1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally have my first gripe about my CD FS. The extractor broke while on the range yesterday. The hook is fine, the fracture happened between the hook and the next bump. I have only fired approximately 6100 rounds through the pistol. Is the extractor being a cast part to blame? What is the life-round expectancy of a quality extractor?

Anyway, I went to order one of Wilson's Bullet Proof extractors and Brownell's did not have it in stock. I went with the Ed Brown Hardcore extractor. Any thoughts?

take care and good shootin', gf

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
Chuck extractors are pretty much junk. They are too brittle. Any of the Wilson or Ed Brown extractors will work just fine. I have settled on the Ed Brown Match extractor. Don't know what the life is as I have seen 1911s with over 100,000 rds. through them with the original extractor.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Cast extractors are basically garbage compared to "real" extractors. I'm surprised your's survived as long as it did.

You have ordered one of the best extractors there is, so the only concern is how much fitting it will require. Let us know how much needs to be ground off.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am constantly impressed with Brownell's. I ordered the Ed Brown Hardcore extractor and few other goodies at 0730 yesterday. The package was on my doorstep at 1000 today. Great service and that flat rate shipping is hard to beat!

Anyway, The Brown extractor inserted smoothly and the tension needed just a tiny bit of adjustment to hold a round properly. The tail-end of the extractor protrudes approximately 1/16th" from the rear of the slide.

Took it out to the range and it functioned perfectly. It appeared that spent brass lay in a closer diameter, but I could be wrong.

I guess I have a couple of options now...

1) grind/file 1/16th" from the rear of the extractor and re-blue

2) do nothing and live with the 1/16th" protusion as it does not affect the functioning of the pistol

Right now I am comfortable with option #2. A skilled person would go with option #1 and it would certainly look more professional. I think I will wait until I have another extractor on hand to complete option #1. I don't have any experience re-blueing and need this pistol for two matches this weekend.

Any thoughts?

good shootin',gf

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
With 2 matches this weekend, option #2 seems good. I will say that I think it would be nearly impossible to ruin an extractor though. Buy some cold blue and follow the instructions and you should have no problem.

There is a contour to the back of the extractor, maybe more of an angle, but it will need to be matched in order to get a professional appearance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts