1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been carrying close to two years now and just recently within the last couple of months have started to experience a real annoying situation that happens every once in a while. On occasion, as I enter a store, the "security" detector goes off. :mad:

This morning for example, I went to a CVS Pharmacy and as I entered, the alarm went nuts. After I made my purchase and as I left the store interestingly enough, nothing happened.

Overall, it's happened about 4 or 5 times in a variety of stores. Some located in regular large enclosed malls and sometimes in strip malls. One was a Burlington Coat Factory, another was a Sports Authority, and a couple of no national name stores. There are no signs prohibiting guns posted at any of these places.

Metal wise I'm carrying one of my Kimbers on my right hip, one mag and a cell phone essentially together on my left hip.

When I set off an alarm, I of course get "looks" from store personnel. So far in those instances when I've set off an alarm as I've left a store no store person has chosen to confront me. I guess if I were ever confronted I would tactfully allow the store security person to become assured that I didn't steal anything.

This unpredictable "alarm" situation has me quite annoyed. My wife now will not walk into a store or exit one with me because she doesn't want to be embarrassed or go through a possible protocol procedure with a store security person looking for stolen merchandise on one of us.

Up until this point, I thought that store alarms were only activated by some electronic gizmo that wasn't properly deactivated at a cash register. What's up with metal setting off an alarm?

So, is anyone else having the same experience? :scratch: Again, this has started to happen only within the last several months and it's real inconsistent. I know one thing for certain...I'm not going to leave my gun in my car before I go shopping.

Would appreciate your thoughts and ideas. Thanks!

·
Registered
14,937 Posts
I don't think there is any metal detecting going on. Might be the cell phone. It's amazing that it happened going in, but not coming out.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Lots of clothes can have RFID tags in them that you can't see. (Sewn into them!) Take note of what you are wearing when it happens. There may be a common thread.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I had that happen a couple of times. Turns out there was a tag in the sole of a pair of shoes I had recently bought. Try to be aware of what clothes you are wearing each time to narrow it down. I can almost guarantee that there is a "tag" hiding somewhere.

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
I agree, most are not metal detectors but "electronic" detectors. I have also heard of shoes with the tags sewn into them.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Quit stealing stuff and you won't have that problem. ;)

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'd bet it is your cell phone.

I recently went to the mall:barf: (I'm NOT a mall person) with my wife and we bought an I-Pod for my son for Christmas. We left that store and she needed to do more shopping, so I kind of "Mall-Zombied" and strolled around to several different stores. EACH one of the stores I went into had the alarm go off when I entered. At the first one, the clerk just looked up and saw the Radio Shack bag and said, "I-Pod or Cell Phone?" I said "Yes, an I-Pod. What gives?" He stated that it would set off most of the alarms in the mall when you walk in for some reason that I now forget. I was wondering at first myself as I was carrying my Commader on me. Sure enough, the other store alarms would go off when I entered and I would just hold up the Radio Shack bag and say, "I-Pod." and the clerks would just smile and nod. The alarms didn't go off when I left every store though. I'm guessing that some cell phones also set some of the alarms off from the statement of the clerk from the first store.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
It was the Cell.. The same thing happened to me in a department store.. The girl that worked there told me it was my cell and that it happened often.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
One more vote for Cell Phone

Both my and the wife's cell has set them off when they have the gain set too high.

·
Premium Member
5,477 Posts
The most common anto theft tags in stores use a magnetic field to cause the ferrite/metal strip to vibrate in the ultrsonic range. Either accoustic or electric sensing can be used.
They then pick up the sound and set of the alarm.

Once degaused the tag no longer will vibrate in the magnetic field.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I've been carrying nearly everyday for over three decades. This has never happened to me. Whatever is setting off the store security, it isn't your handgun.

·
Registered
130 Posts
A lot of stores have switched from the large clunky detectors to little tags inside the clothes. I set a bunch off when I walked into stores because I didn't check inside my pants. There is a large square tag that says in little letters to cut along the dotted line. Check that.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Though municipal buildings may, retail stores don't employ typical magnetometers at entrances-exits.

In twenty two years of daily CCW in many different states, I've never had a store entry-exit "theft detector" go off as I was passing through. Something else is going on.

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Problem Solved! Thanks to All!

Guys, I really appreciate all your advice and opinions. Based on what I learned from your input I went through a process of elimination and finally found the "culprit".

I went back to two of the closest stores where I was setting off the alarms. I tried turning off my cell phone and had no luck. It wasn't the cell phone. Then I switched jackets...Bingo!

Turns out that a new winter (ski-type) jacket that I bought recently is causing the problem. My wife and I went through it trying to find some kind of tag or security device. We even turned the sleeves and pockets inside out and didn't find anything unusual. The only visible tag had the instructions on how to dry clean or wash it. That part of the mystery remains and that's OK with me. At least I know now that "something" in the jacket is causing the problem.

The lesson learned for me is that it wasn't my gun or extra mag, cell phone or anything metal setting off the alarms. What a relief!

So thanks again to everyone for your insightful comments. I was really starting to get annoyed and paranoid because of the situation and now it's a done deal.

·
Banned
389 Posts
Degauss your jacket.

Why not have a clerk run your jacket very carefully over the degaussing pad they use to deactivate RFID tags?

I'm guessing the tag is inserted into the filler/insulation of the jacket. The 'tag' doesn't have to look like a tag.

Just a thought.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts