1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With Colt, Kimber and SA all pricing themselves out of the average working man's reach, I'm looking at a CD Compact(SS) as a possible CCW weapon. I'm primarily interested in the EMS and ECS models.

Anyone with any experience with these is encourage to post your experiences, thoughts....and regrets, along with any PICS. TIA

·
Banned
65 Posts
I hope someone posts positively for you as, I have one of the full sized blued models and it rocks!
At a local shoot-out shindig today, a friend bought his full sized stainless with the adjustable sights. It both looks and shoots geat.
From what I gather, the compact 1911s of any manufacturer can be problematic.

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I have a blued Daly Commander model, and it has been a good performer.

I picked this one up used for $270 OTD. I replaced the trigger and cleaned up the sear/hammer. It has a nice 4 lb trigger pull and is reasonably tight in slide and barrel fit.

No feed problems with the supplied (Mec-Gar) mag, or my McCormicks.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: the Commander model: Does it have a bull barrel or does it use a bushing, a la Colt's Commander?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
This one is the bushingless, cone shaped barrel design.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Anyone know if the slide on the commander size CD/RIA can take a regular bushing barell? I'm interested on one too. But I want to be able to switch to regular barell, 'coz I have a ported bushing barell just gathering dust. :)

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I have an Officers Model that does pretty good at 15 yards. No chance toee if it'll handle hollow points BUT it works well with hardball loads. It also appears to be a better made than my government model bought about 3 years ago. They appear to be getting better as they go along. I just wish they're barrels were better made as all of mine were pretty badlt manufactured. I wish I can get a "commander" model now.

rimfire,22

·
Registered
670 Posts
I have a two tone ECS and love it. It has NEVER faild to digest anything I feed it. It is my primary CCW due to it's small size. I shoot a 200gr SWC at the range, and carry a 230gr Gold Dot on the street. At 15yds it will shoot a ragged one hole group if you can hold steady. When I get home I'll try to post a pic if I still have one.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Local dealer has a blued 'Commander' CD, with STANDARD 'Commander' barrel and bushing setup....NOT a coned barrel... :confused:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Here's a pic of my Two Tone CD ECS I mentioned above. Can't tell much about it other than it has Hogue wrap arounds grips. Those have been removed since the pic was taken, and I have checkered the front strap.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Local dealer has a blued 'Commander' CD, with STANDARD 'Commander' barrel and bushing setup....NOT a coned barrel...
They have been offered in both configurations.

I have an EMS and an ECS and both have been flawless through upwards of 2000 rounds each. I consider both to be well made weapons.

Vance

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had a blue Daly ECS for a while this past summer.
It was my first 1911-style pistol.

It shot low, but I thought it was the trigger.
The rear sight fell off, but some loctite on the screw fixed that.
(Read about the same thing happening to SA guns.)

It fed fmj and jhp over the 300 or so rounds I put through it.

I had my 'smith do some trigger work on it.
Still shot 2" low at 15yds.
Then it started getting light strikes.

I explained the problems to the dealer where I bought it, and traded it for a Ruger P97.

The main complaint against smaller 1911s is that they don't feed reliably.
I really liked the size of the ECS, and it fed everything,
I wish it had worked out.

Now the same dealer has a stainless ECS.
Man, it looks sweet.

I searched here, thefiringline.com, and thehighroad.org.
Comments about Daly guns seem to run about 50/50, with more recent guns getting better reviews.

They seem to be a low cost way to get into 1911 shooting.
I've read of people using a Daly to test high octane reloads.
Another poster bought a full size to use with a carbine conversion, but liked it so well, he kept it stock.

If you search the Kimber, Springfield, Para, etc. forums, you'll find a really similar list of problems with new guns.
Seems like it is expected if your $1000 gun has to go back to the factory. If your $300 Daly isn't perfect, it's junk. :rolleyes:
Go figure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
my cd commander is my first 1911 and after two years of shooting it, i don't have any major complaints. one minor issue though is the inconsistent ejection of shells, but aside from that, everything is a go. here is a pic...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts