1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting this thread a little early, but I figured I may as well give you guys some kind of idea what to expect when you send your guns back to the factory. I'll update daily to reflect the gun's status, so don't think "No word from CD" is meant as a negative thing since I have no idea when I should hear something from them. If need be, we'll decide together the definition of "too long", "decent service", "good service", or "amazing service".

The gun was picked up for overnight delivery Friday (delivery on Tuesday I would guess).

05/29/01 No word from CD

05/30/01 As of 1300, the issue has been settled. I'm going to go out on a limb here(LOL), but I'll say we will all agree that that the service was not "amazing", instead it was "spectacular" at the very least.

I'm going to now list the reasons I say the service was spectacular:

1. My review posts made it clear I had voided the warranty by working on the gun, yet I was still instructed to send the gun back and was assured I would be satisfied (Did anyone wonder why I hadn't mentioned sending it back before then?).

2. I consider 27 hours to be a pretty short time period considering it was a holliday weekend. They got the gun around 1000 yesterday and answered me at 1300 today. Impressive.

3. There was no mention of the gun beyond Rick telling me they were going to replace it. No "why did you work on it?", "did you know you voided the warranty?", NOTHING. Just "we will replace the gun".

4. Although I think james beam was kidding about them upgrading this FS model to an enhanced model, that is exactly what they are going to do!

5. They are upgrading the gun to an enhanced model, which is slightly over $100 more in price, yet they were worried that I may not want a blued gun when my original was two-tone. Although they were more than happy to send me a two-tone when one arrived, I opted for the blued model that could be sent immediately. Hell, send me an upgraded gun and I don't care if the thing is green!

If anyone can't tell, I'm very satisfied and more than a little bit surprised by the service I received.

My dealer is pretty sure he has his FFL on file at KBI, so I could be reviewing this new gun very soon.

[This message has been edited by Walking Point (edited 05-30-2001).]

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sounds like they did the right thing. So far, I've been just plain tickled with my CD ECS.....no problems at all; so hopefully I won't have to utilize their customer service in the first place. But it sure does sound like they have a better handle on things than a certain CT based company that makes a .44 bulldog.........which took six weeks and 50 phone calls and a terse threat to write the CEO.......then it took another week.......lol. Hope this one works out!

·
Registered
233 Posts
now nobody cant say that charles daly doesnt stand behind ther customers/products.
they care enough to monitor this forum as well. i have nothing but good to say about my daly 1911, and for those who produced it. i hope you get your new daly soon walking point
i hope your able to get my picture posted on the stippling job i did to my daly?

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reason 6. I should end up with 4 magazines since I didn't return the original two.

Other than being different looking and not working with a mag well equipped gun, I haven't been able to find anything to complain about concerning these Italian magazines. The spring looks so odd that I was initially thinking negative thoughts, but when I had the Brazilian slide on the CD frame, there were no magazine related problems from the CD mags.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have had nothing but good things from KBI and Charles Daly customer service. Even when I send them an e-mail, they get back to me within a day at the most, usually the same day.

Just got my .45 back from a half cock problem, I sent it out last friday, got it back today.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Wow! I am very impressed with the response from the folks at Charles Daly. Nice to know that they back their products. I am happy to have purchased one of their pistols.

good shootin', gf

·
Registered
711 Posts
Walking Point;

I wonder if your “review” you posted here in the past couple weeks had anything to do with the fast service from CD?

------------------
Bullseye Rules!

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've considered the possibility that I may have gotten special treatment, but I have no evidence to either confirm or deny it.

If I was to guess, then I'd guess KBI has treated me like anyone else.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Originally posted by Walking Point:
I've considered the possibility that I may have gotten special treatment, but I have no evidence to either confirm or deny it.

If I was to guess, then I'd guess KBI has treated me like anyone else.
Well, I sent an email to CD service, describing my FTE trouble, today. I can let the list know how it goes for me.
BG

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well, unfortunately, even though I'm pleased with my CD so far, e-mail contact and response with KBI/CD isn't looking pretty.
Sorry to change course from my previous reply, but I'm not pleased.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Originally posted by Buickguy:
Well, I sent an email to CD service, describing my FTE trouble, today. I can let the list know how it goes for me.
BG
So far my service experience has been on par with Walking Point's
My email was sent after close of business on Monday and I had a response by 10:00 a.m. Tuesday. They are going to issue a call tag for my CD and have it looked at.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's an example of what I've been getting from them:

WP - Has my dealers FFL showed up in the mail yet?

KBI - As of today, June 5, 2001, we have not received your dealer's FFL. Your
firearm is ready to be shipped to you as soon as it is received. As
previously stated, we will be overnighting the firearm.

WP - Thanks for the response. Will you let me know when it's received and the gun is shipped?

KBI - I will let you know when your firearm is shipped to you. I will also
include the tracking number for your convenience.

WP - Thanks a lot for putting up with my pestering. I guess I'm spoiled and not used to having to wait on the US Mail to deliver anything I actually care about.

KBI - I understand completely how you feel. I too would be anxious for
my firearm to be back in my hands. Hopefully, we will receive the FFL today
and will be able to expedite this matter for you.

I've dealt with 2 people there so far. One made the decision on replacing the gun, and the other has been putting up with all of my e-mails. Both have been a pleasure to deal with.

And finally what will probably be the last e-mail from them:

KBI - I have good news for you. We received your dealer's FFL today. I have personally made sure that your new 1911 was shipped overnight to xxxxxxx Gun Shop. I have made a notation on the repair order to have them contact you immediately. If you have any problems or concerns, please don't hesitate
to contact me immediately.

I'll pick the gun up tomorrow and hope this story has a happy ending. I'll leave it stock for the initial trial (Ok, maybe I'll replace the trigger and I have to have wrap-around grips), but tomorrow night I'll take some photos of the gun and it's parts and we can see the difference (there had better be a difference!) between this pistol and the first one.

[This message has been edited by Walking Point (edited 06-06-2001).]

·
Registered
331 Posts
So far my service experience has been on par with Walking Point's. They are going to issue a call tag for my CD and have it looked at.
CD sent the call tag. It arrived today and my FS is on it's way to service.
Again everything pretty much the same way the WalkingPoint's went.
I must say that I am impressed with the service so far
BG

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I experienced customer service at both ends of the spectrum today.

On the positive side, KBI sent me another nice e-mail and my new EFS arrived at my local dealer by 10:28 this mornign as promised.

On the negative side, my local dealer was shooting prairie dogs somewhere in the US, his assistant was doing his 2 week Army Reserve thing, and 2 guys who didn't know squat volunteered to watch his shop this week.

I had to hand around BSing with these guys for 4 hours while we waited on the owner to call in to tell them how to log the gun (as well as several others) in and handle the replacement paperwork.

The new gun looks very good. The hammer is glass smooth, the extractor looks fine, the wood grips are a huge improvement, the finish seems to look better, and the sights are a definite improvement. That's all I could really see right off, and will check it out in detail this evening.

If it shoots as good as it looks, then it will shoot pretty damn good. I'm going to try to do without the wrap-around grips since these wood grips are a little more filling than some I've seen, and may work just fine. I'll mention again that they are pretty good looking.

I'm not about to complain about getting an obviously superior EFS for the price of my original FS model. Side-by-side comparison against another new FS made it clear why the EFS is $100 more.

This gun was inspected 4/28/01, so I don't know if that makes it one of the ones with Colt type grip screws or what. Honestly I don't care one way or the other.

I also bought a Colt Defender (breaking my pre-series 70 only rule), but thanks to this state's one insane gun law, I can't take it home until June 17th. But that's another story for another forum...

·
Registered
331 Posts
CD sent the call tag. It arrived today and my FS is on it's way to service.
Again everything pretty much the same way the WalkingPoint's went.
I must say that I am impressed with the service so far
BG
The CD FS should have arrived today from what I can tell from FedEx tracking. No word yet from service. It's still a bit early, but minutes can seem like hours to those who wait.

·
Registered
331 Posts
06/08/01 The CD FS should have arrived today from what I can tell from FedEx tracking. No word yet from service. It's still a bit early, but minutes can seem like hours to those who wait.
06/11/01 No word yet from Charles Daly

06/12/01 No word yet from Charles Daly

06/13/01 No word yet from Charles Daly

06/14/01 Sent email inquiry to Charles Daly service at 9:45 a.m.

[This message has been edited by Buickguy (edited 06-14-2001).]

·
Registered
331 Posts
06/11/01 No word yet from Charles Daly

06/12/01 No word yet from Charles Daly

06/13/01 No word yet from Charles Daly

06/14/01 Sent email inquiry to Charles Daly service at 9:45 a.m.

Answer from CD service at 11:45 a.m. Pistol received 6/8, still waiting evaluation from gunsmith

[This message has been edited by Buickguy (edited 06-14-2001).]

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would have to say that Walking Point's service does qualify for Outstanding. You voided your warranty and they didn't hesitate to not only fix your gun, but upgraded you to a better model?! SWEET!

On Brickguy, it seems to be less than that, but not too bad yet, eh? (Then again, I'm not the one waiting for my gun, lol)

Fezwig

1 - 20 of 25 Posts