1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot 200 rounds through my INGLIS today. Everything was cool with my mecgars and my 15 rounder CDNN. But when I switched to my 17's everything went south.

The bullets would feed at a high angle, thus getting clogged in the chamber.

I took off of the floorplates and I switched around the spring, and it worked!!

Anyone have finikey CDNN's or did I just not put them together right when I first cleaned them?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Sounds like the spring was in backwards, especially since reversing it cured the problem :)

I have 3 of the 17 rounders and 1 15 rounder and in ~2000 rounds I've only had one failure, it was when the follower in one of the 17 rounders got stuck. Took the mag out of the gun and rapped it hard with my hand and it freed up. Some day when I'm ambitious I'll take it apart and polish the edges, but 1 failure in about 500 rounds for that one mag is more than good enough for range work.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didnt know that springs needed to be in a certian way. It dosnt seem like my MECGARS are picky, is it just the CDNN's?

I had two 17's and one after the switch the parked one still wouldnt feed. I think that is because it was orginally a 15 parked, tonite I will use my blued 17 as a example to correct the others.

I also had a Remington auto-5, and the friction rings were not in correctally, so my first 20 minutes of shooting were mostly "range adjustments" while my pals just blasted away with a plastic gun(Styer). But after I corrected al my problems, everyone loved my p35! It was just beginning to get dark, so the muzzle flash was super impressive. It was hard to clean up all the spent shells, but we left the site clean.

Alll in all it was a good shoot. 200 rounds and the gun shot fine with no problems, except the mags, which were not the guns fault. It is a good feeling.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Some mags like the springs in certain ways, others don't. I have a lot of mags that not only have an up/down, but front/back too. And other mags have springs that'll go anyways buy sideways and work.

It sounds like the base of the cartridge was lower than it should be? This is a classic soft spring, sticky follower, or unproperly supported follower problem. Getting the springs in correctly (thereby getting proper force distribution on the follower) should fix it. While you have the spring out might as well check the followers for burrs and polish them off. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hansgraf said:
unproperly supported follower problem.
Yea, the cartrage was feeding right into the top of the chamber. Oh I dont like it when things dont go right, but this outcome was better. After that I put 200 rounds downrange fast!

Those 17's just keep going and going and going!

·
Registered
688 Posts
I bought a couple of the KRD 17 rounders the other summer. When I started using them, the followers would flip upside down, putting the spring in a U shape.
So I loaded them full up and let 'em set for a few weeks. When I used them again, they worked. They still work to this day.

I don't really trust them for carry, but I use them for practice and casual competition.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts