1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my first 1911 style firearm & I wanted to determine if this was a reasonable price?

The dealer had originally quoted me $400.00 for it but when I spoke to him again today he said it would be $485.00...this even though he said the cost on it would be the same as the older generation CD which he quoted at $400.00.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

------------------
"The urge to save
humanity is almost always
a false front for the
urge to rule."
H.L. Mencken

·
Registered
523 Posts
I think you might want to do a little more shopping. The stainless variety here in OH are around $370 - 420 brand spankin' new!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Shopping around a bit might be worth it. Stainless CD's are going for about $425 in central Iowa. Let us know when you get that Daly.

good shootin', gf

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by gunny:
Shopping around a bit might be worth it. Stainless CD's are going for about $425 in central Iowa. Let us know when you get that Daly.

good shootin', gf
I picked it up tonight for $400.00. Its a price I am comfortable with. Fit & finish look good & held up next to a Kimber I saw very little difference cosmetically.

I plan on shooting it on Sunday. I'll post what we find on reliablity, accuracy, etc.

Good looking little .45...its my first & I did not want to spend close to or over $1K on a Kimber not knowing if I was going to keep it or even like it.

I already have a buyer for it who is offerring me the same price as what I paid for it...so I lose nothing by trying it out.

Thanks for all your advice...it helped in my "negotiations."

------------------
"The urge to save
a false front for the
urge to rule."
H.L. Mencken

·
Registered
555 Posts
No offense to CD owners (I was one), but I wouldn't plunk down almost $500 for a CD when I could get a Springfield, Colt or Kimber for about $100 more. The CD is attractive because of the large price difference between it and other 1911s. If it loses that edge it will become history. Again, no offense to CD owners, but you can't compare the quality of CD parts with U.S. manufactured guns.

·
Registered
233 Posts
noah....seen the EFS STAINLESS AND THE BLUE MODLE, daly has done more than just add gripps and rear sights. today is the first time i hade a chance to hold one and give it a look over. compared to ther previous modle they have done a makeover", barrel bushing & link and even the hammer didnt show any defected casting marks on it. slide to fram was tighter. im really impressing at the great accomplishment daly has done to ther line of 1911"s. stainless is $473.69 and the blue is $411.59 befor it looked like fast production-loose parts quick slape together and out the door. now it seems to be more handcrafted and custom fitted. im looking forward to hearing more reports on the EFS. ESSPECIALY THE STAINLESS
IM SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING BUYING ANOTHER ONE MYSELF! i love the one i have now,i stapled the froint strap today and it turn out great,but my mainspring housing is checkered/oh well...it looks nice and has a hell of a gripp
i can see why the price has sord.....ther for awhile, i just thought they just added wooden gripps & sights.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by james beam:
noah....seen the EFS STAINLESS AND THE BLUE MODLE, daly has done more than just add gripps and rear sights. today is the first time i hade a chance to hold one and give it a look over. compared to ther previous modle they have done a makeover", barrel bushing & link and even the hammer didnt show any defected casting marks on it. slide to fram was tighter. im really impressing at the great accomplishment daly has done to ther line of 1911"s. stainless is $473.69 and the blue is $411.59 befor it looked like fast production-loose parts quick slape together and out the door. now it seems to be more handcrafted and custom fitted. im looking forward to hearing more reports on the EFS. ESSPECIALY THE STAINLESS
IM SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING BUYING ANOTHER ONE MYSELF! i love the one i have now,i stapled the froint strap today and it turn out great,but my mainspring housing is checkered/oh well...it looks nice and has a hell of a gripp
i can see why the price has sord.....ther for awhile, i just thought they just added wooden gripps & sights.
I am taking a Kimber, Colt, & CD with me to the range tomorrow. Going to shoot all three with the same ammo & see what we find.

Cosmetically, I see only minor differences between the three. The CD has a few rough edges around the extractor area & the Kimber/Colt finshes are a bit more "polished" but the real test will be how each shoots.

I'll post what I find.

PS
I bought the stainless CD EFS model for $400.00 plus S&H & taxes.

------------------
"The urge to save
a false front for the
urge to rule."
H.L. Mencken

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Kimber did great.

The Colt did great.

The CD did AWFUL!

Consistent failure to fire & failure to load. I was very disappointed. I will probably get rid of it this week & trade up to a Kimber. Quite frustrating as the reviews I had read about it were all positive.

Too bad as the gun looked pretty good. Closer inspection in the sunlight showed "black dots" along the backstap area. Not sure what these are but the used Colt & Kimber did not have these, while the brand new CD did.

The only time it shot right was one time in rapid fire. Otherwise it kept locking up or would not fire with a live round in the chamber. Removing the round showed pin contact but no discharge. Re-feeding the round & shooting it again worked about 2/3rds of the time.

Bottom line IMHO: you get what you pay for.

------------------
"The urge to save
a false front for the
urge to rule."
H.L. Mencken

·
Registered
555 Posts
I recently owned a new enhanced Daly. The slide to frame fit was good, the barrel lockup decent, the finish acceptable and the accuracy was very good. Where the Daly broke down was in the internals. Comparing it to a Kimber, the hammer was not nearly as well finished, the extractor, disconnector and sear were cruder and not polished. While some of these parts could be replaced, the costs would rival a new Kimber, especially with the higher CD prices. In the end, you'd still have a CD. You pay in the front end or in the back end, but you pay.

·
Registered
233 Posts
HAY NOAH, sorry to hear about your newer daly
when i looked one over it seemed to have been approving on the exterior, i didnt get to take apart/other than field striping. my daly did just fine out of the box....but like howardk said the interior parts...esspecialy in the slide, is of exstremly poor quaility. but should still work-for awhile anyways
i have replaced all my frame and slide parts,except the gripp safty and barrel. sear and hammer is a wilsons set, mainspring housing ace custom 45's,rest is ed brown parts,oh and a kings match trigger, CMC rearsights and gripps. noah did you use reloads or daly maggs??reloaded ammo can be out of spec's,magazines too? it should of work out of the box.leet us know how things work out

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by james beam:
HAY NOAH, sorry to hear about your newer daly
when i looked one over it seemed to have been approving on the exterior, i didnt get to take apart/other than field striping. my daly did just fine out of the box....but like howardk said the interior parts...esspecialy in the slide, is of exstremly poor quaility. but should still work-for awhile anyways
i have replaced all my frame and slide parts,except the gripp safty and barrel. sear and hammer is a wilsons set, mainspring housing ace custom 45's,rest is ed brown parts,oh and a kings match trigger, CMC rearsights and gripps. noah did you use reloads or daly maggs??reloaded ammo can be out of spec's,magazines too? it should of work out of the box.leet us know how things work out

I used the supplied mags from CD.

I also used reloads & factory ammo. The CD did about the same with each one. No problems with the other two.

Kimber...here I come.

------------------
"The urge to save
a false front for the
urge to rule."
H.L. Mencken

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I picked up the Kimber Classic Stainless Target in full size today. It looks & feels great. No pitting like on the CD.

Will shoot it this weekend, but I don't expect to have any troubles with it like I did with the CD.

I must say, however, that upon notifying them of my disappointment in their product, they immediately responded with two emails instructing me on repair/replacement procedures.

Good customer service at CD. We'll see what happens with their analysis of why their FS Stainless did so poorly.

------------------
"The urge to save
a false front for the
urge to rule."
H.L. Mencken

1 - 17 of 17 Posts