWB holster). It landed dead on the hammer and put a ding in the serations. The hammer fell from full to half-cock. I picked up the pistol, cleared and inspected it, and have carried it cocked & locked for the last 20K rounds. After a thousand draw and fire drills, I can't imagine carrying a pistol any other way.

So what's my point, you might ask? Well I think you'll get used to C&L in time. I remember when I felt I had to check the safety every 15 minutes when carrying Inside the Waist Band. Now I don't even think about it.

As I'm sure others will tell you, there are really only 3 ways to carry a 1911 safely:

(1) - Round chambered, hammer cocked and safety on, i.e. Cocked & Locked.
(2) - Chamber empty, hammer down, loaded magazine inserted.
(3) - Chamber empty, hammer down, magazine in your back pocket.

You'll note that I did not include round chambered, hammer down. Why? Because the single most dangerous activity is to try to lower the hammer on a chambered round.

------------------
Have a great day!

[This message has been edited by dla (edited 10-09-2001).]

[This message has been edited by dla (edited 10-09-2001).]

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by T_Smith:
I'm fairly new to single-actions...

How about carrying it half-cocked with a round in the chamber? Isn't that the purpose of the half-cock? It allows a live round in the chamber without a chance of impact fire?

Just wondering.
No... The purpose on the 1911 for the Half-Cock notch is in the event the sear slip's, or fail's on the Hook engagement.

Definately, the only way to carry the 1911 ready to employ is in Condition 1, Cocked & Locked.

I have done so for many years... If you are not comfortable with this, you may want to try carrying the gun empty, and in C1 around the house for a week or so, and go through the movements, etc that you normally go through. I am gussing that you will find that the hammer hasn't fallen, and build confidence in that mode of carry.

As mentioned, the major reason C2 is not recommended is the fact that you must lower the hammer on a live chamber.

Thunderwear can be an effective method of carry, and with the right gun, a real "Girl Getter"

Seriously, if you decide to use this method, practice the draw constantly, and definately, ensure your weapon is empty... Also, ensure that you practice good trigger finger discipline. No sense having a ND that close to your "buddy"

Be safe, and enjoy!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Originally posted by jaydee:
Thunderwear can be an effective method of carry, and with the right gun, a real "Girl Getter"

Be safe, and enjoy![/B]
Great, now I'm going to buy a thunderwear holster and a 8" Colt for the bar scene.

"Hey baby, wanna see my Python?"

------------------
-Electric Armadillo-

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by Electric_Armadillo:
Great, now I'm going to buy a thunderwear holster and a 8" Colt for the bar scene.

"Hey baby, wanna see my Python?"
LOL... Definately reminds me of Mae West... "Is that a Pistol in your pocket, or are ya just happy to see me"

I would think that a Desert Eagle would be better for the Bar Scene, or course, one of Mark Serbu's 12 gauge pumps could also be quite interesting

·
Registered
18 Posts
I completed my CCW last weekend and was told "cocked and locked" as you may not have enough time to load the weapon should an occurance arrive.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts